Archived Topic

Max Hall vs ute fans

by frdbtr · 11/29/2009

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I have one question for you all calling Max classless for his comments post game. Where did this hatred come from? Max grew up in Mesa AZ as an ASU fan and was not familiar with the utah BYU rivalry until he got here. What caused this hatred. If the ute fans are so innocent, and his comments are so classless, how did he get this hatred? It only took 3 years as BYU's qb for ute fans to take an out of state boy and make him hate them. There is no question in my mind that what Max said was justified.
F
Florwood
Maybe part of the problem is that it is the pot calling the kettle black. After the game last night, there were a number of BYU fans on the field facing the Ute fans, grabbing their crotches and yelling F you, Utes suck.



The young Whittingham children, crying in the stands after the game because of the defeat, had a number of BYU fans in their faces, taking pictures of them crying. When parents intervened and told them to go away, F bombs flew at the Whittinghams. An altercation occurred, with Kyle's brother being put in a headlock from two BYU fans, and Kyle's wife getting clocked from an elbow.



So let's not talk about Utah fans until we clean up our own trash.
W
wazzucoug97
frdbtr wrote:
I have one question for you all calling Max classless for his comments post game. Where did this hatred come from? Max grew up in Mesa AZ as an ASU fan and was not familiar with the utah BYU rivalry until he got here. What caused this hatred. If the ute fans are so innocent, and his comments are so classless, how did he get this hatred? It only took 3 years as BYU's qb for ute fans to take an out of state boy and make him hate them. There is no question in my mind that what Max said was justified.


I will give an AMEN to that.



I have been in Utah since '97 and I had a strong disliking to :utard: 's in only about 3-4 years.... and their brash obnoxiousness only gets worse each year. I do know some classy :utard: s though.... most of my Dad's family graduated from the U.... so the :utard: 's I speak of are generally the neighbors, ward members, and co-workers that just don't know when to just shut up.... I bet it felt good for Max to unleash that bottled up emotion last night..... He just said what I am sure most of us are thinking. :)
S
SpiffCoug
Yep, I've been a lifelong BYU fan, but because my Dad was in the Army, we never lived in Utah until he retired. Until I moved to Utah the rivalry game meant nothing to me. We moved to Utah in 1995 and I was on my mission in 1996 and 1997. It wasn't until 1998 that I started disliking the Utes. By 2001, I couldn't stand the U, their fans or the media that supported them.
S
Schmoe
Florwood wrote:
Maybe part of the problem is that it is the pot calling the kettle black. After the game last night, there were a number of BYU fans on the field facing the Ute fans, grabbing their crotches and yelling F you, Utes suck.



The young Whittingham children, crying in the stands after the game because of the defeat, had a number of BYU fans in their faces, taking pictures of them crying. When parents intervened and told them to go away, F bombs flew at the Whittinghams. An altercation occurred, with Kyle's brother being put in a headlock from two BYU fans, and Kyle's wife getting clocked from an elbow.



So let's not talk about Utah fans until we clean up our own trash.


Wow, you must have been one of the people taking the pictures, otherwise, how do you know that this is actually the case?
Advertisement
S
scott715
If Max had said he hated the "rivalry" then he would had been spot on. The whole event makes me sick (both sides).
D
Dcr36
Schmoe wrote:
Maybe part of the problem is that it is the pot calling the kettle black. After the game last night, there were a number of BYU fans on the field facing the Ute fans, grabbing their crotches and yelling F you, Utes suck.



The young Whittingham children, crying in the stands after the game because of the defeat, had a number of BYU fans in their faces, taking pictures of them crying. When parents intervened and told them to go away, F bombs flew at the Whittinghams. An altercation occurred, with Kyle's brother being put in a headlock from two BYU fans, and Kyle's wife getting clocked from an elbow.



So let's not talk about Utah fans until we clean up our own trash.


Wow, you must have been one of the people taking the pictures, otherwise, how do you know that this is actually the case?


On the other side of the coin, do we have any eyewitnesses that what Max alleged actually took place? (For the record, I don't doubt Max, but it seems unfair to only doubt the accounts that are more upsetting to the BYU fans.) As a split Cougar/Ute in terms of academic affiliation, I'll say the same for both: if it happened, I am truly ashamed and sorry.



