Archived Topic

From a Longhorn

by hookemhorns · 9/1/2013

Advertisement
H
hookemhorns
Hey, I come in peace. Want to wish you all good luck next Sat. and hope for a safe game. My Alma Mater finally woke up in the second half and did pretty well. Saw your Cougars play on TV. Good defense y'all have, offense, well, not sure to be honest. Will be interesting to see how your OL matches up against our DL. Hey, that's where it all starts.
C
Cougarbib
We will need to rely on our defense and hope for fewer turnovers. Our offense will not score much vs your defense unless Texas hands us great field position due to turnovers, shanked punts, penalties, etc.



I have not heard whether Cody Hoffman will be healthy. Long day for BYU if he is not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Always nice to have you in Hookem.



Tell us how bad our D is going to get burned by your receivers? Go ahead. Because we asked, you can gloat. Or maybe you just moderately stated the biggest mis-matchup of the game--and likely going to be a slaughterhouse--UT Dline vs BYU Oline. :gross: :~(
M
mizzoucoug
We suck. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings. This is 4 straight years of nice guy BYU football in the trenches. As long as the players replenish the earth in the bounds of marriage Bronco is pleased with their effort.



We'll score 17 points and play good D. If you guys have a bad game we might lose close.
H
hookemhorns
Trust me, not gunna gloat about anything my friend. From what I've seen out of my Horns the last couple of years I've got nothing to gloat about! That being said, yes it's way early, Mack might have something brewing this year. If Ash can be great with his feet and arm then the Horns could have something very special this year. It will be interesting to see how our WR do against your secondary because I think you're going to load the box. Also, our D is finally looking like a Texas D, maybe. If so, from what I saw from BYU, it will be hard for you guys to move it on us. Hey, not flaming, just calling it how I see it. :)
Advertisement
W
Wolfman
Hey Hookem... thanks for dropping in. I'm not a BYU fan per se (like the players, can't stand the coaching staff or school's administration), but here's the skinny... the Cougs lost to a very mediocre Virginia squad yesterday (albeit it was more BYU shooting itself in the foot more than anything)... the Cavaliers couldn't really run or pass and they made BYU's D look like last year's (which it isn't). If the Y is struggling against the Virginia's of CFB, what are you guys going to do to the Cougs ranked at #15 in the nation? That's how I see it. The Longhorns had a very balanced attack against NMST (about 360 yards passing and rushing for almost 720 yards of offense) and yes, I know it was New Mexico State, but after watching BYU's offense lay eggs on Saturday against an average Virginia D, I think it's pretty safe to assume the Cougs will have an even tougher go of it next weekend. I think it ends up somewhere in the range of 34-13 for UT.



BYU needs a house cleaning Hookem... they need to get rid of their AD Holmoe, HC Mendenhall and OC Anae because this is 4 years running now with the offense stinking the place up - they brought back Anae after he was fired two years ago for being a terrible OC and far too predictable and to top that off, he and Mendenhall decided to try and implement a pro-style, hurry-up offense when they don't have the speed or depth for it and it was like watching a Chinese fire drill on Saturday. Anyway... your Longhorns will have no trouble dispatching of the Cougs in Provo. And if by some miracle it is close in the 4th, Bronco or the offense will find a way to throw the game away with boneheaded calls or mistakes.
1
1967cougar
Hookem -

Ignore Wolfman. We try not to feed trolls on this site. Insightful commentary is welcome, even a little good natured ribbing. But personal slander in the guise of "wolf speak" is something we try to ignore. Good luck to you guys Sat. Hope the game is safe and much closer than it looks like it might be!
H
hookemhorns
Kind of think the new hurry up offense BYU is implementing now falls right into UTs favor. We see that offense constantly in the Big12 so it won't be a shock to us. Also our improved depth will help us with the altitude. Mack stated as much.
W
Wolfman
hookemhorns wrote:
Kind of think the new hurry up offense BYU is implementing now falls right into UTs favor. We see that offense constantly in the Big12 so it won't be a shock to us. Also our improved depth will help us with the altitude. Mack stated as much.

BYU's O certainly didn't shock Virginia and I'm sure the Cavs were thinking to themselves 'keep it coming'. Your D will have BYU's O for lunch... and dinner. This could actually get ugly and out of hand fast and I guarantee you it will not be a close game like it was in 2011... things have changed dramatically... Texas is much, much better on both sides of the ball while BYU is taking steps backwards offensively.
S
stgeorgefan
Lets call this what it is. Texas is ranked a lot higher and always has a better recruiting class.



With that said; Byu almost pulled the upset in Austin with Jake heaps and a poor offense.



I'm not the type to think our offense is doomed because of one game. I thought this year would be 2005 all over again. That should mean that we get better with time. 2006 was a banner year for the cougs on offense and I think 2014 will be the same. Byu has some growing pains and adjustments to make until then. Wolfman and some over passionate fans will predict doom and gloom but your not going to here me call it a season after 1 game.

What that means; Byu will play Texas tough. The cougars defense will keep the game respectable. I think the cougs lose by 14 points or less. Texas is better... woop de do!
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Hookem has been hands down the classiest poster from another team we've ever had on board, and has kept it up for a LONG time. I have very little confidence that we'll win, but if we do, don't let that sour you on us, Hookem. It's great having you on here; if I'm ever in Austin, I'll buy you some BBQ.
J
jonnylingo
Hookem is the man. BYU should be scared. BYU will play better but texas is still going to win. taysom is going to be running scared all game long.



our d will keep us in the game the first half but texas will pull away by the end of the game.



if texas makes some mistakes and we avoid them, we have a chance.
S
scott715
BYU will open the playbook more next week. Our D is not as good as last year. We will give up more rushing yards and passing D is suspect. UT will test it next week. Our O is better than last year. Less major errors though we had the fluke Int. The safety could be due to the rain. I did not see the block punt so I can comment on that.



