Archived Topic

Insane Ticket Prices

by Gunk · 8/29/2013

Advertisement
G
Gunk
I know it's been discussed before, but I need to rant on the insane ticket prices.



Mrs. Gunk is getting inducted into the BYU Hall of Fame the weekend of the Boise game; so, I thought I'd make it a grand experience for the kids and take them to the game. Understand Boise is a big game, but the cheapest seats available are $90, nose bleed seats in the endzone. $400 to take the fam to a game! Lavell Edwards Stadium might as well be called Yuppie Stadium.



It's no wonder Bronco hates the fans, BYU has priced the legit fans out. Only ones that can afford to go have stock portfolios to worry about.



Hopefully the hotel has cable...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Ya, he hates that salary that the big donors help pay as well.
F
Florwood
Stubhub has nosebleeds for $55, if that helps.
D
Ddawg
I agree. I was planning on driving up and watching both the Texas and Utah game. I was going to buy 4 tickets for ea. game. But, with the high ticket prices this year, and figuring in the 1,400 miles I drive round trip for ea. game, it just got too expensive. Around $1,100 not including the hotel. So, I'll watch it on ESPN. I was really excited about seeing those games. I think they'll be barn burners.
B
BerliNY
Ddawg wrote:
I agree. I was planning on driving up and watching both the Texas and Utah game. I was going to buy 4 tickets for ea. game. But, with the high ticket prices this year, and figuring in the 1,400 miles I drive round trip for ea. game, it just got too expensive. Around $1,100 not including the hotel. So, I'll watch it on ESPN. I was really excited about seeing those games. I think they'll be barn burners.


That's nothing, wait 'til you see the hot dog prices.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Tom Holmoe had this question addressed to him during BYU Education Week, last week. He said the higher prices are driven totally on this issue that scalping companies/individuals buy the most available tickets and they simply don't want them to pocket all of the lower prices of BYU tickets so BYU is cashing in. He said it was market driven and he understood where that puts BYU fans, but it's what it is.
E
EM_Puma
Tom Holmoe had this question addressed to him during BYU Education Week, last week. He said the higher prices are driven totally on this issue that scalping companies/individuals buy the most available tickets and they simply don't want them to pocket all of the lower prices of BYU tickets so BYU is cashing in. He said it was market driven and he understood where that puts BYU fans, but it's what it is.
S
stuckinbig10country
The season tickets were the way to go this year for sure. You knew BYU was going to jack some prices up, since this is the first decent home schedule they've had in close to a decade, and the best one they'll have for the next 3-4 years at least.
J
jonnylingo
Gamble. See if byu loses the first three games. if they do the tickest will be a lot cheaper the week of the game on stubhub or ksl.
S
scott715
I read somewhere that they put their Texas ticket on stubhub for way more than they thought it woudl go for ($400) and it sold. I guess their remaining 5 tickets were free. I wish I had gotten season tickets even though I am in Oregon and teach at a college so I would not be able to make most of the games. I will be in Virginia though. School starts mid Sept.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BYU fans need to fill the place every week - we need the promised stadium expansion.



Season tickets were certainly a bargain.



Some people go in with others and split the tickets and cost 2 or 3 or 6 ways.



But Texas, U, BSU, and even GT will be PRIME.



Too bad the ceremony is not at the Idaho State Game. I would donate my seats to The Gunkster's Wife.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I'll trade updated stadium with better seats (as in actual seats not bleachers) with better wireless access, with better concessions, with better facilities, with a better game environment over stadium expansion any day.
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:
BYU fans need to fill the place every week - we need the promised stadium expansion.



Season tickets were certainly a bargain.



Some people go in with others and split the tickets and cost 2 or 3 or 6 ways.



But Texas, U, BSU, and even GT will be PRIME.



Too bad the ceremony is not at the Idaho State Game. I would donate my seats to The Gunkster's Wife.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Appreciate the thought, Bib.



I'll check StubHub. The BYU "marketplace" tickets were more expensive than the tickets available directly through BYU.



What I'll probably do is the bite the bullet and stay with my sister-in-law in an already over crowded house and put the money I would have spent on hotel and breathing room towards the game. $55 nose bleed tix may be the way to go.



Pretty lame of BYU if you ask me. Who cares if fans are making a bit of coin off games. Just means you're putting a good product on the field.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
BerliNY wrote:
I agree. I was planning on driving up and watching both the Texas and Utah game. I was going to buy 4 tickets for ea. game. But, with the high ticket prices this year, and figuring in the 1,400 miles I drive round trip for ea. game, it just got too expensive. Around $1,100 not including the hotel. So, I'll watch it on ESPN. I was really excited about seeing those games. I think they'll be barn burners.


That's nothing, wait 'til you see the hot dog prices.


No kidding - true dat! And they don't even come close to a Costco dawg.
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
BYU has priced the legit fans out.


Sooooooo......if you can afford tickets at LES you are not a legit fan?



:skeptic:
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'll trade updated stadium with better seats (as in actual seats not bleachers) with better wireless access, with better concessions, with better facilities, with a better game environment over stadium expansion any day.




Yeah - but



An 85, 000 seat stadium that fills up creates the economics to get those 1 and done and 2 for 1 teams to come to Provo straight up. Probably also increases conference appeal and D4 inclusion liklihood.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
YNot
The frustration is understandable when Cougar fans are priced out of purchasing home game tickets. BUT, it is not a bad thing that BYU's ticket prices are high. This means there is a high demand to attend the games.



The real issue here is that BYU did not provide Mrs. Gunk and a guest some comp tickets and passes to the Boise game. If Mrs. Gunk is being inducted in the BYU hall of fame, I am REALLY surprised that BYU didn't provide this perk. IMO, that's the real issue here.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
I'll trade updated stadium with better seats (as in actual seats not bleachers) with better wireless access, with better concessions, with better facilities, with a better game environment over stadium expansion any day.




Yeah - but



An 85, 000 seat stadium that fills up creates the economics to get those 1 and done and 2 for 1 teams to come to Provo straight up. Probably also increases conference appeal and D4 inclusion liklihood.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Depends what you're charging for the tickets. 85% of the Jazz revenues comes from the lower bowl which is considerably less than 85% of capacity.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
BYU has priced the legit fans out.


Sooooooo......if you can afford tickets at LES you are not a legit fan?



:skeptic:


Mostly a comment made out of frustration, plus based on my experience watching the Giants (MLB) stadium get filled with bandwagon silicon-valley tech jockies and then sit empty the moment team stumbles. I'm not a Giants fan, but it's a funny/ironic thing to watch.
J
jonnylingo
YNot wrote:
The frustration is understandable when Cougar fans are priced out of purchasing home game tickets. BUT, it is not a bad thing that BYU's ticket prices are high. This means there is a high demand to attend the games.



The real issue here is that BYU did not provide Mrs. Gunk and a guest some comp tickets and passes to the Boise game. If Mrs. Gunk is being inducted in the BYU hall of fame, I am REALLY surprised that BYU didn't provide this perk. IMO, that's the real issue here.


Good point. did they even give her a ticket or does she just show up and the trot her out and the escort her out?
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.