Archived Topic

Collinsworth on BYU return Dnews

by Qman · 7/23/2013

Advertisement
Q
Qman
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56632641-88/collinsworth-byu-basketball-ball.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



A couple of excerpts. We refers to Carlino and himself.



Collinsworth thinks so, too.

"We played yesterday on the same team in pickup, and we won four straight games. No problem," he said. "We found each other open, used each other off the pick-and-roll, spotted up for each other, and we won four straight. So I don’t think we will have a problem. We are both players, and we are going to run, and we are going to get a lot of baskets."



Collinsworth said they traded off "every other play" playing point guard, "and we just played basketball."





"I got to get [shooting] reps every day," Collinsworth said. "That is something I have been focusing on. I want to see results fast. ... I have proven that at any level I can get to the hoop and finish on anybody. So I am just trying to get a consistent [outside] shot. So far, so good."
S
snoscythe
Qman wrote:
I have proven that at any level I can get to the hoop and finish on anybody.


If he would have omitted the last two words, I would be in agreement, but I seem to remember him having issues with that aspect at the D-I level...
S
SpiffCoug
Kyle Collinsworth as a freshman shot .481 from the floor. He shot .259 from behind the arc and .526 from inside the arc.
S
scott715
So you are saying mid range game.
B
BYULV
I'll be happy if he improves his free throw shooting.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Collinsworth's mouth has a habit of writing checks his skill level can't cash.



I sincerely hope he doesn't play PG.



Outside shot...pshhh



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
nuk13
He will add to the team if he's willing to play where needed rather than where he thinks he should be.
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Kyle Collinsworth as a freshman shot .481 from the floor. He shot .259 from behind the arc and .526 from inside the arc.


How many shanked dunks and layup attempts did we witness from him his freshman run?
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
Kyle Collinsworth as a freshman shot .481 from the floor. He shot .259 from behind the arc and .526 from inside the arc.


How many shanked dunks and layup attempts did we witness from him his freshman run?

I don't have those stats, but the .526 is a decent shooting percentage. The only players who shot better inside the arc last yere were:



Davies .527

Sharp .582

Kaufusi .600
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Kyle Collinsworth as a freshman shot .481 from the floor. He shot .259 from behind the arc and .526 from inside the arc.


How many shanked dunks and layup attempts did we witness from him his freshman run?

I don't have those stats, but the .526 is a decent shooting percentage. The only players who shot better inside the arc last yere were:



Davies .527

Sharp .582

Kaufusi .600


Sharp is a better player than Collinsworth. Less attitude too and Sharp shoots better from the line.



Collinsworth did seem to shank a lot of layups and dunks. And then if he got fouled he'd proceed to miss his gimmies.



I know Rose has a man-crush on Collinsworth, but I hope it isn't too strong to the point where more talented players waste away on the bench.



Carlino needs to be playing point 30+ min a game for this offense to work.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars


There was really no point last year where Sharp looked like the clear-cut starter. He was always either #1 or #2 at his position, just good enough to get up hopes but not great enough to stand-out in many games.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:


There was really no point last year where Sharp looked like the clear-cut starter. He was always either #1 or #2 at his position, just good enough to get up hopes but not great enough to stand-out in many games.


Same with KC.



Only reason he stood out was because he was a freshman.



Sharp > Pre mission KC > Post mission KC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
Gunk wrote:


There was really no point last year where Sharp looked like the clear-cut starter. He was always either #1 or #2 at his position, just good enough to get up hopes but not great enough to stand-out in many games.


Same with KC.



Only reason he stood out was because he was a freshman.



Sharp > Pre mission KC > Post mission KC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


We should probably let the guy play a bit this year before we count him out. Not sure where the collinsworth negativity is coming from.
B
BYULV
Just watched KC's freshman highlights. He will give our team a different look that I think really benefits our team. I like his size and ability to get to the rim.
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Just watched KC's freshman highlights. He will give our team a different look that I think really benefits our team. I like his size and ability to get to the rim.


Agree. He was a freshman. True Frosh iirc. His FT shooting does need to improve. His outside shooting as well. IDK why some fans are down on him already. He earned significant PT as a freshman on a good team.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Gunk wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Kyle Collinsworth as a freshman shot .481 from the floor. He shot .259 from behind the arc and .526 from inside the arc.


How many shanked dunks and layup attempts did we witness from him his freshman run?

I don't have those stats, but the .526 is a decent shooting percentage. The only players who shot better inside the arc last yere were:



Davies .527

Sharp .582

Kaufusi .600


Sharp is a better player than Collinsworth. Less attitude too and Sharp shoots better from the line.



Collinsworth did seem to shank a lot of layups and dunks. And then if he got fouled he'd proceed to miss his gimmies.



I know Rose has a man-crush on Collinsworth, but I hope it isn't too strong to the point where more talented players waste away on the bench.



Carlino needs to be playing point 30+ min a game for this offense to work.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Sharp isn't in the same zip code as KC. Kyle was darn near offered by Kansas... He's tall, strong, fearless and can make plays. He has a lot of warts too (outside shooting and small ball defense) but he will be a star by the time he's a senior (provided he stays healthy).



Sharp....Remember that if had we started last season with a healthy Chris Collinsworth (we never really saw a healthy Chris as an upper classman) we would have been an NCAA tourney team. The alternative was Josh Sharp and while Josh is a decent 6 or 7 man, he is 20 lbs short of being able to consistently play the 4. Small guys can play the 4 but they have to bring some beef. (Charles Barkley, Draymond Green, Leon Powe, Jason Maxiell, DeJuan Blair and some PFs that were awesome in college that played football instead, Tony Gonzalez, Julius Peppers, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham)... Sharp is athletic and aggressive enough that if he puts on serious muscle over the next 2 seasons, he will be a serious contributor to a winning team, if he doesn't he'll be nothing more than a really really good division 2 forward playing in D1.



