Archived Topic

Key to A Succesful Season Is [fill in the blank]

by jonnylingo · 8/26/2013

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
In my opinion that key is our defense and how close the defense is to last year's defense.



I do believe that our offense has what it needs to be good. But i suspect there will be mistakes and growing pains. It seems like a high risk high reward type of things we are trying to do on offense. I see it really hitting its stride about half way through the season.



if our defense is as good as last year our offense will have time to grow. it will be able to manage games instead of trying to win them as it works things out. This will hopefully diminish the number of unnecessary turnovers/mistakes. If the D is as good as last year than a mildly improved offense will get us a lot of wins.



i had finally convinced myself that our D wouldn't take much of a step back when I saw that johnson and kanuch were manning the tackle spot well. After losing Kanuch and Johnson my confidence has waned.



In the last five years I don't remember feeling like I have no idea how good our team will be going into the season as I do this season. I know a lot of people are really confident but I am not at that point yet. I do think we get 7+ wins which is great given the schedule. I will be watching on Saturday intently and hoping that the defense looks really good again. If it does than I will be feeling a lot better about the Utah game which will follow three weeks later as well a the rest of our season.
B
BYULV
The OLine. Defense will be solid, hopefully even great. The offense will be good with an average OLine and excellent with a good to great OLine.
R
rblack
There's different levels of success. Kind of good, better, best. Good, win over Utah, 8 wins. Better, all the good plus 2 more wins, end of year ranking. Best, National Championship.
C
Cougs_Rule
Successful? 8 wins.



Key to better than successful? 9 or 10 wins.



Key to better than successful--



1. CBs better than average and no more injuries. (Don't have to be great.)

Better put, Better than average Pass coverage that can still stop the run effectively.

2. THill staying healthy. (Although better than good backup situation)



Oline will be much improved over last year.
M
mizzoucoug
It's the oline's performance. Period. Yes, there are other question marks at DB, NT, QB, and K. But none of those perennially suck like the Oline has at BYU. So if Taysom gets a pocket and the RB's can gash the good teams on our schedule then we can have a successful or special season. If the Oline gets owned again then we're looking at another mediocre 20 ppg offense where the D has to win us games. I think UVA has a good enough Dline to show us if there will be improvement in 2013.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Who believes the offensive line will actually be better. I am concerned with all the rotation talk that has come out today. It seems we don't have starters. I am not surprised. I didn't think they would have the oline ready until half way through the season. I don't think the oline will look much better than it did last year. Lets hope I am wrong.
S
Schmoe
9 wins, beat Utah.
4
49erCoug
Schmoe wrote:
9 wins, beat Utah.


I am with Schmoe....

I think I should make a shirt with an arrow :)
S
Schmoe
po_pocoug wrote:
9 wins, beat Utah.


I am with Schmoe....

I think I should make a shirt with an arrow :)


I like this idea! :D
D
Ddawg
O-line, and secondary. I worry about both "getting it done." If the O-line can execute and dominate, the Cougs will be impressive and pile up the W's.



To me, beating Utah, Notre Dame, and Boise St. (in that order) would be a HUGE success.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Ddawg wrote:
O-line, and secondary. I worry about both "getting it done." If the O-line can execute and dominate, the Cougs will be impressive and pile up the W's.



To me, beating Utah, Notre Dame, and Boise St. (in that order) would be a HUGE success.


Yeah - but wrong Order



0-3 Vs Utah. I agree, we cannot let 0-4 happen. Period. But, especially in our house before a 2-year hiatus.



0-3 Vs BSU. We cannot let 0-4 happen. Period. But especially in our house.



USU. We cannot let them rise up in our own neighborhood. Humble them now.



ND. This is for the conference title.



Texas. In case it helps our case for Inclusion rather than Independence.



Oh - Grit, leadership, execution, and depth. Those are the keys.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Call me crazy - but ..... certainly I don't want to lose to Utah St. But, if given a choice between beating Notre Dame in their house on a national stage or beating USU? I would pick beating Notre Dame as more important - to me. If I had a magic wand we would run the table.



As always, it's just personal perspective.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.