Archived Topic

#13 in Coaches' and Harris, #14 BCS, #16 in AP

by byutx · 11/29/2009

Advertisement
B
byutx
Utah stayed in (#25)



I was disappointed we didn't jump Georgia Tech, who fell from 7 to 12 after a loss to UGA.



Hosed again by the AP.



14 in the BCS!!!
D
Ddawg
#13 - Not bad. Now we'll have to see who & what bowl we get.

Go Cougs!!!!



Go Max!!!! Screw the U!!!!! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!
M
mormonrasta
16 in the AP.



I'm surprised that BYU jumped Oregon St., Miami, and LSU in the coaches' poll even though those teams didn't lose this week. Well done Cougs.
K
kiwibacon
I guess I am a little shocked that we got moved up that much. I honestly thought we would only move up a spot maybe two.
S
SpiffCoug
LSU needed an overtime win at home against an unranked team. BYU beat a ranked opponent at home in overtime. Not overly surprising we jumped them. We're only 4 votes behind them in the coaches and 6 votes ahead in the media poll.
Advertisement
B
byutx
kiwibacon wrote:
I guess I am a little shocked that we got moved up that much. I honestly thought we would only move up a spot maybe two.

We were previously #15, so we did only move up two spots.
Y
Y&Brit
How in the wizzick is georgia tech still in the top 12? After they lose their bowl game they'll stay ranked in the top 15 to I bet...gay
S
SpiffCoug
Y&Brit wrote:
How in the wizzick is georgia tech still in the top 12? After they lose their bowl game they'll stay ranked in the top 15 to I bet...gay

I think it's a case of the BCS coaches and pollsters wanting to make sure the conference winners of all their conference are all ranked highly.
B
byutx
kitic77 wrote:
How in the wizzick is georgia tech still in the top 12? After they lose their bowl game they'll stay ranked in the top 15 to I bet...gay

I think it's a case of the BCS coaches and pollsters wanting to make sure the conference winners of all their conference are all ranked highly.

Which is why the coaches' poll should be done away with.



Congrats on firing the canon yesterday! You did us proud!
B
byutx
I'm guessing we'll jump up to 14 or 15 in the BCS. Playing and beating Utah should really help our SOS and other computer numbers.
Advertisement
G
gmj81
LSU is horrible this year. They've barely scraped by in almost every game they've won this year and they haven't even had that difficult of a schedule. It's a crock that they won yesterday too. The catch that their one receiver had at the 25 second mark in the fourth did not get out of bounds. Yet they stopped the clock for him. In his attempt to try to get an extra yard or two he cut back inside, then as he was falling, his legs touched the turf, followed by his hips, torso, then the ball just out of bounds. I guess probably every conference to some extent or another has their referees try to benefit those at the top of their conference. The Razorbacks have gotten screwed out of more than their fair share though this year. They could be 9-3 right now and sitting in LSU's place instead of 7-5.



I usually think the AP is more accurate than the coache's poll and I don't even have all that much to complain about after this week. But the fact that LSU is still ahead of us is a crock. They have got to be the worst 9-3 team this year. I really don't think the Big Ten is that good this year, and yet they've got all three of their top teams bunched #8-#10. I think BYU could take any of them on a neutral field but I can't complain too much about them being ahead of the Cougars, especially considering we let the pukes back into that game yesterday. If we had continued the rout then I would be a lot more upset about being #16 but as it is, right now, I'm just upset that LSU is still in front of us.
C
craigoscarson
Y&Brit wrote:
How in the wizzick is georgia tech still in the top 12? After they lose their bowl game they'll stay ranked in the top 15 to I bet...gay




Because if Georgia Tech fails to beat Clemson in the ACC championship now, Boise State is a shoo in. The voting is an effort by some to keep it close. There's no way the loser of that game deserves a BCS bid though. (plus there's enough voters that get it to ensure that the loser drops)



Oklahoma State blew their shot yesterday.The Big 12 would get 2 if somehow Texas lost in the Big 12 championship to Nebraska, and only if...



Pitt and Cincy is interesting next week. Pitt winning might actually help the Big East get 2 BCS teams.



Even with the pitiful schedule that Boise State played, the cards are in place for them to get a BCS game... no matter how much help the voters give the other teams.



