Archived Topic

USU @ U - What To Do Poll

by Cougarbib · 8/27/2013

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
nickdutson wrote:
Point proven. Because I didn't spell one word correctly and to my defense that was autocorrect on my phone that you jump on me for that and totally disregard the rest of my post.

Point proven that you actually thought people were serious when stating they would cheer for the devil. And I'm not buying your defense of autocorrect on the phone. Hippocrate isn't a word that the autocorrect would have, it should have corrected it to "HippocrateS." So not only do you not apparently know the difference in the words, neither does your phone.



As to the rest of your post, yes, people do carry sports too far.
A
ABYUFAN
nickdutson wrote:
Every time I read posts like this it reminds me of this:



You probably did not catch it, but Elder Ucthdorf of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles used the priesthood session of general conference to take a swipe at Hall's hateful rant about the University of Utah. The apostles said, "Perhaps there is no better laboratory to observe the sin of pride than the world of sports. I have always loved participating in and attending sporting events. But I confess there are times when the lack of civility in sports is embarrassing. How is it that normally kind and compassionate human beings can be so intolerant and filled with hatred toward an opposing team and its fans?...They justify their hatred with broad generalizations and apply them to everyone associated with the other team."



Really you would support satan over the Utes? What a Hippocrate.

I remember that talk.. and much like the "eat meat sparingly" portion of the Word of Wisdom, I believe that it doesn't apply to me.



PS he also said "Don't judge me because I sin differently than you." I'm sinning different than you and I know it, so there...
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
Point proven. Because I didn't spell one word correctly and to my defense that was autocorrect on my phone that you jump on me for that and totally disregard the rest of my post.

Point proven that you actually thought people were serious when stating they would cheer for the devil. And I'm not buying your defense of autocorrect on the phone. Hippocrate isn't a word that the autocorrect would have, it should have corrected it to "HippocrateS." So not only do you not apparently know the difference in the words, neither does your phone.



As to the rest of your post, yes, people do carry sports too far.


All I can think of at this point is Bill and Ted searching for Socrates.
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
Point proven. Because I didn't spell one word correctly and to my defense that was autocorrect on my phone that you jump on me for that and totally disregard the rest of my post.

Point proven that you actually thought people were serious when stating they would cheer for the devil. And I'm not buying your defense of autocorrect on the phone. Hippocrate isn't a word that the autocorrect would have, it should have corrected it to "HippocrateS." So not only do you not apparently know the difference in the words, neither does your phone.



As to the rest of your post, yes, people do carry sports too far.


All I can think of at this point is Bill and Ted searching for Socrates.
N
nuk13
I like Utah State and hope they win all but one game. I can't say that for the utes. There may be teams outside of the inter mountain area that I wouldn't mind seeing them beat but none in the area and certainly not Utah State or BYU. I haven't liked them for years but it got worse at the Wyoming game when Whitingham had his team kick an onside kick in the last seconds in a 50 to nothing win. That is one of the worst acts of poor sportsmanship I have ever seen. No, I'm not a Wyoming fan but that was uncalled for and put the utes at the bottom of the barrel for me.



In addition, poor sportsmanship by their fans keeps them there. It isn't just what happened to Hall's family, my sister went to a women's volley ball game there and said she'd never go back because of their rudeness. I would certainly think Pres. Uchtdorph would refer to incidents like that at least as much as what Hall said. I did not see Hall's name mentioned in his talk.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Stirfry wrote:
nickdutson wrote:
Point proven. Because I didn't spell one word correctly and to my defense that was autocorrect on my phone that you jump on me for that and totally disregard the rest of my post.

Point proven that you actually thought people were serious when stating they would cheer for the devil. And I'm not buying your defense of autocorrect on the phone. Hippocrate isn't a word that the autocorrect would have, it should have corrected it to "HippocrateS." So not only do you not apparently know the difference in the words, neither does your phone.



As to the rest of your post, yes, people do carry sports too far.


All I can think of at this point is Bill and Ted searching for Socrates.

Dust. Wind. Dude!
S
stgeorgefan
nickdutson wrote:
Every time I read posts like this it reminds me of this:



You probably did not catch it, but Elder Ucthdorf of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles used the priesthood session of general conference to take a swipe at Hall's hateful rant about the University of Utah. The apostles said, "Perhaps there is no better laboratory to observe the sin of pride than the world of sports. I have always loved participating in and attending sporting events. But I confess there are times when the lack of civility in sports is embarrassing. How is it that normally kind and compassionate human beings can be so intolerant and filled with hatred toward an opposing team and its fans?...They justify their hatred with broad generalizations and apply them to everyone associated with the other team."



Really you would support satan over the Utes? What a Hippocrate.




You have a great point in this post but man did you screw it up putting your own twist on pres Ucthdorf's quote.

I like to think what Max did was a necessary evil. The rivalry was getting pretty ugly and I believe his comments made everyone step back and self evaluate.
S
Schmoe
nickdutson wrote:
Point proven. Because I didn't spell one word correctly and to my defense that was autocorrect on my phone that you jump on me for that and totally disregard the rest of my post.


