Archived Topic

what I really want...

by cscoug · 7/27/2013

Advertisement
C
cscoug
The last two years of BYU's lack of success have kind of made me loose my blue-goggle outlook. I think this year, about the best I can hope for is 8-9 wins at most, including the bowl game. This is a bit disappointing because I have always been one that wants to beef up the football schedule and play more nationally recognized programs. If I hadn't just experienced two years of Riley Nelson and offensive futility, in spite of a season of the best defensive football in BYU's history, I would be ecstatic to have a year where I get to see BYU play Virginia, Texas, Utah, Boise St, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame. Even Utah St, Houston, Nevada, and Middle Tennessee add to a quality, national schedule. This is the most exciting schedule I've ever had to anticipate! Yet, the last two years have really burned my optimism.



So what I really want is for Tayson Hill to exceed my expectations, have him work behind an efficient, cohesive, and physical offensive line, see a balanced and powerful running and aerial offensive attack, watch a swarming defensive corps with unyielding effort, and witness a special teams unit that can get the job done. I want a BYU team that shows they can handle a schedule like this. I want an 11-1 or 12-0 BYU team that goes to a BCS bowl and wins.



In short, I want BYU success--a lot of it. Is that too much to ask for?



Maybe it will all start next weekend...
K
KYCoug
Overachieve!!! 8) That's what I'm talking about! Make us proud!!!
N
northerncougar
cscoug wrote:
The last two years of BYU's lack of success have kind of made me loose my blue-goggle outlook. I think this year, about the best I can hope for is 8-9 wins at most, including the bowl game. This is a bit disappointing because I have always been one that wants to beef up the football schedule and play more nationally recognized programs. If I hadn't just experienced two years of Riley Nelson and offensive futility, in spite of a season of the best defensive football in BYU's history, I would be ecstatic to have a year where I get to see BYU play Virginia, Texas, Utah, Boise St, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame. Even Utah St, Houston, Nevada, and Middle Tennessee add to a quality, national schedule. This is the most exciting schedule I've ever had to anticipate! Yet, the last two years have really burned my optimism.



So what I really want is for Tayson Hill to exceed my expectations, have him work behind an efficient, cohesive, and physical offensive line, see a balanced and powerful running and aerial offensive attack, watch a swarming defensive corps with unyielding effort, and witness a special teams unit that can get the job done. I want a BYU team that shows they can handle a schedule like this. I want an 11-1 or 12-0 BYU team that goes to a BCS bowl and wins.



In short, I want BYU success--a lot of it. Is that too much to ask for?



Maybe it will all start next weekend...


It's never too much ask, just make sure you manage your expectations.



I'm right there with you.
F
frdbtr
I don't think there is any true Cougar fan that doesn't want the exact same thing. It isn't going to happen though :) My only absolute this year is BYU just cannot lose to the utes. That is the only game on the sched for me that is a must win. We can't give the utes the mental advantage for a 2 year break, we just can't.
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
I don't think there is any true Cougar fan that doesn't want the exact same thing. It isn't going to happen though :) My only absolute this year is BYU just cannot lose to the utes. That is the only game on the sched for me that is a must win. We can't give the utes the mental advantage for a 2 year break, we just can't.


+10000000000000000000
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I don't need anyone to exceed my expectations, but it would be nice to at least meet them.



For three years I've been waiting for a QB to consistently play at an average level, and for three years that's not been happening. Maybe this year it will.



Here's a prediction, if BYU's QB reaches that level in the Utah game, that game will be a two touchdown win for the Cougars.
M
mormonrasta
If we finish 9-4 with this schedule, I would be thrilled. If we win 10 games this would go down as one of our greatest teams of all time.



We just do not beat quality major teams or legit ranked teams with any kind of regularity in the regular season. We have the potential to face quite a few of such teams this year. Considering BYU has essentially been an 8-4 type of program in each of the last 2 decades playing much easier schedules than this one, an 8 win season would be a pretty decent accomplishment this year.
C
Cougarbib
northerncougar wrote:
I don't think there is any true Cougar fan that doesn't want the exact same thing. It isn't going to happen though :) My only absolute this year is BYU just cannot lose to the utes. That is the only game on the sched for me that is a must win. We can't give the utes the mental advantage for a 2 year break, we just can't.


