Archived Topic

Coach 2 J Roger French Reincarnate?

by frdbtr · 8/28/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Robert Anae said in his interview that Having Coach 2 J as the Oline coach is like having coach French back on staff. He said that he looks at what the Oline has to go through in practice and feels sorry for them sometimes LOL! I can't see how this is anything but positive. Our oline has been soft for too long, it is time for them to be one of the most feared groups on the team again. One thing that you could always count on with Lavell's teams is they always had a good Oline. I hope his drive results in a though nasty Oline that gets after our opponents for 4 quarters. I got sick of seeing the Oline getting blown up on nearly every play last year.
S
SpiffCoug
I don't know that our OL was always good under Lavell. I'm tracking 226 sackes given up in the games played in: 1983, 1984, 1985 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994 & 1996. That's a TON of sacks given up in those 10+-win seasons.



That's nearly 2 1/2 sacks per game.



For comparison, BYU has given up 148 sacks in it's last 93 games.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
I don't know that our OL was always good under Lavell. I'm tracking 226 sackes given up in the games played in: 1983, 1984, 1985 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994 & 1996. That's a TON of sacks given up in those 10+-win seasons.



That's nearly 2 1/2 sacks per game.



For comparison, BYU has given up 148 sacks in it's last 93 games.


BYU was also throwing the ball a TON in those games. Watching some of the replays, BYU would throw, throw, throw, throw, throw, Draw, Throw, Throw, Throw, Draw.......



BYU's run pass ratio was way slanted to the pass back then, much more so than recently.
B
BerliNY
frdbtr wrote:
I don't know that our OL was always good under Lavell. I'm tracking 226 sackes given up in the games played in: 1983, 1984, 1985 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994 & 1996. That's a TON of sacks given up in those 10+-win seasons.



That's nearly 2 1/2 sacks per game.



For comparison, BYU has given up 148 sacks in it's last 93 games.


BYU was also throwing the ball a TON in those games. Watching some of the replays, BYU would throw, throw, throw, throw, throw, Draw, Throw, Throw, Throw, Draw.......



BYU's run pass ratio was way slanted to the pass back then, much more so than recently.


srsly, LaVell would pass to set up the pass. It's tough to compare sacks/game between now and then. Plus, one of the reasons BYU got away with what they did was because teams weren't as good against the pass back then, pass-specific defensive formations are much more common now and don't produce the same results sacks-wise ... just don't be sackless in your games, that's all.
B
bigbluepuma
It's a Babe Ruth kind of thing. He led the league in strike outs, but also set a home run record that it took steroids to eclipse. They had more sacks, but they also had a lot more long gainers and TD passes.
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
bigbluepuma wrote:
It's a Babe Ruth kind of thing. He led the league in strike outs, but also set a home run record that it took seroids to eclipse. They had more sacks, but they also had a lot more long gainers and TD passes.


good analogy
D
drewage81
Was Hank Aaron on steroids?
B
bigbluepuma
Did Hank Aaron break his single season HR record?
D
drewage81
Roger maris broke Ruth's single season record

Hank Aaron had more career hrs



I do get your analogy though.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes. 2J and Anae even consult w French.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
French was an intense SOG(un). Both Anae and 2J were coached by French.



Weber was an awful coach at BYU. I don't know why he struggled so much here, but he couldn't develop cohesive, aggressive units. He had players with great talent (Reynolds) who regressed under his watch. I know that he's coaching 5 returning starters at USU this year, but I expect them to not be as good as last year.



The hallmark of Lavell's great teams were great offensive lineman. During the 80's and early 90's, BYU linemen were consistently drafted into the NFL. It's been about a decade since a BYU OL was drafted.
B
bigbluepuma
drewage81 wrote:
Roger maris broke Ruth's single season record

Hank Aaron had more career hrs



I do get your analogy though.




Bingo! I doubt that Aaron took any performance enhancing drugs, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Maris did (of course I know of no existing evidence either way). Even after the rest of the sports world was coming down hard on drug use, baseball was looking off into the sky and whistling a happy tune. Of course, my post was an anology based on my suspitions (which I have always held), and not a statement of fact.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.