Archived Topic

Let's call it what it is...

by Schmoe · 9/2/2013

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
The UVA game was simply weird: Lightning delay, rain, first game, no Hoff etc. I'm as frustrated as anyone with the loss, especially the way it went down, but I'm willing to call it a wash and look forward to next week. I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful.
B
BoiseBYU
I'm with you--almost. I'm not sure I am hopeful for a win against Texas. But I am hopeful for improvement. Better throws and more catches.
M
mtnradio
you are right ... it was a weird and disappointing week, not the season.

I'm not confident in a strong year, but still hopeful. Texas will be very tough ... I can dream off a win, but reality says hope for a close respectable game ( but lightening DOES strike, . ..)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bigbluepuma
I wasn't on here yesterday, and what I expected to see when I did get on was a bunch of posts writing the cougs off as dead. I'm really glad to see that at least some are willing to call it what it is: the first game for a new coaching staff and a new QB. I'm certainly not ready to say that they'll turn right around and run the table, but I am absolutely sure that they will improve, and that they will win some games, and have at least a reasonably good season. Still love my cougs!
S
scott715
Agreed. I was at the game. We got some problems but we can get better. Could have, should have won the game. Heartbreak loss but still had a good time. Met a lot of wonderful people on both sides. The best part was the great turnout of fans. We fought it out with them for who would be loudest.



One area for improvement is our cheerleaders need to stop the yells when our offense is running a play. I think our corner did a great job of being loud during their offense. The UVAA fans were looking at us with amazement.
Advertisement
M
mtnradio
scott715 wrote:
Agreed. I was at the game. We got some problems but we can get better. Could have, should have won the game. Heartbreak loss but still had a good time. Met a lot of wonderful people on both sides. The best part was the great turnout of fans. We fought it out with them for who would be loudest.



One area for improvement is our cheerleaders need to stop the yells when our offense is running a play. I think our corner did a great job of being loud during their offense. The UVAA fans were looking at us with amazement.


BYU has dedicated fans wherever they go .. and I'm proud of all you who do it! good job!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Can't tell how many we were as their fans wore blue too and we had some fans in white. Last year they only had one sell out to V Tech. They were close to sell out. Scalpers bought some tickets from my friend so their were people showing up.
N
nickdutson
bigbluepuma wrote:
I wasn't on here yesterday, and what I expected to see when I did get on was a bunch of posts writing the cougs off as dead. I'm really glad to see that at least some are willing to call it what it is: the first game for a new coaching staff and a new QB. I'm certainly not ready to say that they'll turn right around and run the table, but I am absolutely sure that they will improve, and that they will win some games, and have at least a reasonably good season. Still love my cougs!


Strange because Virginia had more new coaches and a new QB as well.
M
mizzoucoug
I too am willing to wipe the slate clean, but if I start dozing off in the 2nd quarter again watching this offense then it becomes time to write off another season in BYU-land.
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
I too am willing to wipe the slate clean, but if I start dozing off in the 2nd quarter again...

How old are you mizzou?? ;)
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
nickdutson wrote:
I wasn't on here yesterday, and what I expected to see when I did get on was a bunch of posts writing the cougs off as dead. I'm really glad to see that at least some are willing to call it what it is: the first game for a new coaching staff and a new QB. I'm certainly not ready to say that they'll turn right around and run the table, but I am absolutely sure that they will improve, and that they will win some games, and have at least a reasonably good season. Still love my cougs!


Strange because Virginia had more new coaches and a new QB as well.


Yeah, and they looked almost identical to us and will probably improve this season, like us.
A
Alphaleonis
I thought of started a thread - a poll of which you'd rather be this morning - a Boise State fan, an Oregon State fan, or a BYU fan. But I think this thread says the same thing.
V
vancouvercougar
Alphaleonis wrote:
I thought of started a thread - a poll of which you'd rather be this morning - a Boise State fan, an Oregon State fan, or a BYU fan. But I think this thread says the same thing.


A friend in my ward is a BSU Bronco fan, And we have many beaver fans in our ward. Nobody was happy at church today. But the beavers Were ranked in some polls and they lost to an FCS school. The lone ute fan in our Oregon ward Was the only one smiling.
V
vancouvercougar
Alphaleonis wrote:
I thought of started a thread - a poll of which you'd rather be this morning - a Boise State fan, an Oregon State fan, or a BYU fan. But I think this thread says the same thing.


