Archived Topic

Go Fast, Go hard right for BYU?

by BroncoBot · 9/1/2013

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the hurry up offense at BYU. I don't think it necessarily plays to our strengths. instead, I'd probably employ a pro-style offense much like oregon state. Not as sexy, but better for BYU.
C
cougarnerd
Right now, I think we need a somewhat "normal" offense until we can dine cohesion & chemistry. Once our offense is executing plays well, we can integrate a Go Fast Go Hard offense and start executing defenses.
J
jonnylingo
I have not been sold on it. I was very worried coming into this game. still not sold on it.
C
cougarnerd
Watching TV right now...BSU vs Washington. At halftime, the Huskies had 52 plays, 313 yards, and 10 points. Ridiculous.



I see a pattern, do any of you?
G
Gunk
No. Go Fast all the time does nothing. The defense knows you're going to go fast, so they adjust and rotate in fresh legs.



My understanding of GFPH is that it's to wear the defense down, but that only works if you move the ball. Going 3 and out in 45 seconds gives the opposing defense time to rest. They only played for 45 seconds and then it was back for some more gaterade.



Have to move the chains and that's the biggest determinant as to whether an opposing defense gets tired.



I don't think GFPH was the problem today. It was the play calling. And whether we were going fast or slow, better play calling would have produced better results.



I wonder if the team has gotten so focused on GFPH, that they lost sight of moving the chains - hurry up and get the play off, nevermind if its the right play or not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Exactly Gunk. What difference does it make if we go long 3 plays in row and punt instead of running up the gut 3 plays in a row? Either way this crap of an offense is still punting. At least show us that you want to score instead of just hitting the stupid 15 second goal.
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:

Have to move the chains and that's the biggest determinant as to whether an opposing defense gets tired.



I don't think GFPH was the problem today. It was the play calling. And whether we were going fast or slow, better play calling would have produced better results.

I agree with this. Moving the chains consistently, especially on 3rd downs, is kryponite for a defense. Virginia's defense barely broke a sweat today.
M
mizzoucoug
GFPH does not suit us. I'd love to see someone go back and count how many times our RB was stopped for a gain of 1 or less. I'd bet we have a dozen at least. That cannot happen with any offense much less one where speed and keeping a defense honest is the name of the game. Yes, VA barely broke a sweat against our sorry scheme.
C
cougarnerd
Gunk wrote:
No. Go Fast all the time does nothing. The defense knows you're going to go fast, so they adjust and rotate in fresh legs.



My understanding of GFPH is that it's to wear the defense down, but that only works if you move the ball. Going 3 and out in 45 seconds gives the opposing defense time to rest. They only played for 45 seconds and then it was back for some more gaterade.



Have to move the chains and that's the biggest determinant as to whether an opposing defense gets tired.



I don't think GFPH was the problem today. It was the play calling. And whether we were going fast or slow, better play calling would have produced better results.



I wonder if the team has gotten so focused on GFPH, that they lost sight of moving the chains - hurry up and get the play off, nevermind if its the right play or not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Exactly. However, if slowing down would get the players to think more about execution, why not try it until we're capable of GFGH for real?
S
SpiffCoug
I actually had no problem with the pacing, tempo or speed at which the offense played. To me it looked like the game was to fast for BYU. Like they had never practiced at full game speed -either on offense or against a full game speed defense.





Maybe the game will slow down for them or they'll catch up to the pace at which the game actually plays next week.



But it guys simply didn't execute anywhere close to an acceptable level. Just an awful effort.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Like I said earlier, Lining up fast and getting the play off fast so the defense can't sub guys in is a great idea but once the ball is hiked, the guys need to execute with precision which wasn't happening today. Taysom looked like he was more interested in rushing the plays then making the right play. I hope they get it figured out this week, we need to get a win.
D
Ddawg
jonnylingo wrote:
I have not been sold on it. I was very worried coming into this game. still not sold on it.


+1. I don't think we have the number of quality horses in the barn to make it work. The "go fast, go hard" offense requires superior athletes at every position in the "O" to make it work. We miss the mark. We need to play to our strengths. This game was very winnable.
C
Cougarbib
BroncoBot wrote:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the hurry up offense at BYU. I don't think it necessarily plays to our strengths. instead, I'd probably employ a pro-style offense much like oregon state. Not as sexy, but better for BYU.


Did you see thr Oregon State game? Boise State game? Things could actually be worse.
M
Mingjai
Ddawg wrote:
I have not been sold on it. I was very worried coming into this game. still not sold on it.


+1. I don't think we have the number of quality horses in the barn to make it work. The "go fast, go hard" offense requires superior athletes at every position in the "O" to make it work. We miss the mark. We need to play to our strengths. This game was very winnable.


I look at a team like North Dakota State, who lined up and beat defending Big 12 champ Kansas State with a balanced, pro-style game plan that played to the Bison's personnel--big, beefy upper midwestern farmboys--rather than relying on gimmicks that most underdogs rely on.



I've always been of the opinion that BYU recruits the type of players the fit perfectly in a pro-style offense. Crowton tried it and failed because he couldn't always have Brandon Domans and Luke Staleys around.



As read option spread becomes the norm, running a balanced, pro-style game will actually be different.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.