Archived Topic

Suggestions for Improved O Line

by byucougar1 · 9/1/2013

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
One thing that bugged me throughout this game is the pressure UVA DEs were able to place on Hill from the edge (he faced a lot of pressure) and the lack of forward push/momentum we got up the middle. Williams did better running as the game progressed, and I think that improved OL play had something to do with it.



It seemed that with the lineup of Ryker Matthews, Solomone Kafu, Manaaki Vaitai, Brad Wilcox, and De’Ondre Wesley the Cougar offense seemed to improve, gain momentum, and eventually scored a touchdown.

Going forward BYU might want to consider this starting lineup to give Williams some room to run and time for Hill to complete passes without running for his life. Brayden Kearsley should also be given some time to get in at either guard or center.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Heres a suggestion. After the appetizer of UVA, they will now have to face the Bigger, Faster Stronger main course Beef of UT Longhorns. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.



I do like that 2J and Anae are finding, getting the most productive guys out there.
S
stgeorgefan
Suggestions for Improved O Line = patience



If the off season haul of new O-lineman wasn't clue enough than last Saturday was.



Braden Kearsley was a good first step. 2J and Anae another.



I'm sure by mid season we will be much better as experience and comfort settle in.
S
scott715
I need to rewatch the game. I could not see the line's work with all of the bodies there. Hill did not have much time and their was a sack when the DE did a KVN on us. I think their DL did get tired at the end as JW got some long runs.



Maybe Anae will use some wide splits in his offense. I wonder if the OL could change between the two. The technique might be different and cause problems.
B
beauso79
So where were Carter and Duran?.....2 highly recruited JC players who were expected to contribute immediately didn't even travel with the team. That sucks.......Needed all the OL help we could get



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
There were 11 OL there, at least I counted that many in warmups. Not sure who is in the group. Fusi was a key one (Oregon recruited him) but he has not been able to practice yet due to grades. Which one was coming off of surgery on his knee?
B
beauso79
scott715 wrote:
There were 11 OL there, at least I counted that many in warmups. Not sure who is in the group. Fusi was a key one (Oregon recruited him) but he has not been able to practice yet due to grades. Which one was coming off of surgery on his knee?


Fusi was being recruited by Alabama before he tore his ACL I believe and had to have surgery. He should be recovered now and I believe academic issues are holding him back. I believe Fusi worked out with the team this summer as well



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
It was perhaps naive on my part to think that a new coach could immediately produce excellent results. The Titantic couldn't move on a dime.
N
northerncougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
It was perhaps naive on my part to think that a new coach could immediately produce excellent results. The Titantic couldn't move on a dime.


I heard from people (who are looking pretty connected now) during the offseason that Anae was not happy at all with the oline talent level on this team. After watching Saturday that has me petrified for this season.



The problem isn't improvement, its that we need significant, even massive improvement. I'm not sure this oline is capable of that.
B
byucougar1
Anae has announced the following starters for TX:

Yeck at LT, Vaitai at LG, Aletto at Center, Stringham at RT and I believe either Wesley or Kearsely at RG. They certainly didn't waste time after game making changes. RM apparently hasn't recovere yet from double health surgery - was slow off the edge against DE. Hope this change results in positive results.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.