+10000000000000000000


I will start a related poll. Some might concede some PAC advantaged shift helping Ute recruiting - while others may be getting a little bothered by USU starting to demand and get scheduling parity with BYU. I cannot rationalize or stomach a loss to USU either. USU beat us and then nearly beat us twice in Provo. Even Riley Nelson haters should thank the stars that he managed to get that 40 yard prayer answered. BYU cannot afford to let USU become a peer.



Ok. I am to lazy to make a poll, but for me - U and USU and BSU are must wins because at the end of the day and in-spite of Big 5 attempts to ruin the sport - College football is a regional and local sport.



U - 0-3 streak

BSU - 0-3 streak

USU - 2-1 streak that was 2 heartbeats shy of 0-3 even with a 2-1 home field advantage



And then MTSU and such teams would be must wins due to embarrassment factor.



People complain that Bronco only wins the games he is supposed to win. But wait until you hear the complaining if he loses one of those.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
We are not on a 1-2 streak w/ Utah St. We're on a 12-1 streak and 22-2 streak.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
We are not on a 1-2 streak w/ Utah St. We're on a 12-1 streak and 22-2 streak.


Spiff. Actually, we are on a 2-1 streak that was perilously close to being 0-3, as well as those longer streaks you mentioned where we dominated.



Times are changing while BYU has stood still in recent years.



Utah was a nobody. Utah became a peer. Utah joined PAC 12.

BSU was in a lower division. Graduated. Became a peer. Became a national darling.

TCU was a nobody. Became a peer. Joined Big 12.

USU was near extinction. Had a run. Joined MWC. I do not want to see USU become a peer. They just muscled us on scheduling.



It seems like you do not want to see it either.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Assuming USU's new coach can keep the team rolling, USU is well on its way to becoming a peer. Can't afford to lose to Utah or USU. We can afford to lose to BSU. BSU is perceived as the better program.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Could USU, by staying in the MWC, surpass Utah?



I wonder if they could duplicate what Utah did while in the MWC - namely, become one of the better non-BCS programs.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Could USU, by staying in the MWC, surpass Utah?



I wonder if they could duplicate what Utah did while in the MWC - namely, become one of the better non-BCS programs.


If they paint the field Blue. But seriously, the promotion of U and TCU created a vacuum in the Cinderella business. Someone will rise to fill it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Could you imagine 10 years from now if Utah is still a bottom dweller in the PAC12 and the Aggies are annual challengers for the MWC title!
C
Cougarfan87
SpiffCoug wrote:
Could you imagine 10 years from now if Utah is still a bottom dweller in the PAC12 and the Aggies are annual challengers for the MWC title!


As long as we're beating both of them, that would be sweet indeed.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib wrote:
We are not on a 1-2 streak w/ Utah St. We're on a 12-1 streak and 22-2 streak.


Spiff. Actually, we are on a 2-1 streak that was perilously close to being 0-3, as well as those longer streaks you mentioned where we dominated.



Times are changing while BYU has stood still in recent years.



Utah was a nobody. Utah became a peer. Utah joined PAC 12.

BSU was in a lower division. Graduated. Became a peer. Became a national darling.

TCU was a nobody. Became a peer. Joined Big 12.

USU was near extinction. Had a run. Joined MWC. I do not want to see USU become a peer. They just muscled us on scheduling.



It seems like you do not want to see it either.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Your perspective is interesting... TCU was a "Somebody" long before we were...
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
We are not on a 1-2 streak w/ Utah St. We're on a 12-1 streak and 22-2 streak.


Spiff. Actually, we are on a 2-1 streak that was perilously close to being 0-3, as well as those longer streaks you mentioned where we dominated.