Didn't disregard your post, but pointed out that you failed to grasp the hyperbole within Hawkwing's statement. It's okay if you missed it, stuff like that gets lost when we're not talking face-to-face, but it's also okay to admit that you took something literally that was meant figuratively and not rain on everyone else's parade.
I
IowaCougar
Schmoe wrote:
http://www.americangiftfactory.com/members/1283048/uploaded/PinkHippobox.JPG" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



https://d1q3aux3aignky.cloudfront.net/store/product/image_200/45432.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.bumblestrinketboxes.com/NewHippoBox-side.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://www.hippocratems.com/hippo-assets/slideshow/HC8.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


OK - since you didn't label this, I will: HIPPO-CRATE
M
Mars
nickdutson wrote:
Point proven. Because I didn't spell one word correctly and to my defense that was autocorrect on my phone that you jump on me for that and totally disregard the rest of my post.

I'm gonna have to pull the "Yep, this guy came into the thread with a whopping 14 posts" card. Newbies are always under suspicion until proven royal blue.



Now nick, recite to us the many ways how Utah and USU suck, and you may join the gang.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
I'm not going to start rooting for Utah because President Uchtdorf said to show sportsmanship. I don't go rubbing crap in the face of Utah fans, but I also won't wish them luck either. My utter disdain for the University of Utah goes well beyond the football team and athletic department. I can't stomach being around the vast majority of their fans. Even those who are friends of mine otherwise, I tend to avoid during football season, because these otherwise decent people all of the sudden become not so decent. It's amazing the change that comes over them. These people will never shirk away from an opportunity to tear down BYU and it's fans. It's completely deplorable. So no. I will not ever root for Utah in anything. Ever. If that's being prideful, then I'm being prideful. However, I don't think that in the day of judgement that I'll be sent packing because I didn't like the University of Utah.
S
scott715
"Most of us think of pride as self-centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness. All of these are elements of the sin, but the heart, or core, is still missing.



"The central feature of pride is enmity-enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen. Enmity means 'hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.' It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us.



"Pride is essentially competitive in nature. We pit our will against God's. When we direct our pride toward God, it is in the spirit of 'my will and not thine be done'"



Ezra Taft Benson
B
bigbluepuma
Going back to the original question: I think this one's a gimme. Let's stop and think for a minute. How many of us have had beer thrown on us at a USU game? How many have been called every vile name known to man repeatedly for the duration of the game, just for being at a USU game? How many have been belittled and degraded adnausium by our neighbors or on message boards by USU fans? How much time do the USU fans you know spend mocking and degrading your religion, or your very reason for being a BYU student or fan? How many USU coaches have been as arrogant and ignorant to other teams and coaches as Kwhit? How many USU fans have thrown things at the BYU players standing on the sidelines during a game (that actually happened at a :utard: game)? How much time do the USU fans you know spend telling you how far superior USU is (and they, of course, are) because it is a puke 12 school? When did USU ever rush our field and tear down the goal posts? This question is a no brainer!!! GO AGGIES!
B
bigbluepuma
Going back to the original question: I think this one's a gimme. Let's stop and think for a minute. How many of us have had beer thrown on us at a USU game? How many have been called every vile name known to man repeatedly for the duration of the game, just for being at a USU game? How many have been belittled and degraded adnausium by our neighbors or on message boards by USU fans? How much time do the USU fans you know spend mocking and degrading your religion, or your very reason for being a BYU student or fan? How many USU coaches have been as arrogant and ignorant to other teams and coaches as Kwhit? How many USU fans have thrown things at the BYU players standing on the sidelines during a game (that actually happened at a :utard: game)? How much time do the USU fans you know spend telling you how far superior USU is (and they, of course, are) because it is a puke 12 school? When did USU ever rush our field and tear down the goal posts? This question is a no brainer!!! GO AGGIES!
F
Florwood
For some reason I put that I couldn't decide, but that's stupid. I also have a degree from USU, and they are a reasonably good school. That will never replace BYU in my heart. And I have an unreasoning aversion to Utah winning anything, anytime. So please change me to wishing the U welcome to the church of the winless season, and forgive me my lapse of judgement.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Florwood wrote:
For some reason I put that I couldn't decide, but that's stupid. I also have a degree from USU, and they are a reasonably good school. That will never replace BYU in my heart. And I have an unreasoning aversion to Utah winning anything, anytime. So please change me to wishing the U welcome to the church of the winless season, and forgive me my lapse of judgement.


This poll was set up to allow you to change your vote. You can go back and click a different choice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
I'm pulling for USU. Based totally on how I've physically been treated in a substantial number of games in Logan and Salt Lake, I don't have a problem supporting USU when they are not playing BYU. I'm sure people have different experiences with each team, but I've enjoyed the rivalry more with USU. Puketah fans have been excessively degrading to me personally and if they never win another game I wouldn't be sad.
B
BroncoBot
USU all the way. And after BYU beats the other utah school, I won't care what happens with them the rest of the year. Not worth the time or the trouble to follow their downward spiral in the pac-12.



I have a lot of friends and family in my southern idaho hometown that attended USU, and none of them are as arrogant, annoying or obsessed with the rivalry as the few utah friends that I have. while I'm confident there are some upstanding solid uu fans out there, I can't think of any that I would want to watch a game with.
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.