If Boise wins their BCS game, the MWC MUST invite BSU to the conference, and they must press the BCS until they get their autobid for the MWC.
C
craigoscarson
There's a good chance a 3 loss team gets in a BCS game.... only further weakening their credibility.

Even with their awful schedule, Boise is more than likely BCS bowling.



So Florida and Bama both will get a BCS game guaranteed.



Texas is guaranteed win or lose in the Big 12 championship.



Cincy is likely guaranteed even with a loss to Pitt...



In with a win:

Pitt

Oregon State?

Nebraska

Clemson



Iowa, Penn State, Va Tech? who knows?



Out with a loss:

Oregon State/Oregon

Clemson/ Ga Tech

Pitt



Out:

LSU

Oklahoma State

USC



There's an argument to be made if that we had shown up against FSU, that we'd be top 8 and BCS bowling...
S
Schmoe
After yesterday's games, I think BSU actually has a spot pretty much locked up. There are seven teams (including TCU) that will get automatic bids, which means that three conferences would have to send two teams, which will not happen given the records of the second-best teams in most conferences.
I
imuakahuku
The way I see it

SEC has two in (FL and Ala)

Big 10 has two in (OSU and IA)

TCU is in

TX is in



That leaves four open.



In with a win

Cinn

PItt

Clemson

Neb

Ore St

Oregon



Out with a loss

Clemson

Nebraska

Ore St (only one team from the P-10 this year)

Ga Tech (only one team coming from the ACC this year)

Oregon



(real) Bubble teams

Boise St - I would love to see them pick a 3 loss team over BSU just for the public outcry it would cause.

Cinn (if they lose)

Tx may be listed as a bubble but I think they are in win or lose.



So the result if there are no upsets would be



The teams in would be:

TX

Ohio St

Iowa

GA Tech

Florida

Alabama

Cinn

TCU

Oregon

BSU would be my bet since it would be pretty hard for the officials to take a 3 loss team over them. But the question is what happens if Pitt beats Cinn? Does a one loss Cinn go over them. A one loss Tx is most certainly in. So it seems to me that they better pray that TX does not lose and that Pitt loses just to be sure. ACC and P-10 losers are out.



That's how I see it anyways.
Advertisement
T
tripwire
Why have the BCS standings for this week not come out yet?
U
urroner
tripwire wrote:
Why have the BCS standings for this week not come out yet?


BYU is #14 in the BCS.



TCU is still #4, BSU is #6 and Utah is #25.



RK TEAM AVG PVS RK

1 Florida .9868 1

2 Alabama .9513 2

3 Texas .9282 3

4 TCU .8689 4 4

5 Cincinnati .8547 5

6 Boise State .8096

7 Oregon .7343 8

8 Ohio State .6882 10

9 Iowa .6028 11

10 Georgia Tech .5803 7

11 Penn State .5499 13

12 Virginia Tech .5376 14

13 LSU .5139 15

14 Brigham Young .4394 19

15 Pittsburgh .4101 9

16 Oregon State .4070 16

17 Miami (FL) .3843 17

18 USC .3565 20

19 California .2392 22

20 Oklahoma State .2251 12

21 Houston .2204 23

22 Nebraska .1491 NR

23 West Virginia .1400 NR

24 Stanford .1198 NR

25 Utah .0707 21
M
Mars


I was happy to see Utah unranked in both the Coaches Poll and the BCS computers.



And I think Boise State gets in almost no matter what now, with Oklahoma's smoking of Top 15 Oklahoma State, Pitt's loss to unranked West Virginia, and Georgia Tech's loss to unranked Georgia.



IN (no matter what):

Ohio State (Big Ten champ)

Florida (SEC champ or runner-up)

Alabama (SEC champ or runner-up)

Texas (Big XII champ or runner-up)

TCU (non-BCS auto-bid)

Cincy (Big east champ or runner-up)

PAC-10 Champ (Oregon or Oregon State)

ACC Champ (Georgia Tech or Clemson)



IF Texas loses to Nebraska and Cincy loses to Pitt, all four of those would likely get in, leaving Boise State the last man out. If both Texas and Cincy win, BSU should get in easily, along with Iowa.




http://www.footballfoundation.org/pdf/BCS2009/BCS_LONG.Week7.PMW.11.29.09.pdf
B
BroncoBot
I like our chances with at least 1/2 of the teams if front of us in all those polls.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.