Archived Topic

This is it, ladies and gentlemen

by Y 4 Ever · 8/8/2013

Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
This is the year that we have been waiting for. The stars are all aligning. the team is coming together nicely. This year is going to be amazing. 12-0 baby! :evil: :evil: :evil:
C
Cougs_Rule
I don't know about undefeated, but I think a better season than many doubters and naysayers are predicting. Could even be a special season.
R
RiseShoutCougs
YES!! Love the optimism.
C
Cougarfan87
I feel it in my bones every year... :crazy: ...until the first loss :~( :blush:
J
jonnylingo
There is no chance we go undefeated. Small chance we win 10 games. Decent chance of 9, likely chance of 7 to 8. that is how i see it. unlikely that we only win 6 games. 8 wins this season not counting a bowl game would be considered very successful for me.
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
jonnylingo wrote:
There is no chance we go undefeated. Small chance we win 10 games. Decent chance of 9, likely chance of 7 to 8. that is how i see it. unlikely that we only win 6 games. 8 wins this season not counting a bowl game would be considered very successful for me.


You need to brush up on your probability. Improbable? Yes. Extremely unlikely? Also yes. But no chance? Meaning impossible? Simply and mathematically false. I'd put us going undefeated more probable than Appy State beating Michigan in the Big House in 2007 - an extremely unlikely outcome that nevertheless happened - because going undefeated is something we've actually done before.



Which of the 12 games do you consider to be 100% unwinnable, if I might ask? We should let the team know they shouldn't bother showing up.
M
mormonrasta
redneckjedi wrote:
I'd put us going undefeated more probable than Appy State beating Michigan in the Big House in 2007 - an extremely unlikely outcome that nevertheless happened - because going undefeated is something we've actually done before.


FCS teams win 7% of their games vs. FBS teams. I wouldn't give us a 7% chance of going undefeated.



Honestly, I really don't care about being undefeated this year. It is not a realistic expectation for any fan. Running through scenarios of undefeated seasons for BYU with this schedule is like mentally spending your lottery winnings after you buy a ticket. Is it possible that the desired results would equate to the outcomes that you've imagined? Sure. In reality is it worth dwelling on? No.



I hoping to beat 2 teams that finish ranked this year. Only twice has BYU won 2 regular season games vs. teams that finished ranked. The last time was 1992. I can imagine this season going much like that season which would be a really nice season.
D
Ddawg
jonnylingo wrote:
There is no chance we go undefeated. Small chance we win 10 games. Decent chance of 9, likely chance of 7 to 8. that is how i see it. unlikely that we only win 6 games. 8 wins this season not counting a bowl game would be considered very successful for me.


Yep. Wut he said. I think we win 8-9 wins + a Bowl game. However, I would love the see this team "gel" and the new O-coaching staff generate some magic. Love the Cougs kick some heavy arse every game.
S
Schmoe
mormonrasta wrote:
I'd put us going undefeated more probable than Appy State beating Michigan in the Big House in 2007 - an extremely unlikely outcome that nevertheless happened - because going undefeated is something we've actually done before.


FCS teams win 7% of their games vs. FBS teams. I wouldn't give us a 7% chance of going undefeated.


What percentage of FCS teams beat top-ten ranked FBS opponents on the road? Would you give us that probability of going undefeated?
M
mormonrasta
Schmoe wrote:
redneckjedi wrote:
I'd put us going undefeated more probable than Appy State beating Michigan in the Big House in 2007 - an extremely unlikely outcome that nevertheless happened - because going undefeated is something we've actually done before.


FCS teams win 7% of their games vs. FBS teams. I wouldn't give us a 7% chance of going undefeated.


What percentage of FCS teams beat top-ten ranked FBS opponents on the road? Would you give us that probability of going undefeated?


FCS teams are 1-50 over the last decade vs. teams ranked in the top 10. No, I wouldn't give us about a 2% chance of going undefeated. Not with this schedule. Winning 10 games would be a real stretch, and it would be awesome if we could accomplish that.
Advertisement
S
stgeorgefan
Instead of comparing FBS teams vs, or FBS teams chances at being undefeated. How about we compare BYU with BYU.



How many undefeated season Byu has had and how many seasons they have played..

To me that's a good base line. Followed up by MANY factors I'm not willing to go into because its a waste of time. ( to many factors and to many variables )
Y
Y 4 Ever
jonnylingo wrote:
There is no chance we go undefeated. Small chance we win 10 games. Decent chance of 9, likely chance of 7 to 8. that is how i see it. unlikely that we only win 6 games. 8 wins this season not counting a bowl game would be considered very successful for me.

Dude, stop being a rain cloud. YOu can go dance in the streets after the first loss thus validating your position. But until then...we are going to be 12-0 baby!
G
golong
It's a successful season if we win the first three games. We won't lose all the rest, but if we start out 3-0, BYU is sitting on top of the world...and Wisconsin and Notre Dame are suddenly very nervous.



If the offense can score 5 TDs at Virginia, the team will be ready for Texas, and with two wins under their belt, the Utes have no chance. BYU will be 3-0, then 4-0, then...
C
Cougy_Monster
golong wrote:
It's a successful season if we win the first three games. We won't lose all the rest, but if we start out 3-0, BYU is sitting on top of the world...and Wisconsin and Notre Dame are suddenly very nervous.



If the offense can score 5 TDs at Virginia, the team will be ready for Texas, and with two wins under their belt, the Utes have no chance. BYU will be 3-0, then 4-0, then...


This



I want byu to win 1 game at a time. As they do the momentum will build. And build. A perfect season never really happens. It's just a bunch of games that u happen to win every time. It takes a Ton of luck. But it's doable.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I'm going to add going 4-0. Because if BYU can get to 3-0 and then beat Middle Tennessee on a quick turn around THEN we'll know what BYU might really be able to do this year.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
After Bronco's first year, I have believed every off-season that it was possible for us to go undefeated the next season and that hasn't changed. 12-0!
B
BoiseBYU
I believe we can go 12-0 but will not be devastated if we don't. I'm a Cougar fan through thick and thin.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Schmoe wrote:
After Bronco's first year, I have believed every off-season that it was possible for us to go undefeated the next season and that hasn't changed. 12-0!


Can I get an AMEN!
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm going to add going 4-0. Because if BYU can get to 3-0 and then beat Middle Tennessee on a quick turn around THEN we'll know what BYU might really be able to do this year.


This. If BYU even goes 3-0 I will be ecstatic! It will mean wins over fairly highly rated and a Big time college program in Texas and a win over the Utes! Huge. I would trade those two wins over BSU and maybe even USU. though I don't think we would lose to USU if we are capable of beating UT and U. We will be off to a special season.
S
stgeorgefan
If you believe this is Byu's hardest slat of games ever than this is the worst year to predict a 12-0 season.



Look back on Utah's, BSU's, TCU and Hawaii. Cup cake schedule. Byu is 84' was lucky to get a 6-6 Michigan to end the season as well.



I dig the optimism I guess. Hope that those same optimistic fans aren't calling for Anae head after 7-8 wins though :bug:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.