Archived Topic

Longhorns game week thread. If you have

by hookemhorns · 9/3/2013

Advertisement
H
hookemhorns
questions about the Horns let me know guys. I will be as honest and thorough as possible. A bit of background: I graduated from UT in 1998 and currently live in Austin. My son is a Freshmen at Texas...YES, following Dad's footsteps. LOL. Again, wish for a great game and have nothing but respect for BYU and what your school represents.
N
northerncougar
hookemhorns wrote:
questions about the Horns let me know guys. I will be as honest and thorough as possible. A bit of background: I graduated from UT in 1998 and currently live in Austin. My son is a Freshmen at Texas...YES, following Dad's footsteps. LOL. Again, wish for a great game and have nothing but respect for BYU and what your school represents.


No questions yet, but want to say thank you Hookem for being such a class act. Other than Saturday, :crazy: , I hope UT has a fantastic season. Always liked Texas.
H
hookemhorns
You're welcome! There is for sure one thing we can all agree on, FOOTBALL is finally here!
S
SpiffCoug
What happened at the start of the NMSU game? Seems like you guys took almost a half to get going? What changed? What was NMSU doing early in that game?
W
Wolfman
SpiffCoug wrote:
What happened at the start of the NMSU game? Seems like you guys took almost a half to get going? What changed? What was NMSU doing early in that game?

It took a half for Texas to get interested.
Advertisement
H
hookemhorns
Hi Spiff. Great questions!



1. 3 turnovers my friend. No excuses. WR Mike Davis was careless with the ball and had it knocked out after an awesome play and Ash threw 2 interceptions. One was cause of a deflection. I give a ton of credit to NMSU, they came to fight and we came in to scrimmage and that type of slow start is what angers me about Texas at times.



2. What changed? After NMSU scored to make it 7-0, it's like the offense suddenly realized, hey, we're in a real game. The lights just turned on. For one, Ash seemed to calm down and hit 2 quick touchdowns to make it 14-7 at halftime. After that, our depth and speed took over. Look for a guy name Daje Johnson this week. This guy is a game breaker.



Bottom line, we cannot have that type of slow start against the Cougs or we will be in a dogfight. I don't care how much our depth and talent has improved over the last few years. You know how football is, heart can't be measured!
N
northerncougar
I am hearing that the OLine for TX is a weak spot. Any truth to this?
H
hookemhorns
Hi northern! Yes, there is some truth to that I think. Yes, our depth has improved but that depth is still young. There has been a cry for change, namely moving Espinoza from center and putting in one of our young bucks, a guy named Kent Perkins, to give us more push in the middle. Also, look for Harrison, the guy that took that class from BYU to get some time. The dude is a load. Overall, the line I want to believe has improved but time will tell. I have confidence in our pass protection, but the jury is still out on our run blocking, namely between the tackles.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Is UT by any chance so not scared by our offense that it actually makes them scared in a Twilight Zone kind of way?
H
hookemhorns
LOL!!! Now that's a new one. Lets put it this way, on any given Saturday anyone can be beat as you know. So my Horns would be wise in covering all their bases no matter who they play if that makes sense. :)
M
Mars


Is Texas' strength in the run game or the pass game this year?



Ash has been up and he has been down. How are you feeling about him as your starting QB nowadays?



Does Texas seem to be putting an extra emphasis on this game after the Harrison issue?
H
hookemhorns
Hi Mars! At this way early stage I would have to say the passing game is our strength. It seems we have recruited well at the skill positions and have play makers everywhere again finally!! The running game is a bit behind in large part because our line. We have a ton of really good RBs as you probably know, but we have to wait and see how consistent the OL is in regards to our push in the middle. Again, I put that blame squarely on Mack. He is still paying for his past sins of not recruiting enough big uglys. Our great big uglys are still young.



In regards to Ash, personally I feel pretty good. Coaches have taken off the leash and have told him "you see an opening and nobody down field, RUN and make something happen." They told that to Vince and Colt when they trusted them and obviously the results were great. When Ash runs, it seems like that loosens him up and he throws better. Again, time will tell my friend.



You know what, in regards to Harrison, I would say no. Mack said this week that Bronco and him are great friends and the Harrison issue has absolutely no bearing on the Horns motivation. He said going to Provo to play BYU is incentive enough. Now, maybe Harrison has extra motivation with what went down. You can expect to see him on the OL for about 20 to 30 plays according to what Mack said at his press conference.
H
Hookem
Haha! Reading Hookemhorns, I swear I'm reading what would be my own responses to your questions. In fact, I like his responses better than mine.



Hookemhorns knows his stuff, gentlemen.
Advertisement
G
Guest
It's fun and interesting to have Hookem, our long time Texas friend and hookemhorns, another classy Texas fan on our site. I'm really grateful that we have you guys and your insights into Texas football. You are both fine ambassadors for the program and I hope you find that BYU fans are a class act also!
N
northerncougar
Hookem wrote:
Haha! Reading Hookemhorns, I swear I'm reading what would be my own responses to your questions. In fact, I like his responses better than mine.



Hookemhorns knows his stuff, gentlemen.


I agree with what Hawk said concerning both of you and it wasn't until Hookem mentioned in another thread that he and hookemhorns were different people that it even registered with me. :lol:



Mainly because your responses are similar and you are both class acts. Hookem, glad you are still around. Hookemhorns, welcome and you as impressive as Hookem.



To both of you: Nice work and you are class acts. And I hope your team wins all but one game this year. :evil:
H
Hookem
hawkwing wrote:
It's fun and interesting to have Hookem, our long time Texas friend and hookemhorns, another classy Texas fan on our site. I'm really grateful that we have you guys and your insights into Texas football. You are both fine ambassadors for the program and I hope you find that BYU fans are a class act also!


Thanks, buddy! I really appreciate this board, and all of the posters here. You guys have been extremely gracious to let us on here.



BTW, the video at the bottom of your page reminded me of one of my all time favorite video's that I saw not long ago, I believe on The Bleacher Report. The cowardly look on that guys face is classic.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxWaJ9glRsI
H
hookemhorns
Thanks guys! Glad I'm being mentioned even in the same breath as Hookem! ;) Just trying to give ya'll honest and knowledgeable answers and hopefully I'm making some sense. LOL.
M
Mars


I came up with some more...



1- Ash is a great dual-threat QB, both running and throwing better than our starter (Hill). Especially comparing their opening games- his 2nd half against NMSU was at an all-time level for Texas' QB production. Does Mack have a goal for how many yards the QB RUNS for this week against BYU? I honestly don't know how well this year's BYU defense will limit that. I expect fairly well, but it's early so who knows.



2- Just looking at some quick statistics, Texas seemed to have some problems stopping the run last year. Am I reading the numbers wrong, or if not, has that problem been fixed for the Longhorns this season? I saw 9 returning defensive starters, and 104 rush yards for NMSU, both of which seem to be good signs.



3- Taje- Is he a RB, a WR, or both? I assume he's starting now after some minor discipline problems last year. And he sounds SCARY fast!!



4- The "high altitude training masks". Do you think they'll really give Texas an advantage in this game?



5- Whose offensive pace do you expect to be faster (say, total number of plays run), ours or yours? Who will wear out who first?



6- It looks like Harrison will play, but that with little practice time he's still the back-up for now. I saw three 4-star OL in Texas' 2013 recruiting class. Are any of those freshmen seeing time yet?





That's it for now! :lol: Looking forward to the game, I'll be there, and I hope that any Texas fans who make the trip do so safely and have a great time! Tell them to look Hawk up and make him buy them a rootbeer! :whistle:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.