Archived Topic

After Utah's win over USU....

by snoscythe · 8/30/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
....I strangely feel more scared of USU than I was before, and less scared of Utah than I was before.



Anyone else?
B
BroncoBot
Utah never plays BYU similar to they do other opponents. I think USU's Defense looked worse than last year, and their offense is about the same.



Utah will do everything they can to win vs BYU, and then do everything they can to lose out the remainder of the season.
S
stgeorgefan
BroncoBot wrote:
Utah never plays BYU similar to they do other opponents. I think USU's Defense looked worse than last year, and their offense is about the same.



Utah will do everything they can to win vs BYU, and then do everything they can to lose out the remainder of the season.




I disagree.



Utah needed all three phases of their team to beat USU. Not 1 area ( O,D, St ) stood out.

This is why I believe they have beaten the cougs. All out do whatever it takes to win football.

USU took their foot off the gas last night and then their D got gassed. If USU would have gone all out in all 3 phases, I think they would have won.
S
stgeorgefan
double post
K
KYCoug
I saw a couple of times USU tried to run a hurry up offense and the officials held the ball until the defense was set. What good does a hurry up do if the officials don't let you run it? This has me concerned for our offense, are we going to hurry up to the line and then wait for the official to watch the defense get set up before they release the ball?
Advertisement
B
BYULV
KYCoug wrote:
I saw a couple of times USU tried to run a hurry up offense and the officials held the ball until the defense was set. What good does a hurry up do if the officials don't let you run it? This has me concerned for our offense, are we going to hurry up to the line and then wait for the official to watch the defense get set up before they release the ball?


I noticed that as well and thought it was inappropriate for the ref to make usu wait, since I don't believe they made a substitution. If they sub in/out, I think they have to allow the D time to get subs in/out as well, but I could be wrong. But I still think usu didn't sub on that play anyway and so the red should have penalized Utah for being offsides instead



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
I thought the USU offensive tempo really gave Utah problems. But I only watched the first half.
B
BigCougsFan
Didn't Chip Kelly get 17 refs in trouble for slowing the offense down?



As for Utah St. I'm not worried. Their D got tired after half time.



And momentum shifts kill their soul.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
I'm not sure if I said it on the boards or not (with my hiatus) but if not I have talked about it in conversations with a few of you.



I am not convinced of Anae 2.0, just like I wasn't a fan of Anae 1.0 . I think that we have a very realistic chance of losing both games.



I would put the Utah game at about 80% losing and the Utah St at 50/50.



Color me worried after watching that game. I think that both will be coming for blood. At least the Utah St game is towards the middle of the season, when Bronco decides annually that he needs to start pushing his guys. :sick:
S
stuckinbig10country
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I'm not sure if I said it on the boards or not (with my hiatus) but if not I have talked about it in conversations with a few of you.



I am not convinced of Anae 2.0, just like I wasn't a fan of Anae 1.0 . I think that we have a very realistic chance of losing both games.



I would put the Utah game at about 80% losing and the Utah St at 50/50.



Color me worried after watching that game. I think that both will be coming for blood. At least the Utah St game is towards the middle of the season, when Bronco decides annually that he needs to start pushing his guys. :sick:


I also need to be convinced that Anae is going to make much difference at all. He was terrible against good teams in the past (even in games BYU won).
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Honeymoon is over.



I'm thrilled to have Anae back. Had Anae been around last year byu would have lost 1 maybe 2 games.
1
1967cougar
From what I saw last night, I'm believing the hurry up offense depends 95% on the QB. If Hill can direct, control, and scramble like Chuckie-boy did, it will be successful. I was not impressed with Wilson. I don't think the Puke hurry up will have any traction.
S
stuckinbig10country
BroncoBot wrote:
Honeymoon is over.



I'm thrilled to have Anae back. Had Anae been around last year byu would have lost 1 maybe 2 games.


Anae doesn't win that many games without an NFL caliber QB. Look at his record, and that's just a fact. Plus, he struggles in games against good teams.



If something has changed, I'm glad for that.
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Honeymoon is over.