Pass rush was none existent but they did put in max protection on pass plays. We still almost have a couple on near misses.



If the droppies get fixed we can make it interesting.
Y
YNot
scott715 wrote:
BYU will open the playbook more next week. Our D is not as good as last year. We will give up more rushing yards and passing D is suspect. UT will test it next week. Our O is better than last year. Less major errors though we had the fluke Int. The safety could be due to the rain. I did not see the block punt so I can comment on that.



Pass rush was none existent but they did put in max protection on pass plays. We still almost have a couple on near misses.



If the droppies get fixed we can make it interesting.


The blocked punt came after an illegal formation call on the first punt try. UVA then surprisingly rushed the entire leftside of the line (5 on 3) to get the blocked punt. Good play call by the UVA coaches.



We still managed 93 plays and 362 yards of offense despite poor oline play (again) and receivers dropping a lot of shoulda-been catches. I don't have a lot of confidence that we will beat Texas, but we could make a game of it...and if the ball bounces BYU's way 2 or 3 times, we could actually have a chance.



I actually think BYU will matchup well against the Ewetes and Aggies this year. We might have to endure a heart-wrenching 0-2 start, but have a decent shot at 3-2 by General Conference time.
B
bigbluepuma
Hey, Hookem, Good to hear from you. It's always a pleasure to have rational and friendly conversation with a fan of an opponent, and you are perhaps the best friend from another camp we have. It's always a good discussion when you are on. I only wish that some of our own posters (not necassarily fans. eg: Wolfman) were as friendly, or even civil. Btw, Wolfman has been around for a lo-o-o-o-o-ong time. He uses one name until a site gets sick of his trolling and blocks him, then perhaps stays away for a short while, but just reappeares sooner or later under another name to troll on--and on--and on.



Many fans think that the last game is the measure of a teams quality, but it is really much more common for a team to have up and down games in every season. I have seen the Cougars (and other teams) have a terrible game, only to come back and play like a different team the next Week. I used to brace myself before the first game every year, because they usually played poorly in the opener, but I licked my chops before the next game, because they often ate up some really good opponents in the second. I don't know that they'll do that this year, but I do believe that they will play a much better game this week, and you never know. That's why they play the game. Hear's to a great game and a friendly rivalry on Saturday.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
Hey, Hookem, Good to hear from you. It's always a pleasure to have rational and friendly conversation with a fan of an opponent, and you are perhaps the best friend from another camp we have. It's always a good discussion when you are on. I only wish that some of our own posters (not necassarily fans. eg: Wolfman) were as friendly, or even civil. Btw, Wolfman has been around for a lo-o-o-o-o-ong time. He uses one name until a site gets sick of his trolling and blocks him, then perhaps stays away for a short while, but just reappeares sooner or later under another name to troll on--and on--and on.



Many fans think that the last game is the measure of a teams quality, but it is really much more common for a team to have up and down games in every season. I have seen the Cougars (and other teams) have a terrible game, only to come back and play like a different team the next Week. I used to brace myself before the first game every year, because they usually played poorly in the opener, but I licked my chops before the next game, because they often ate up some really good opponents in the second. I don't know that they'll do that this year, but I do believe that they will play a much better game this week, and you never know. That's why they play the game. Hear's to a great game and a friendly rivalry on Saturday.
M
mizzoucoug
scott715 wrote:
BYU will open the playbook more next week. Our D is not as good as last year. We will give up more rushing yards and passing D is suspect. UT will test it next week. Our O is better than last year. Less major errors though we had the fluke Int. The safety could be due to the rain. I did not see the block punt so I can comment on that.



Pass rush was none existent but they did put in max protection on pass plays. We still almost have a couple on near misses.



If the droppies get fixed we can make it interesting.


"Open the playbook" LOL. We've been hearing that for 4 years now. Let's face it, we don't have a playbook at BYU that is meant to put up points anymore. If we had a deep, explosive playbook don't we think there have been plenty of "big games" to showcase it? Sorry, I agree with your post except for that one point and I'm sick of waiting to see a real BYU football team show up again.
D
Ddawg
hookemhorns wrote:
Hey, I come in peace. Want to wish you all good luck next Sat. and hope for a safe game. My Alma Mater finally woke up in the second half and did pretty well. Saw your Cougars play on TV. Good defense y'all have, offense, well, not sure to be honest. Will be interesting to see how your OL matches up against our DL. Hey, that's where it all starts.


Texas will post a "W" this weekend. The Texas defensive line will outperform the Coug offensive line. It pains me to write this. I had high hopes for this year. I don't think BYU is an awful team. Actually, I think BYU has a "good" team. But, when you take on a team like Texas, "good" is not good enough.



I like Texas. They are a class school and run a class sports program. I do hope the Cougs can execute better offensively. It will be tough with Taysom getting pressured and hurried. I hope BYU's offensive brain trust designs some plays that will counter the pass rush pressure that Taysom will experience.



Good to see you posting Hookem. I hope Texas has a good year. However, I do hope we step it up this Sat. - and give you some competition.
M
mizzoucoug
You'd think we could go in max protect and give Hill some time but I'm not sure protection is a part of Anae's philosophy anymore. I remember reading during the pre-season that this was his priority--to fix the oline and keep the QB upright. So far, so pathetic.
H
Hookem
Hey fellas,



FYI, "Hookemhorns" the OP for this thread and I, are two different posters.



Look forward to chatting up the game this week.



Don't get to down on your team, it's way too early to know just how good or bad our teams really are at this point. I still expect a hard fought game this weekend. Got any questions shoot them my way, although I sure Hookemhorns can answer just as adequately as I can.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.