Archived Topic

Go Fast Punt Hard!

by mizzoucoug · 9/1/2013

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
This was an embarrassing game for so many reasons. Let me list the ways:



1. O-Line: Nothing has changed in 4 years now. They plain sucked! The only runs we got were late when it seemed UVA was a little tired. What a joke. Taysom had no time to do anything in the pocket ever on even 4 man rushes. Taysom missed some throws but he rarely had time to do anything.



2. 8 dropped passes: Yes, I have learned over the years to count the drops by our receivers and I kept a written tally of them all. If you don't believe me watch the game again yourself. 8 freaking drops is criminal. I don't care how wet the ball is (We had 3 in the first quarter before the rain).



2a. So for those of you who wish to crucify Hill for his performance, add 8 to his completions and maybe about 50 yards--still not great I know.



3. Play-calling: Was it the 1st drive of the 2nd quarter when we ran, ran, ran, punted in about 45 seconds? That sequence seemed like it was not an attempt to do anything but pass the time. Was this a prank, Anae? I'm sure there are plenty more examples to choose from.



4. Hoffman: Listen bro, I don't care how much it may hurt this team does not have a legit WR besides you. You have to play!!! No ifs ands or buts about it. Is this harsh? Yes it is, but I knew once I heard the report that we were in trouble. Ridley, Matthews, Apo, and Falslev are not good WR's.



5. JV high school offense: This is what I thought I was watching for the 4th season in a row now. I was embarrassed for the defense yet again. Van Noy didn't seem to have the same motor as usual and I wonder if he was wondering WTF did I not go to the NFL last year? It's gonna be another non-BYU football (or is this now BYU football?) year.
J
JayhawkCoug
1. Yes, they were very bad, but started to look a little bit better towards the end of the game. Maybe they end up progressing through the season and end up decent? I'm just really trying to stay positive here.



2. Receivers definitely did not help Taysom out, neither did the O-line, but there were a lot of flat out terrible throws from Taysom. I felt like I was watching Riley 2.0 out there.



3. Agreed, very disappointing.



4. This is the one point where I disagree with you. Of course I would have loved to him out there, but if he's hurt then he's hurt. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hamstring injuries have a high chance of re-injury if you come back from them too soon. I'd rather have him sit out for one game then be at 50% for the next 5 games



5. Yeah, just painful to watch. Again, I just feel bad for the defense. They played so well and the offense loses the game for them again.
M
mizzoucoug
Usually it's taken me a few losses to get into "All you can do is laugh" mode, but I'm already there this year. The coaches have absolutely screwed up this program and we're seeing the effects this season with a legit schedule.
C
Cougs_Rule
This is a high risk, high reward or high liability Offensive Proposition.



If the opponents D is shutting it down, it will put even more strain on the D than normal (whatever that is).

In other words, its putting even more pressure on the D bc they will have to not only tak ethe field more often, they will have to do it with far less optimism than before while also gassed. Compounding problem.
M
mizzoucoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
This is a high risk, high reward or high liability Offensive Proposition.



If the opponents D is shutting it down, it will put even more strain on the D than normal (whatever that is).

In other words, its putting even more pressure on the D bc they will have to not only tak ethe field more often, they will have to do it with far less optimism than before while also gassed. Compounding problem.


We did not have a single D1 WR out there as part of our GFPH offense. It was doomed to fail and it did.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
WRs stink. I thought this was supposed to be the best receiving corps BYU has had in a long time.



OL is in the same sorry state it's been in the last 3 years.



Play calling was horrible! My mom knew when BYU was going to run it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
GFPH only works if you have an efficient and accurate QB. Since BYU had neither it is a losing offensive philosophy.



There I said it. I'm not looking for silver linings. I did that the last three years.



THill cannot run this offense throwing that inaccurately. The number one skill set in a QB in this offense is efficiency & accuracy. THill had never shown a sufficient level of efficiency when throwing more than a handful of passes. He's shown flashes of accuracy.



But those flashes better appear in the first half of Texas or he needs to sit.
G
Gunk
We punted, what 12 times?



That's insane.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
cougarnerd
We ran 93 plays and gained 362 yards. 3.9 yards per play. If we can't execute worth crap with our GFPH offense, Anae needs to slow the offense down to 75-80 plays per game. Our D will be more rested, and we can convert on more drives. :sulk:
M
mizzoucoug
SpiffCoug wrote:
GFPH only works if you have an efficient and accurate QB. Since BYU had neither it is a losing offensive philosophy.



There I said it. I'm not looking for silver linings. I did that the last three years.



THill cannot run this offense throwing that inaccurately. The number one skill set in a QB in this offense is efficiency & accuracy. THill had never shown a sufficient level of efficiency when throwing more than a handful of passes. He's shown flashes of accuracy.