A friend in my ward is a BSU Bronco fan, And we have many beaver fans in our ward. Nobody was happy at church today. But the beavers Were ranked in some polls and they lost to an FCS school. The lone ute fan in our Oregon ward Was the only one smiling.
C
CAFB_04-12
Two FCS losses has to hurt Oregon St. But, I'm sure they're be ranked to start next season too. Name recognition is pretty much the name of the ranking game anymore.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Schmoe wrote:
The UVA game was simply weird: Lightning delay, rain, first game, no Hoff etc. I'm as frustrated as anyone with the loss, especially the way it went down, but I'm willing to call it a wash and look forward to next week. I'm not confident, but I'm hopeful.


I agree with this, but with the exception of Hoff, Virginia dealt with the exact same thing.



What it is:

1. Anae is the same guy as before. Nothing has changed.

2. Our OLine is horrific.

3. Taysom Hill looked pedestrian at best. Some of that was because of the OLine, some was because he looked really bad on Saturday.

4. Offense and Special teams cost us at least 9 pts, maybe 16.

5. Bronco and Anae are clueless when it comes to in game decisions, at least on offense.

6. We will be lucky to win 5 games this year unless things change dramatically. Not a chance this is going to happen.

7. We are going on 4 years now of the same old story on offense. It really is getting old.
G
Gunk
Yes, let's call it what it is. Based on what we've seen this season we can assume the following:



1 - Once again we'll be watching a stagnant offense

2 - Once again we have major OL issues

3 - Once again we have a QB that can't throw

4 - As a result of 2 and 3 we'll be watching a lot of run plays and our punter will be getting lots of practice



Now, I fully agree one game is hardly enough data to identify a trend, but the ball is rolling and based on the current direction it's rolling it's headed in the same direction as 2012, 2011 and 2010.



For now, that's what it is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
After stepping back from the ledge, not jumping off the bandwagon, a couple of things are apparent for some of the poor showing.



The game was played in very poor weather conditions. Expecting a high percentage of passes to be completed in wet weather does not bode well for the QB, WR and RB due to slippery, water logged ball, terrible footing, and center/QB connection.



The lineup for our OL will be changed until a cohesive unit is found. Interestingly, two of the players that performed well didn't start (Vaitai, Wesley) and the other who performed well, Yeck, was going against argulably one of the best DE in the ACC.



GFGH is a dramatic change from last year and will not be fine-tuned in one game.



This being said, already Mendenhall and Anae are seeing some problems that need immediate correction. Thank goodness they saw what we did and didn't hesitate to state the obvious. Last year, with the O-line and Riley challenge, it wasn't addressed by staff until after the season.



Mendenhall said after Monday's practice: "I think we could have played harder up front, meaning more physical, and I think we sacrificed — or they were trained to sacrifice — some of the physical play, and continuity and execution, for the speed."



I believe that this week in practice physicality will be emphasized and nasty players who have this attitude will be inserted in the lineup. I expect much improvement from last game, with good weather expected and the players coming out angry, with a chip on their shoulder, and a desire to show that UVA was a fluke.
M
mizzoucoug
BroncoBot wrote:
I too am willing to wipe the slate clean, but if I start dozing off in the 2nd quarter again...

How old are you mizzou?? ;)


Too young to have remembered the glory of the 80's and too old to have seen the Staley years (mission).
S
Stirfry
bigbluepuma wrote:
I wasn't on here yesterday, and what I expected to see when I did get on was a bunch of posts writing the cougs off as dead. I'm really glad to see that at least some are willing to call it what it is: the first game for a new coaching staff and a new QB. I'm certainly not ready to say that they'll turn right around and run the table, but I am absolutely sure that they will improve, and that they will win some games, and have at least a reasonably good season. Still love my cougs!


You must have some filter on your CC membership that I don't have :P Everyone needs to step back from the ledge. It's our first game, it was disappointing, the offense looked bad. It was also a really unique situation with weather, delays, first road start for QB. late scratch of star WR, and new schemes. I was dissapointed but we weren't going undefeated this year.



The o-line was very dissapointing but I still have high hopes and our QB isn't left handed any more! :crazy:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.