Meanwhile, I must have been sitting in the wrong section. The Ute fans that were in my proximity mainly behaved like typical fans (cheers when the team did something right, jeers when something went wrong). Ditto for the BYU fans. We brought our friend (a recent-transplant Ute) with us on the stipulation that she couldn't wear red or act like too much of a punk, and she was very cordial and ended up making friends with pretty much every Cougar fan standing in our area. Good times.
F
frdbtr
Florwood wrote:
Maybe part of the problem is that it is the pot calling the kettle black. After the game last night, there were a number of BYU fans on the field facing the Ute fans, grabbing their crotches and yelling F you, Utes suck.



The young Whittingham children, crying in the stands after the game because of the defeat, had a number of BYU fans in their faces, taking pictures of them crying. When parents intervened and told them to go away, F bombs flew at the Whittinghams. An altercation occurred, with Kyle's brother being put in a headlock from two BYU fans, and Kyle's wife getting clocked from an elbow.



So let's not talk about Utah fans until we clean up our own trash.




I am seeing nothing in the media about this. Were you there watching it happen?
G
Guest
Dcr36 wrote:
Florwood wrote:
Maybe part of the problem is that it is the pot calling the kettle black. After the game last night, there were a number of BYU fans on the field facing the Ute fans, grabbing their crotches and yelling F you, Utes suck.



The young Whittingham children, crying in the stands after the game because of the defeat, had a number of BYU fans in their faces, taking pictures of them crying. When parents intervened and told them to go away, F bombs flew at the Whittinghams. An altercation occurred, with Kyle's brother being put in a headlock from two BYU fans, and Kyle's wife getting clocked from an elbow.



So let's not talk about Utah fans until we clean up our own trash.


Wow, you must have been one of the people taking the pictures, otherwise, how do you know that this is actually the case?


On the other side of the coin, do we have any eyewitnesses that what Max alleged actually took place? (For the record, I don't doubt Max, but it seems unfair to only doubt the accounts that are more upsetting to the BYU fans.) As a split Cougar/Ute in terms of academic affiliation, I'll say the same for both: if it happened, I am truly ashamed and sorry.



Meanwhile, I must have been sitting in the wrong section. The Ute fans that were in my proximity mainly behaved like typical fans (cheers when the team did something right, jeers when something went wrong). Ditto for the BYU fans. We brought our friend (a recent-transplant Ute) with us on the stipulation that she couldn't wear red or act like too much of a punk, and she was very cordial and ended up making friends with pretty much every Cougar fan standing in our area. Good times.


I would suggest that there is the record of the cops who had to escort his family from the stadium to their car. If that were not true, it would definitely come out.
B
Bryce Gharring
So where does this anger and frustration with Ute fans come from? As another, of many, who've experienced this behavior described by Max Hall, perhaps our Ute apologists should look in the mirror. I can assure you if BYU fans acted in such a disgusting manner and they were near me, I would have no problem speaking up. Are Ute fans really saying this is a tiny minority? Please open your eyes!! I've been to RES on numerous occasions for the big game and have heard the "screw the zoo" chants, the vulgarities directed at our cheerleaders, the cigarette smoke being blown in "Y" supporters faces, beer poured over our fan's heads, etc. ad infinitum. I even sat by some drunk Ute fans three years ago that got into a fist fight with each other and then fell all over people in front of them (more Ute fans fortunately). The question then is no longer did Max Hall say something he shouldn't have, but rather perhaps he did all of us, including the Yewts, a favor by bringing to light the despicable behavior of far too many Ute fans. When you go to a football game and you feel like you've crossed into a rival gang's territory, something is seriously wrong!
Advertisement
F
Florwood
frdbtr wrote:
Maybe part of the problem is that it is the pot calling the kettle black. After the game last night, there were a number of BYU fans on the field facing the Ute fans, grabbing their crotches and yelling F you, Utes suck.



The young Whittingham children, crying in the stands after the game because of the defeat, had a number of BYU fans in their faces, taking pictures of them crying. When parents intervened and told them to go away, F bombs flew at the Whittinghams. An altercation occurred, with Kyle's brother being put in a headlock from two BYU fans, and Kyle's wife getting clocked from an elbow.



