Archived Topic

Reading the Comments on Utefans.net...

by Italics · 11/29/2009

Advertisement
I
Italics
What a bunch of cry-baby thugs.



"We'll get BYU next year"



"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"



Right... Max having a poor passing game against the :utard:'s will erase his 2-1 record against them. They are in such bitter denial that it is truly as sad and pathetic as it is funny :lol: :sick:



*edited by Admin. Keep it clean.
B
BroncoBot
Italics wrote:
What a bunch of cry-baby thugs.



"We'll get BYU next year"



"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"



Right... Max having a poor passing game against the :utard:'s will erase his 2-1 record against them. They are in such bitter denial that it is truly as sad and pathetic as it is funny :lol: :sick:


Wow, are we already worrying about what the utes are saying.



Are we really giving what they have to say so much credit????????



My team won, I don't give a damn what the utes are saying right now.
M
Matty-B
Italics wrote:
"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"


This is priceless!!! What retard would say something like that after he just threw a game winning TD on em? :utard:
I
Italics
declocoug wrote:
What a bunch of cry-baby thugs.



"We'll get BYU next year"



"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"



Right... Max having a poor passing game against the :utard:'s will erase his 2-1 record against them. They are in such bitter denial that it is truly as sad and pathetic as it is funny :lol: :sick:


Wow, are we already worrying about what the utes are saying.



Are we really giving what they have to say so much credit????????



My team won, I don't give a damn what the utes are saying right now.


Watching them cry makes the win more sweet for me.

Yeah, I'm evil, so what?
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Italics wrote:
"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"

Sadly, there's nothing that can make me disagree with this one. The most important game in the BYU-Utah rivalry on Max Hall's watch (no, it definitely wasn't the 4th-and-18 game, and it wasn't this year's also-ran game), a game that would have given BYU a 3rd consecutive Conference Championship and an outside shot at the BCS berth, ended with a 24 point win for Utah, compliments of FIVE interceptions by Hall, the win VAULTING the Utes to the Sugar Bowl and an eventual victory there.



Theirs IS the last laugh as it relates to Max Hall.

:blush:
Advertisement
M
Matty-B
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"

Theirs IS the last laugh as it relates to Max Hall.

:blush:


:angry: Boooooo! :angry:
I
Italics
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"

Sadly, there's nothing that can make me disagree with this one. The most important game in the BYU-Utah rivalry on Max Hall's watch (no, it definitely wasn't the 4th-and-18 game, and it wasn't this year's also-ran game), a game that would have given BYU a 3rd consecutive Conference Championship and an outside shot at the BCS berth, ended with a 24 point win for Utah, compliments of FIVE interceptions by Hall, the win VAULTING the Utes to the Sugar Bowl and an eventual victory there.



Theirs IS the last laugh as it relates to Max Hall.

:blush:


I think you need a cool-down man, your comments about the game have been extremely negative.



In case you missed it, we WON ;)
A
ABYUFAN
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
"We'll always get the last laugh on Max Hall"

Sadly, there's nothing that can make me disagree with this one. The most important game in the BYU-Utah rivalry on Max Hall's watch (no, it definitely wasn't the 4th-and-18 game, and it wasn't this year's also-ran game), a game that would have given BYU a 3rd consecutive Conference Championship and an outside shot at the BCS berth, ended with a 24 point win for Utah, compliments of FIVE interceptions by Hall, the win VAULTING the Utes to the Sugar Bowl and an eventual victory there.



Theirs IS the last laugh as it relates to Max Hall.

:blush:


Would you have traded the two wins for the one loss?
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Hadn't thought of it in those terms, but looking back on it, probably so. In '07, yeah, woulda been a downer to end the season with a loss, but easily explainable as a rookie starting qb in a huge rivalry situation he wasn't prepared for (true, keep in mind we just happened to win). We go 7 - 1 in conf for an outright title anyway. This year, we were playing for a guaranteed NON-1st-place, and we showed we weren't all that good anyway. Woulda sucked, sure, but reading over the last few days' posts, not too many here were all that optomistic anyway, and seeing the conclusion, rightly so. Last year, however, could have been made MARKEDLY better with a win over the U. As I said before, Co-champ, highest ranking of the 3, and an outside shot of beating out Boise for the highest ranking and the BCS berth. Had that happened, I see the Sugar having passed on us (a 1-loss NON in THEIR prestigious game???) for Cinci, leaving us with a truly inferior Va Tech and likely win in the Orange Bowl.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Sorry for the 2nd post, I'm on a site-to-mobile converter that only lets me write so much.



That would get the BCS monkey off our backs, AND the Utes off our backs for not matching theirs (now TWO!). Now, to be fair, I can't guarantee we'd have leapfrogged Boise, but the majority of College Sports Analysts I heard said they thought that'd have happened. So long answer to short question, yes, a 1-loss 2008 could easily be traded for losses to the U in two seasons whose worth had been measured and meted out long before kickoff.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
Sorry for the 2nd post, I'm on a site-to-mobile converter that only lets me write so much.