Back to KC... He reminds me of Adam Koch formerly of Northern Iowa and I like that very much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8aqq1R3m4



I was at the game that UNI beat Kansas (was right before the BYU - Kstate game) and Koch is the type of glue guy that a team like BYU has to have to win games they're not supposed to... tough, smart, doesn' t have to shoot the lights out but can play and guard multiple positions and can finish. There's a reason Kansas brought KC in for a trip. Kansas had 6 future NBA players on that team and bench and Northern Iowa out smarted and outtoughed them.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsLR6I6gQOo
G
Gunk
craigoscarson wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Kyle Collinsworth as a freshman shot .481 from the floor. He shot .259 from behind the arc and .526 from inside the arc.


How many shanked dunks and layup attempts did we witness from him his freshman run?

I don't have those stats, but the .526 is a decent shooting percentage. The only players who shot better inside the arc last yere were:



Davies .527

Sharp .582

Kaufusi .600


Sharp is a better player than Collinsworth. Less attitude too and Sharp shoots better from the line.



Collinsworth did seem to shank a lot of layups and dunks. And then if he got fouled he'd proceed to miss his gimmies.



I know Rose has a man-crush on Collinsworth, but I hope it isn't too strong to the point where more talented players waste away on the bench.



Carlino needs to be playing point 30+ min a game for this offense to work.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Sharp isn't in the same zip code as KC. Kyle was darn near offered by Kansas... He's tall, strong, fearless and can make plays. He has a lot of warts too (outside shooting and small ball defense) but he will be a star by the time he's a senior (provided he stays healthy).



Sharp....Remember that if had we started last season with a healthy Chris Collinsworth (we never really saw a healthy Chris as an upper classman) we would have been an NCAA tourney team. The alternative was Josh Sharp and while Josh is a decent 6 or 7 man, he is 20 lbs short of being able to consistently play the 4. Small guys can play the 4 but they have to bring some beef. (Charles Barkley, Draymond Green, Leon Powe, Jason Maxiell, DeJuan Blair and some PFs that were awesome in college that played football instead, Tony Gonzalez, Julius Peppers, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham)... Sharp is athletic and aggressive enough that if he puts on serious muscle over the next 2 seasons, he will be a serious contributor to a winning team, if he doesn't he'll be nothing more than a really really good division 2 forward playing in D1.


KC three years from now will be a different story from KC now or KC as a freshman. I'm not refuting the potential of his talent. Right now, though, it's still potential.



I highly doubt KC got better at shooting, defending, and finishing at the rim while on his mission. He's got the summer to get back in ball shape, but a Haws-like return is the exception not the norm when it comes to RMs. To assume KC will be a better ball player this next season than he was as a freshman is a stretch. Most likely, he'll be as good as he was before leaving.



In which case, Sharp is just as good if not better. If I recall correctly, the only area freshman KC beat out Sharp was a slight lead in rebounding and assists.



Sharp gets some heat for being a "D2 player," but that's part of my point when it comes to KC. The guy labeled by some as a "D2 player" is currently as good if not better than the player being heralded as the guy that's going to help lead the charge back to the NCAA tourney.



I think a lot of it has to do with fans being enamored by KC's potential. Yes, KC played well as a freshman on a team full of veterans. No one had any expectations for KC, so any positive was magnified and any negative dismissed. If Sharp had been a freshman last season and he had the kind of season he did, we'd all be drooling over Sharp and demanding Sharp get more playing time.
B
Brayden Green
If KC plays the point over Carlino it will be a travesty. KC's ball handling was very suspect at the D1 level. Carlino did a really good job at the point last year. But I would like to see Carlino at the 2 guard spot from time to time, to get him used to when Calvert gets back off a mission. I think the backcourt of Calvert and Carlino was magical. So much energy, and stifling defense which lead to easy points in transition.



Rose's biggest mistake last year was leaning on Cusick, and shorting Calvert minutes. If we had Calvert and Carlino playing on the court together for most of the season, we make the NCAA tourney for the 8th year straight. With a consistent big in Mika, that will be a scary group to watch (assuming MIka is still at BYU, which he may not be after 2 seasons.)
M
mizzoucoug
Gunk wrote:


There was really no point last year where Sharp looked like the clear-cut starter. He was always either #1 or #2 at his position, just good enough to get up hopes but not great enough to stand-out in many games.


Same with KC.



Only reason he stood out was because he was a freshman.



Sharp > Pre mission KC > Post mission KC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


No, no, no. KC is a rebounding animal and is a legit slasher which is something nobody else on the team can do. Not even Haws consistently. KC is 100x more valuable than Sharp is and there's not even a question. Re-watch his freshman year again. I can't stand the fact that the kid has no outside shot at all, but he does have athletic ability and rebounded better than Davies did.



KC > Sharp
M
mizzoucoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
If KC plays the point over Carlino it will be a travesty. KC's ball handling was very suspect at the D1 level. Carlino did a really good job at the point last year. But I would like to see Carlino at the 2 guard spot from time to time, to get him used to when Calvert gets back off a mission. I think the backcourt of Calvert and Carlino was magical. So much energy, and stifling defense which lead to easy points in transition.



Rose's biggest mistake last year was leaning on Cusick, and shorting Calvert minutes. If we had Calvert and Carlino playing on the court together for most of the season, we make the NCAA tourney for the 8th year straight. With a consistent big in Mika, that will be a scary group to watch (assuming MIka is still at BYU, which he may not be after 2 seasons.)


Amen. I said this all season. Culvert is aggressive and played like Jimmer his freshman year--no fear. Cusick was a safe player but couldn't really do anything unless he was wide open. Let the potential play I say.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.