So let's not talk about Utah fans until we clean up our own trash.




I am seeing nothing in the media about this. Were you there watching it happen?


There was a report Saturday night on TV about Whittingham's wife getting an elbow to the face. I'm sure that it was inadvertent, but still the result of a scuffle. I heard this from the Whittingham family Saturday night. My son witnessed the first part of my post, and was there at the end of the scuffle...



I thought Max's apology was spot on, and wonder what could be done. Out of control fans on both sides. I even got a little out of control, after hauling my 58-year-old carcass on to the field. On my way out, I saw a Ute fan sitting about 20 feet up, feet hanging over the side of the north stands. I called out, "Don't jump, life will go on." He replied "____ you. I'll jump down and kick your _____." I looked up at him, shrugged and walked away. Felt sort of bad that I'd provoked his idiotic rage. The actual worst part was a younger BYU fan called up to the guy, "Hey back off. We need to take care of our seniors." He might have been referring to the senior ceremony on the field, but I was thinking, "Dang, I'm a senior citizen now?"



Schmoe, just one question. Why did you have to get personal and derogatory?
B
BYUTIME
Bryce Gharring wrote:
So where does this anger and frustration with Ute fans come from?


I think at the core of this is that they feel like they're constantly being looked down upon (e.g., see Italics drunkards comments here and on justin.tv) by LDS folks.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
I have one question for you all calling Max classless for his comments post game. Where did this hatred come from? Max grew up in Mesa AZ as an ASU fan and was not familiar with the utah BYU rivalry until he got here. What caused this hatred. If the ute fans are so innocent, and his comments are so classless, how did he get this hatred? It only took 3 years as BYU's qb for ute fans to take an out of state boy and make him hate them. There is no question in my mind that what Max said was justified.
AMEN!



http://166.70.44.68/TribPhoto/photos/2009/byuutah3802_1128.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYUTIME
Mars wrote:
I have one question for you all calling Max classless for his comments post game. Where did this hatred come from? Max grew up in Mesa AZ as an ASU fan and was not familiar with the utah BYU rivalry until he got here. What caused this hatred. If the ute fans are so innocent, and his comments are so classless, how did he get this hatred? It only took 3 years as BYU's qb for ute fans to take an out of state boy and make him hate them. There is no question in my mind that what Max said was justified.
AMEN!



http://166.70.44.68/TribPhoto/photos/2009/byuutah3802_1128.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Pathetic.
M
Mars
BYUTIME wrote:
Pathetic.
Yewt fans? No question.



I'm from California. First person in my family to ever attend BYU. And I absolutely hate the U and their dirty, rotten stinking fans' guts. All because of my experiences with them. A bunch of foul-mouthed Mormon-hating douchebags that delight in little-brothery. Just check out the comments on any BYU article from an online Utah newspaper.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
Pathetic.
Yewt fans? No question.



I'm from California. First person in my family to ever attend BYU. And I absolutely hate the U and their dirty, rotten stinking fans' guts. All because of my experiences with them. A bunch of foul-mouthed Mormon-hating douchebags that delight in little-brothery. Just check out the comments on any BYU article from an online Utah newspaper.

I'm in no way, shape or form defending those article comments you just mentioned, but I've seen some REALLY stupid comments coming from the BYU side as well. There is some serious bad blood in the rivalry and it's unfortunate that some people waste so much of their time and energy on promoting it.



Hall the victor. He's had a long and bumpy ride, that's for sure.
S
Schmoe
No doubt there are bad and ignorant fans on both sides. It just seems to be the majority for Utah and the minority for BYU, and therein lies the difference.
B
ByuIcoug
I grew up in Sandy, Utah. Its right in the middle of BYUvUtah country. It seems to me that Utah fans come in to LES and think they can say what they want without any consequneces. I have a friend i work with is a huge Utah fan. He goes to LES every other year. I told him if he wants to talk trash then he deserves to get punched. Sorry ,if I got to thier stadium talking trash i would expect a fight that is how heated the game is. Dont go to the game if you cant handle it utah fans sorry stop crying. Reminds me of the guy a few years ago that go head butted in LES. Sorry Utah fans if your going to grow beer muscles dont cry in the media.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.