Archived Topic

Hurry-Up!

by Stirfry · 8/7/2013

Advertisement
S
Stirfry
I really hope we really have a hurry-up offense this season. Last year we had the "nitro offense" that seemed to lack the nitro the majority of the time. Even though hurry-up isn't really a new thing, I still think that BYU needs something a little unique to be truly great. When Lavell brought the passing attack in the 80's it set us apart. If we want to be a true championship level team, I think we need to do something more like Boise than like Alabama. I like our talent and players but we need something more as we'll never have the top talent Alabama does.



Bronco stresses execution which could be what sets us apart if we really can execute better but we need something like hurry-up/better execution/revolutionary passing attack/trick plays to make us truly great.



Are you a believer that we'll really have a hurry-up? I’m skeptically optimistic ;)
M
mizzoucoug
I trust Anae 100x more than I trusted Doman so my confidence stems more from him than from the player. The biggest question for this type of offense though is do you have the assets/talent to keep the chains moving consistently? AZ does. Oregon does. Does BYU? On paper we look ok, but besides Hoffman nobody else is a proven reliable threat to go downfield. This offense puts up 28/game if Matthews and Falslev get open. And we'll see if Apo is truly a football player or actually is just another hyped softy this season.
C
Cougs_Rule
With the emergence of Mathews and a qb who can consistently throw downfield and not favor Hoff like RN did, Hoffs #s might be down this year. He may regret not jumping to NFL. I hope he has a great year, but....

Yes, the hurry helps.
S
Schmoe
Didn't Hoff have similar numbers and targets when the esteemed JH was QBing, as well? Hmmm...
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:
Didn't Hoff have similar numbers and targets when the esteemed JH was QBing, as well? Hmmm...


Look it up before you make more of an....error out of yourself. ;)
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I have no problem with our QB favoring Hoffman and throwing the ball a ton of times to him.



He's a great wide receiver. He makes plays. He gets the job done.



By my count, here is what the WR corps did last year.

192 catches for 2,090 yards with 15 TDs and 15 INTs for 10.9 yards per catch. Their RER (Receiver Efficiency Rating) was 124.06.



But here is what their numbers look like without Hoffman:

92 catches for 842 yards with 4 TD and 6 INTs for 9.2 yards per catch and a RER of 103.10.



Throwing the ball to Cody is always a good idea.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Didn't Hoff have similar numbers and targets when the esteemed JH was QBing, as well? Hmmm...


Look it up before you make more of an....error out of yourself. ;)

I happen to have those numbers.



In 2011, here are Hoffman's numbers by the QB throwing to him:

Heaps (8 games played): 24 catches on 44 targets for 340 yards for 2 TDs and 0 INTs for a RER of 134.45 and 14.2 yards per catch and 7.7 yards per target and a 54.5% completion rate.

Nelson(9 games played): 55 catches on 68 targets for 884 yards for 10 TDs and 1 INT for a RER of 235.67 and 16.1 yards per catch and 13.0 yards per target and a 80.9% completion rate
S
Schmoe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Didn't Hoff have similar numbers and targets when the esteemed JH was QBing, as well? Hmmm...


Look it up before you make more of an....error out of yourself. ;)


You're right, Riley threw to Hoff a whole 2 more times per game than JH did, and at a completion percentage over 80, wouldn't it be stupid not to? Oh, I'm such an error :roll:
R
redneckjedi
mizzoucoug wrote:
I trust Anae 100x more than I trusted Doman so my confidence stems more from him than from the player. The biggest question for this type of offense though is do you have the assets/talent to keep the chains moving consistently? AZ does. Oregon does. Does BYU? On paper we look ok, but besides Hoffman nobody else is a proven reliable threat to go downfield. This offense puts up 28/game if Matthews and Falslev get open. And we'll see if Apo is truly a football player or actually is just another hyped softy this season.


I've been encouraged by practice reports of multiple receivers hauling in passes of 40+ yards in practice, and most of them NOT named Cody Hoffman. One, because we're actually trying to throw them and stretch the defense vertically, two, because we're capable of completing them, and three, because it's not just one guy doing it.
J
jonnylingo
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Didn't Hoff have similar numbers and targets when the esteemed JH was QBing, as well? Hmmm...


Look it up before you make more of an....error out of yourself. ;)


Just using the winking cougar doesn't make up for a lame comment like that.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!
C
Cougarfan87
SpiffCoug wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!


What are you talking about? We didn't play football in 2003. I'm pretty sure we sat that year out... :whistle:
S
Schmoe
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!


What are you talking about? We didn't play football in 2003. I'm pretty sure we sat that year out... :whistle:


I was on my mission then, so it didn't happen ;)
S
SpiffCoug
Schmoe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!


What are you talking about? We didn't play football in 2003. I'm pretty sure we sat that year out... :whistle:


I was on my mission then, so it didn't happen ;)

I was in Iraq, but the Armed Forces Network showed many of the games. LONG year and season.
Advertisement
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!


What are you talking about? We didn't play football in 2003. I'm pretty sure we sat that year out... :whistle:


I was on my mission then, so it didn't happen ;)

I was in Iraq, but the Armed Forces Network showed many of the games. LONG year and season.


I was at the stadium, every game. LOOOONG season.
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!


What are you talking about? We didn't play football in 2003. I'm pretty sure we sat that year out... :whistle:


I was on my mission then, so it didn't happen ;)

I was in Iraq, but the Armed Forces Network showed many of the games. LONG year and season.


I was at the stadium, every game. LOOOONG season.

Aye. disgraceful.
B
BroncoBot
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

how about all eggs in two baskets? Would love to have another year of Pitta/Collie holding those eggs.
U
Ungoy
Schmoe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!


What are you talking about? We didn't play football in 2003. I'm pretty sure we sat that year out... :whistle:


I was on my mission then, so it didn't happen ;)


This... I will always be grateful that my mission was served from November 2002-2004, so I missed 2 and a half of the worst years of recent BYU Football. I still had to deal with most of the '02 season (missed the :utard: game thankfully), but I have no memories of '03 and mostly none of '04.
C
Cougarbib
Ungoy wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Putting most of ones eggs in one basket isn't always the best approach. And this year will prove that point. The ball will get spread around considerably more.

Thank goodness BYU has had Hoff. Not bashing him at all.

Yep, if you want to see what BYU's offense would have looked like the last two years without Hoffman go look back at the stats and recaps and highlights of the 2003 season when our two best receivers were Toby and David Christensen with a mix of Jason Kukahiko thrown in.



Thank goodness for Hoffman!


What are you talking about? We didn't play football in 2003. I'm pretty sure we sat that year out... :whistle:


I was on my mission then, so it didn't happen ;)


This... I will always be grateful that my mission was served from November 2002-2004, so I missed 2 and a half of the worst years of recent BYU Football. I still had to deal with most of the '02 season (missed the :utard: game thankfully), but I have no memories of '03 and mostly none of '04.


This explains how many - not necessarily you - BYU Fans started sounding so ENTITLED so soon. They missed the great reminder of what can happen when a new guy that is HYPED to be the guy that will instantly take us to the nexy level - takes over. He took us to the next level or two - DOWN.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.