Archived Topic

Anyone have the short story/poem...

by Cougarfan87 · 8/31/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
...I once heard at a church meeting? It's about a family that has a guest come stay with them, the guest starts behaving in all kinds of ways the family doesn't approve of--telling dirty jokes, using foul language, etc. In the end you find out the guest is really a TV. I believe the last line is something like, "We just called it TV." Anyway, if you have that will you please let me know?
S
Schmoe
I don't have the story, I'm sorry, but I do have plenty of foul language and dirty jokes you can have!
N
nuk13
I haven't heard it but I believe you could make one up.
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:
I don't have the story, I'm sorry, but I do have plenty of foul language and dirty jokes you can have!


Dayumn Schmoe! ;)



P.S. I haven't heard that story. I think it is clever and spot on. If you find it, please share.
A
ABYUFAN
Schmoe wrote:
I don't have the story, I'm sorry, but I do have plenty of foul language and dirty jokes you can have!

And I can throw in some inappropriate limericks as well...
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Because it sounded like something to have available for a talk, I googled it. Is this it?



http://www.holybible.com/resources/poems/ps.php?sid=982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;





A STRANGER IN OUR HOME











A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.



As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mom taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger...he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.



If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game . He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn't seem to mind.



Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet. (I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)



Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home... not from us, our friends or any visitors. Our longtime visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush.



My Dad didn't permit the liberal use of alcohol. But the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.



I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked... and NEVER asked to leave.



More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first. Still, if you could walk into my parents' den today, you would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures. His name?....

We just call him, "TV."



He has a younger sister now. We call her "Computer."



A slightly different version



http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/stranger.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
Cougarfan87
ABYUFAN wrote:
Because it sounded like something to have available for a talk, I googled it. Is this it?



http://www.holybible.com/resources/poems/ps.php?sid=982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;





A STRANGER IN OUR HOME











A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.



As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mom taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger...he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.



If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game . He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn't seem to mind.



Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet. (I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)



Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home... not from us, our friends or any visitors. Our longtime visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush.



My Dad didn't permit the liberal use of alcohol. But the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.



I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked... and NEVER asked to leave.



More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first. Still, if you could walk into my parents' den today, you would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures. His name?....

We just call him, "TV."



He has a younger sister now. We call her "Computer."



A slightly different version



http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/stranger.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;




That's it! Awesome. Thank you very much for finding that!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.