I'm thrilled to have Anae back. Had Anae been around last year byu would have lost 1 maybe 2 games.


Anae doesn't win that many games without an NFL caliber QB. Look at his record, and that's just a fact. Plus, he struggles in games against good teams.



If something has changed, I'm glad for that.

From his bio:

" Coached in 18 bowl games

Helped Arizona to a No. 7 ranking in total offense in 2012

Helped BYU finish ranked No. 12 overall in 2009, the Cougars' highest ranking since 1996

Helped BYU achieve a 56-21 (.727) record from 2005-2010 with consistent top-25 offenses, including three years with a top-6 passing attack

Helped BYU earn bowl invitations each season while winning two outright MWC championships

A three-time Broyles Award nominee for Assistant Coach of the Year (nominated by Texas Tech, BYU and Arizona)"



You're right, the guys a schmuck. I remember beating a ranked OU team and a ranked TCU team, not to mention beating Utah a couple time with Anae around. Had Max hall not imploded in SLC, BYU might have had a shot at knocking them off that year as well.



How many other O-coordinators went 56-21 over a 6 year span and had their offense ranked in the top 25 for nearly every year for 6 years.



Had he not been forced to start an egocentric 18 year old for 2010 His record would be even better.



And your presumption that only a "pro QB" will win games with Anae is probably true. As it is for about 99.9% of the offensive coordinators out there. I'm expecting a big change this year as far as offensive production. Approximately proportionate to the decrease in efficiency that BYU experienced while he was away.
S
stuckinbig10country
He beat a "ranked" OU team 14-13, with an NFL caliber QB, after the other team's returning Heisman QB was knocked out of the game. Not a great offensive output.



I'll give you the 2 TCU wins he had, plus the 1 where the team scored 50 and didn't win. 50, 31, and 28 points are good against that team. But after Patterson figured him out, it was over.



He only scored more than 20 points against Utah twice in a game that didn't go to OT. Had he kept calling running plays for Harvey Unga who was averaging 8 yards a carry in the game that Max Hall "imploded", Max Hall may not have imploded.



Really, Nelson would have won more games than Heaps did in 2010? I beg to differ on that one. And had he tried to actually run the ball instead of having the "egocentric 18 year old" throw the ball 50+ times against USU, he may have picked up another win (although, Jaime Hill may have been a bigger issue during that game).



Year 1, he doesn't let Beck audible at the line, they go 6-6. Year 2, Beck checks out of almost every play, they go 11-2. Year 3-5, Hall checks out of almost every play, average win total is 10+. Year 6, He doesn't let Nelson or Heaps audible (until after the bye week where Heaps excelled for the rest of the year), and they go 6-6, with a loss to Utah where Heaps was driving the field, and then Anae went 3 runs up the middle for loss of yardage and the FG was blocked.



If Anae has changed his predictable play-calling, I'll be happy to have him back. History doesn't show that he does.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:

Really, Nelson would have won more games than Heaps did in 2010? I beg to differ on that one. And had he tried to actually run the ball instead of having the "egocentric 18 year old" throw the ball 50+ times against USU, he may have picked up another win (although, Jaime Hill may have been a bigger issue during that game).

Point wasn't Heaps vs Nelson. Just that he had NO options and had to start the 18 year old.
J
jonnylingo
How could you not be impressed with Wilson. Look at his stats. HE was hard to take down, moved in the pocket well, has an arm, and was very accurate. I was impressed.



If our D was as good as last year I wouldn't be worried about either team because neither of them have a world beating defense. however i don't think our d will be as good so i am just crossing my fingers that go fast go hard is more like Oregon and less like UNC.



If our offense looks good than I will have confidence that we can beat both of those teams. they will both score less against us than they scored last night. The question is can our offense put up 24 plus on their ds. i hope so.
B
BigCougsFan
Oh how cute. You two fellas are turnin on each other.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I saw two teams, neither of which scared me. I saw two defenses that I think we should be able to move the ball on.



But I also saw two teams who can exploit it secondary.



I'm not scared of either team.



But both teams can beat us.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.