Archived Topic

Sandbagging

by FurriousCougar · 8/23/2013

Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
Since BYU's offensive style is going to be unknown to opponents, any chance you guys think that BYU "sandbags" some of our "go fast go hard" offense while playing Virginia to keep Texas from being able to gameplan for everything? For instance, maybe we don't run it quite as fast as we eventually plan on running it. I suppose this would almost be like "looking ahead", but not quite the same. I doubt that we would, unless we jump out to a huge lead early, but I'm bored and need something to talk about.
Q
Qman
I don't think we sandbag. I think the offense will naturally get faster with more game experience.
S
snoscythe
If it's new, you need reps to perfect it, and only perfect practice makes perfect.



I think you run it how you want it to run, and then, if you get ahead and the game is in hand, you slow it down and close the playbook.
J
jonnylingo
BYU must beat Virginia. If we don't we may start 0 and 3 which would just ruin the whole season. No need to sandbag or hold anything back. They need to do all they can to win that game.



we are underdogs to texas. the utah game is always a toss up and they have our number. virginia is therefore a must win game.



in my opinion the virginia game and the utah game are the most important games of the year.
S
Screamineagle
jonnylingo wrote:
BYU must beat Virginia. If we don't we may start 0 and 3 which would just ruin the whole season. No need to sandbag or hold anything back. They need to do all they can to win that game.



we are underdogs to texas. the utah game is always a toss up and they have our number. virginia is therefore a must win game.



in my opinion the virginia game and the utah game are the most important games of the year.

Yes and thankfully Bronco and the team have extra time to prepare for both Virginia and Utah and he has a good track record with extra prep time so I am hopeful.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Just win. I don't care if it comes at the cost of a few points vs. UT. That's a potential loss most of us could accept. But to treat UVA with anything less than full respect would be illogical and foolish. Bronco's teams don't score a lot anyway week 1 and we tend to have plenty of problems in games 2 and 3. So unless he sandbags every year I'd prefer we just give the offense the green arrow.
B
BerliNY
I think one of the biggest advantages of the go-fast-go-hard offense is that you can't prepare for it because you can't simulate it. You can watch all the film in the world but because it's so simple there's not that much to learn so film study doesn't help that much. Unless your scout team (or your own 1s) can simulate going that fast without losing effectiveness, you can practice going against it. If BYU can get more reps against UVA going as fast as they possibly can, I think that helps us more than the additional film helps UT.
S
Schmoe
I don't know that we'll have the luxury of choosing to sandbag vs. Virginia. We've got a lot of new moving parts and the Cavs are no slouch.
G
Gunk
I don't think the offense is known well enough to where we could purposefully not capitalize on it to its full extent. Throw in a newbie QB and OL and I hope there is no sandbagging.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.