Archived Topic

Payton Dastrup

by dcougarman · 8/10/2013

Advertisement
D
dcougarman
Cut his list down to 7, Kansas, BYU, Florida, Ohio St, Virginia, Arizona, UCLA. Do we have a chance?

https://twitter.com/PDastrup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J
JayhawkCoug
I haven't heard his name mentioned in any KU recruiting discussion at all. There aren't a lot of scholarships for next year, and I know the jayhawks are focused on only a few very elite players. As for the rest, I have no idea. It would be awesome if BYU could get him.
C
craigoscarson
JayhawkCoug wrote:
I haven't heard his name mentioned in any KU recruiting discussion at all. There aren't a lot of scholarships for next year, and I know the jayhawks are focused on only a few very elite players. As for the rest, I have no idea. It would be awesome if BYU could get him.


Florida, Virginia, KU... sounds like likeable coaches that have been successful but none sound like a good fit.

Dastrup is mission 1st so we're talking 3 years from now. KU makes no sense for an RM, I've been to their singles ward 15 years ago... pickins were slim. He might not have it in his head now, but after a mission that is going to be a huge factor. UCLA is such a hot mess right now.



Self is a great coach, but KU makes no sense. I think it'll come down to BYU and Arizona. The fact that ASU isn't on the list helps us a lot (surprising, bet there's an interesting story there). ASU is his home town team and they're up and comers with Jahii Carson and others, Arizona isn't really that close to Phoenix. If he were strongly considering BYU, then why not keep the home town team off the last list so some of the pressure could be off? (which he did)



The troubling part is that he hasn't pulled the trigger yet and we rarely get those guys in football or hoops.
Q
Qman
If I was the kid, I would probably take my chances Arizona. Good coach, tradition and big time exposure.



It doesn't sound like BYU LDS environment is a big selling point.
C
Cougs_Rule
He seems kind of gamey in his tweets. I agree with Craig. I think BYU misses on this kid. Wild love to see him at BYU, but wouldn't put money on it.
Advertisement
D
dcougarman
Its down to three Byu, Virginia and Ohio state. He says he will decide in december.
C
craigoscarson
dcougarman wrote:
Its down to three Byu, Virginia and Ohio state. He says he will decide in december.


Just dumped Arizona (BIG)... I have no idea how he could chose Virginia or Ohio State over BYU, his church, and his good friend Jake Toolson.



It looks like we're in the drivers seat. I think ultimately he chose the 3 that treated him the best, but with Arizona and ASU (previously) out of the picture. I think BYU is looking better and better.



Let's hope the Cougs don't look completely lost in their noncon sched... it's not the easiest we've ever had. The fact that the Arizona schools are out bodes well for us, particularly since he has mission plans. How could you possibly go on a mission and come back and think Ohio State or Virginia are your best options, when one of your best friends (Jake Toolson) will be at the Y, and Payton is very familiar with the talent of Mika, Emery, Haws, etc.



If that's really his top 3 and he goes somewhere other than BYU, then I'll wonder where his head is at.



With Jabari Parker, it was fairly clear where his head was at, particularly with his dad not being LDS and not favoring BYU.
C
Cougs_Rule
Thanks for The update. Interesting.
S
scott715
A text from David Dastrup, Peyton Dastrup's father, says that Peyton is down to Florida, Virginia, BYU and Ohio State.
C
Cougs_Rule
Virginia? What's that all about? I get the other three.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Virginia? What's that all about? I get the other three.


Good coach with his roots in the West.. decent program... terrible place for an RM.



I didn't realize that Florida was still in the mix... that's the one I'm worried about. It's also the worst one for an RM... but I can see how it would be tempting.
B
BerliNY
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Virginia? What's that all about? I get the other three.


You get to experience what it's like to lose in cameron indoor *4 times* before you graduate!
C
craigoscarson
BerliNY wrote:
Virginia? What's that all about? I get the other three.


You get to experience what it's like to lose in cameron indoor *4 times* before you graduate!


Do they play that much with Florida in the SEC?
C
Cougs_Rule
BerliNY wrote:
Virginia? What's that all about? I get the other three.


You get to experience what it's like to lose in cameron indoor *4 times* before you graduate!


Nice! Lol
B
byufan4ever
Recent article:



http://247sports.com/Article/Dastrup-Heeds-Higher-Calling-157828



He gives reasons for each school remaining on his list:


Asked to discuss his finalists, he said, “I think they each have something for me and something that really stands out.”



“I’d say BYU is the most comfortable for me,” he added. “Ohio State is probably the best in terms of ratio of getting people into the NBA. Virginia probably has the best conference to play in. Florida probably has the best coaching staff overall.


Commenters seem to think that he's BYU's to lose.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
byufan4ever wrote:
Recent article:



http://247sports.com/Article/Dastrup-Heeds-Higher-Calling-157828



He gives reasons for each school remaining on his list:


Asked to discuss his finalists, he said, “I think they each have something for me and something that really stands out.”



“I’d say BYU is the most comfortable for me,” he added. “Ohio State is probably the best in terms of ratio of getting people into the NBA. Virginia probably has the best conference to play in. Florida probably has the best coaching staff overall.


Commenters seem to think that he's BYU's to lose.


Dave Rose is not chopped liver and comfort level should always be #1. He's a fish out of water at those other schools, especially after his mission... Maybe he should pick up the phone and call Chris Burgess.
B
byufan4ever
Sounds like it's largely between BYU and Ohio St. I'd put the chances for each school at:



BYU - 45%

Ohio St. - 40%

Virginia - 10%

Florida - 5%
C
Cougs_Rule
Is there a news conference in the near future? I'm just sayin.



I don't begrudge NFL and NBA dreams, but wow, is this kid another Chris blowout Burgess? I don't even know much about him. So, im asking. But I'm sure this whole milking the recruiting scene has to bother Dave Rose. Is this kid that good? Would other BYU players take very kindly to him? Would they blend?
C
Cougs_Rule
I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that he decides this week.?
C
craigoscarson
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that he decides this week.?


He said December over social media, but sooner is good.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.