But those flashes better appear in the first half of Texas or he needs to sit.


You don't think we'd be ruining our future starter ala Heaps by doing that? Or are you thinking Ammon really is the guy of the future? All I know is that the pocket collapsed with a 4 man rush probably every single pass play but a couple. That is not going to help a young QB.
Advertisement
S
SenorCougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
GFPH only works if you have an efficient and accurate QB. Since BYU had neither it is a losing offensive philosophy.



There I said it. I'm not looking for silver linings. I did that the last three years.



THill cannot run this offense throwing that inaccurately. The number one skill set in a QB in this offense is efficiency & accuracy. THill had never shown a sufficient level of efficiency when throwing more than a handful of passes. He's shown flashes of accuracy.



But those flashes better appear in the first half of Texas or he needs to sit.


It also needs receivers that can catch the rock. The last intercepted pass tipped by Williams was a catchable ball. Do you think Chad Lewis, Dennis Pita, Matt Bellini would have not caught it? You give Williams the game ball, but his YPC was not that great. Bobbled punt snaps... crickets. Bad center hikes... crickets. Prediction: If Taysom sits, there will be no bowl for the Coogs. It's as simple as that.
R
runbyu1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ridley caught all 3 balls thrown his way...he was the one who looked like a D1 receiver.



Hill only had 2 seconds or less in the pocket the majority of the snaps. NO QB is going to look good in that situation.
S
stuckinbig10country
The only way this offense works is if you pick up big chunks of yards several plays in a row without substituting, and having no penalties on offense. Any defense can play fast for 3 plays or even 6 plays if you only go 18 yards in those six plays. Even the big DL's won't get tired going at that pace.



But you get a 12 yard play, followed by an 8 yard play, followed by a 20 yard play, followed by a 7 yard play, followed by a 4 yard play, followed by a 12 yarder, even the DB's and LB's get winded. That's the key.



Go back and watch USU and Utah. They weren't going as fast between snaps as BYU, but they were running hurry up. As the drives went on, the defenses got tired because they had to run back 8 to 25 yards after plays and hurry and get set up without being able to substitute.
M
mizzoucoug
stuckinbig10country wrote:
The only way this offense works is if you pick up big chunks of yards several plays in a row without substituting, and having no penalties on offense. Any defense can play fast for 3 plays or even 6 plays if you only go 18 yards in those six plays. Even the big DL's won't get tired going at that pace.



But you get a 12 yard play, followed by an 8 yard play, followed by a 20 yard play, followed by a 7 yard play, followed by a 4 yard play, followed by a 12 yarder, even the DB's and LB's get winded. That's the key.



Go back and watch USU and Utah. They weren't going as fast between snaps as BYU, but they were running hurry up. As the drives went on, the defenses got tired because they had to run back 8 to 25 yards after plays and hurry and get set up without being able to substitute.


Amen. How many times did we actually go downfield? I can remember 3 passes of 20+ yards. One low in the middle incomplete to someone. One high and out of bounds to Lebron Matthews, and then the bomb to Apo where he needed to show something to the ref and he would've gotten the call.



This dink and dunk crap is like a recurring poltergeist.
S
scott715
Watching the replay Apo's arm was grabbed and almost made a one handed catch.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
scott715 wrote:
Watching the replay Apo's arm was grabbed and almost made a one handed catch.


Yep, that one should have been called. Frustrating.
M
Mars
SenorCougar wrote:
If Taysom sits, there will be no bowl for the Coogs. It's as simple as that.

Or, if Taysom doesn't sit, there will be no bowl game for the Cougs. Could go either way with that still.



Besides which, Houston is the Coogs. Get it right or suffer my mocking scorn. ;)
M
Mars
mizzoucoug wrote:
How many times did we actually go downfield? I can remember 3 passes of 20+ yards. One low in the middle incomplete to someone. One high and out of bounds to Lebron Matthews, and then the bomb to Apo where he needed to show something to the ref and he would've gotten the call. This dink and dunk crap is like a recurring poltergeist.

Apo himself was thrown to 3 times long. One he almost caught one-handed, and Pass Interference should have been called. The second time, PI WAS called. And the third time he caught it 28 yards from the endzone and was immediately tackled as time expired.



I believe that Mitch Mathews was also thrown to 3 times deep, and that he caught all 3, and that all 3 were thrown out of bounds.



Anyone else remember better?
S
SpiffCoug
We did not stretch the field at all. We've not stretched it out going on four years now. The handful of times we did the offense exploded.



I hope we don't try to dink and dunk our way down the field against Texas.
S
scott715
We need time to run the long routes. I think the OL prevents us from doing much stretching.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.