Times are changing while BYU has stood still in recent years.



Utah was a nobody. Utah became a peer. Utah joined PAC 12.

BSU was in a lower division. Graduated. Became a peer. Became a national darling.

TCU was a nobody. Became a peer. Joined Big 12.

USU was near extinction. Had a run. Joined MWC. I do not want to see USU become a peer. They just muscled us on scheduling.



It seems like you do not want to see it either.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Your perspective is interesting... TCU was a "Somebody" long before we were...


And then got booted from the SWC when Big 12 was created and became a nobody for decades.



From 1972 when BYU started to make some hay until 1997 - 25 years later - TCU had exactly 5 seasons with a winning record. Once they got to 8 wins. That was tops. THey had a ton of 1 or 2 win seasons. That was their nobody period. We all know BYU was a nobody prior to Lavell Edwards.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
We are not on a 1-2 streak w/ Utah St. We're on a 12-1 streak and 22-2 streak.


Spiff. Actually, we are on a 2-1 streak that was perilously close to being 0-3, as well as those longer streaks you mentioned where we dominated.



Times are changing while BYU has stood still in recent years.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No, we're on a 2-0 streak that was close to being a 1-1 streak. But you stated we were on a 1-2 streak. That's what I was correcting.



BYU hasn't lost 2 of 3 to USU since 1976 when the Cougs were coming back from a a four-game losing streak to USU.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
We are not on a 1-2 streak w/ Utah St. We're on a 12-1 streak and 22-2 streak.


Spiff. Actually, we are on a 2-1 streak that was perilously close to being 0-3, as well as those longer streaks you mentioned where we dominated.



Times are changing while BYU has stood still in recent years.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No, we're on a 2-0 streak that was close to being a 1-1 streak. But you stated we were on a 1-2 streak. That's what I was correcting.



BYU hasn't lost 2 of 3 to USU since 1976 when the Cougs were coming back from a a four-game losing streak to USU.


That was a typo. I fixed it.



USU beat us in 2010 at their house. Jake Heaps. Bronco fired everyone.

USU had us hopelessly behind in Provo in 2011 - Riley Nelson bailed out Jake Heaps. Miracle.

HIll eeked out a 6-3 or 7-6 win or something like that in 2012



Times have changed. I hope they change back to BYU dominance.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
We are not on a 1-2 streak w/ Utah St. We're on a 12-1 streak and 22-2 streak.


Spiff. Actually, we are on a 2-1 streak that was perilously close to being 0-3, as well as those longer streaks you mentioned where we dominated.



Times are changing while BYU has stood still in recent years.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

No, we're on a 2-0 streak that was close to being a 1-1 streak. But you stated we were on a 1-2 streak. That's what I was correcting.



BYU hasn't lost 2 of 3 to USU since 1976 when the Cougs were coming back from a a four-game losing streak to USU.


That was a typo. I fixed it.



USU beat us in 2010 at their house. Jake Heaps. Bronco fired everyone.

USU had us hopelessly behind in Provo in 2011 - Riley Nelson - who was bailed out by McKay Jacobson coming back for a deep pass across the middle - bailed out Jake Heaps Miracle.

HIll eeked out a 6-3 or 7-6 win or something like that in 2012



Times have changed. I hope they change back to BYU dominance.

Fixed your post.



I don't know that I agree that we "eeked" out a win last year. USU ran just nine plays in the redzone (1-2 of FGs) They totaled 16 yards on their seven plays from scrimmage inside the red zone.



USU's 2nd half drives ended at their own 9 (fumble), their own 43 (punt), BYU's 30 (interception), own 37 (punt), BYU 20 (missed FG) and own 30 (punt).



It was a close win, but one that was never really in doubt as USU simply couldn't do much offensively. We held USU nearly 32 points below their season average (after taking the BYU game out of the equation), more than 200 yards below their total yards average, more than 155 yards below their rushing average and nearly 65 points below their PER average.



Of course, BYU never got close to really scoring again either - but with the lead, they didn't have to.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.