That would get the BCS monkey off our backs, AND the Utes off our backs for not matching theirs (now TWO!). Now, to be fair, I can't guarantee we'd have leapfrogged Boise, but the majority of College Sports Analysts I heard said they thought that'd have happened. So long answer to short question, yes, a 1-loss 2008 could easily be traded for losses to the U in two seasons whose worth had been measured and meted out long before kickoff.


I can't really argue with this. I personally believe we'd not have made the BCS with one bad loss and BSU with none... but we'll never know. So I guess we'll just have to disagree on that - which means we'll ultimately have to disagree on who had the "last laugh" I think Max has it.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
You know, ABYUFAN, that's more than fair. I appreciate you being a pacifier when it's clear I haven't been the most positive of posters this evening. You asked a very insightful question, and I just took the time to explore it in my quirky little pea-brain. As for who really has the last laugh, you're right, of course, Max proved in his final game he could do what it took to beat them. Through the lense of time, I'm sure Max's mark on the rivalry will simply be a matter of differing perspectives between the two camps. We'll remember 2 insta-classic gutsy wins in hotly contested games, and they'll remember a strong win on their way to an eventual #2 ranking (hey, at least '84 still trumps it, right??? :P). From that light, forgetting the (albeit intriguing above-discussed hypothetical scenario), yeah, I like to think Max got his last laugh in too.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
And Italics, you are correct also, and I thank you for your candor. I DID need to chill out, take a step back and breathe a bit. This thread has actually been vary therapeutic for me, and I think I've figured out why, and more importantly, why I HAVE been so negative this evening.I mentioned the '05 Utah game in the other thread. It was VERY emotional for me. You see, it wasn't just my friends' final game, it was mine too. That was my final year as a student at BYU. I'd been at every game, cheering faithfully, during the worst years of BYU Football since a decade before I was born. A winning season, to me, I suppose, would have represented recompense, atonement even, for the hardships my team and I went through together. How perfectly it was coming together. A rebirth: a new coach, a new hope, a very real possibility of EIGHT WHOLE WINS! ...And a rivalry game that, on paper anyway, an opponent that our rival stood very little chance of winning. Yet I looked on in horror as we played down to them...
I
Italics
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
And Italics, you are correct also, and I thank you for your candor. I DID need to chill out, take a step back and breathe a bit. This thread has actually been vary therapeutic for me, and I think I've figured out why, and more importantly, why I HAVE been so negative this evening.I mentioned the '05 Utah game in the other thread. It was VERY emotional for me. You see, it wasn't just my friends' final game, it was mine too. That was my final year as a student at BYU. I'd been at every game, cheering faithfully, during the worst years of BYU Football since a decade before I was born. A winning season, to me, I suppose, would have represented recompense, atonement even, for the hardships my team and I went through together. How perfectly it was coming together. A rebirth: a new coach, a new hope, a very real possibility of EIGHT WHOLE WINS! ...And a rivalry game that, on paper anyway, an opponent that our rival stood very little chance of winning. Yet I looked on in horror as we played down to them...


Nowadays, we just play down to them 99/100ths of the game, and then play at our TRUE superior level on the last drive :crazy:
G
GolfDiveNCougs
...only to watch us have to claw and scrape our way back, against that blasted second-string quarterback, running that second-rate team! I was on the FRONT ROW of the North Stands, and on that LAST PLAY, not 30 feet from Michael Reed's outstretched fingertips...and not 29 1/2 feet from the ball. There weren't a half-dozen people not wearing uniforms closer to that lifeless ball than I was. And there weren't a half dozen people ANYWHERE that took it harder than me. That moment: that game, that opposing team, that rivalry, encapsulated and sealed in my bruised heart every anger I then felt toward my team for not playing to their potential, ESPECIALLY against that opponent in following years. It was MINE!!! And not the rival, MY team had taken it away from me! ...for playing down...So each and every subsequent year, I got angrier and angrier at every rivalry game that went to the wire, when in each of those years we WERE, EASILY, the better team (YES, even last year!)...
Advertisement
G
GolfDiveNCougs
...So despite the fact that I was actually ECSTATIC over an AMAZING finish in fully THREE OUT OF FOUR YEARS, I realize now that I haven't acually been able to bring myself to be just plain ol' HAPPY for my team's success. My anger for what did and didn't happen on that fateful November 2007 afternoon (oh, I forgot the detail that the game was also ON MY BIRTHDAY!) wasn't warranted just because it was MY swansong. It didn't end anything except me yelling myself hoarse at the TV fron a thousand miles away, rather than from 30 feet. The team did IMMESURABLY better the next year, and just as well as THAT the following three. I guess this means I CAN still be disheartened that our team still needs critical pieces (be they emotional, structural, managerial or otherwise), and still be genuinely happy that the pieces we have, have taken us places we've never been before. Thanks all, for being my psychotherapist. I think I have forgiven '05. I hope I can be the fan who one day deserves '05 forgiving me. GO COUGS!
S
SpiffCoug
The last time BYU won 3 of 4 against Utah was 2001, 2000 and 1998.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.