Archived Topic

Cody Hoffman Quote About QBs

by byucougar1 · 7/16/2013

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26027534&nid=272&s_cid=rss-extlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Find it very interesting as to whom he might be referring to after the comment about his trust in T. Hill. His comment helps to explain some of the dysfunctional QB play that we observed in the past.



"Someone you know is smart. You know he will make the right read and he'll discipline himself if he doesn't. (Hill)



In the past, I've played with quarterbacks that would try to blame everybody else for their mistakes and that gets frustrating, and that has been the cause of divides on the team." (???)
S
snoscythe
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1316659486349_7856472.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Funny how so many on Cc were so quick to point out Heaps' blaming and excuses and so quick to point out Nelson's superior "leadership". You know who you are.
S
snoscythe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Funny how so many on Cc were so quick to point out Heaps' blaming and excuses and so quick to point out Nelson's superior "leadership". You know who you are.


Funny how you're quick to assume he's talking about RN and not JH....
C
Cougs_Rule
Funny how you are concluding incorrectly.

I was suggesting that kvn was referring to both.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Probably should ask Hoffman for clarification - could be both QBs :-)
G
Gunk
Cody was more than likely referring to both QBs. Cody said, "... I've played with quarterbacks..." If it was one QB that Cody was thinking about he would have said, "...I've played with a quarterback..."



Riley got on his guys. We often saw Riley yelling at the team. That was Riley's "leadership" style. Heaps pouted on the sidelines and then blamed his teammates during press conferences.
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
Cody was more than likely referring to both QBs. Cody said, "... I've played with quarterbacks..." If it was one QB that Cody was thinking about he would have said, "...I've played with a quarterback..."



Riley got on his guys. We often saw Riley yelling at the team. That was Riley's "leadership" style. Heaps pouted on the sidelines and then blamed his teammates during press conferences.

Agreed. I think he was talking about the two QBs who started 35 of his 39 games.
B
byucougar1
Based upon Hoffman's comments, seems like team divisiveness has disappeared, that team is solidly behind T. Hill (his leadership style, intellectual and physical capabilities, and support from coaches). Should result in a better O product that they place on the field this year. Feels like a winner.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Cody was more than likely referring to both QBs. Cody said, "... I've played with quarterbacks..." If it was one QB that Cody was thinking about he would have said, "...I've played with a quarterback..."



Riley got on his guys. We often saw Riley yelling at the team. That was Riley's "leadership" style. Heaps pouted on the sidelines and then blamed his teammates during press conferences.

Agreed. I think he was talking about the two QBs who started 35 of his 39 games.


I think you're reading way to much into his use of the plural as opposed to the singular. The use of a vague plural is a good way to diffuse criticism and take some of the edge off of what you're saying. It's like when I tell my son "We need to work on spitting in the grass and not on cars."
Advertisement
C
Cougy_Monster
snoscythe wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Cody was more than likely referring to both QBs. Cody said, "... I've played with quarterbacks..." If it was one QB that Cody was thinking about he would have said, "...I've played with a quarterback..."



Riley got on his guys. We often saw Riley yelling at the team. That was Riley's "leadership" style. Heaps pouted on the sidelines and then blamed his teammates during press conferences.

Agreed. I think he was talking about the two QBs who started 35 of his 39 games.


I think you're reading way to much into his use of the plural as opposed to the singular. The use of a vague plural is a good way to diffuse criticism and take some of the edge off of what you're saying. It's like when I tell my son "We need to work on spitting in the grass and not on cars."


When in reality you are the only one with such undisciplined expectoration. :lol:





We (as in you guys ;) ) could argue all day and night about the object of Hoffman's comments. But I for one am just happy happy happy that he spoke in the past tense about that crap and even happier happier happier that he is excited about the present and the future!!



Don't let the past hold tomorrow hostage!
S
SpiffCoug
snoscythe wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Cody was more than likely referring to both QBs. Cody said, "... I've played with quarterbacks..." If it was one QB that Cody was thinking about he would have said, "...I've played with a quarterback..."



Riley got on his guys. We often saw Riley yelling at the team. That was Riley's "leadership" style. Heaps pouted on the sidelines and then blamed his teammates during press conferences.

Agreed. I think he was talking about the two QBs who started 35 of his 39 games.


I think you're reading way to much into his use of the plural as opposed to the singular. The use of a vague plural is a good way to diffuse criticism and take some of the edge off of what you're saying. It's like when I tell my son "We need to work on spitting in the grass and not on cars."

Possibly, but the fact remains that Cody has had very poor QBs throwing to him for three seasons. Maybe he's finally got a good one to magnify his skills.



Remember we're talking about QB play that has met the BYU PER standard just 14 times in those 39 games.
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
Cody was more than likely referring to both QBs. Cody said, "... I've played with quarterbacks..." If it was one QB that Cody was thinking about he would have said, "...I've played with a quarterback..."



Riley got on his guys. We often saw Riley yelling at the team. That was Riley's "leadership" style. Heaps pouted on the sidelines and then blamed his teammates during press conferences.


Often times Heaps would actually say it was his fault. Your memory seems a bit short on this. Maybe he pouted and maybe he blamed behind the scenes. But he actually handled himself quite well in interviews, mostly.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Cody was more than likely referring to both QBs. Cody said, "... I've played with quarterbacks..." If it was one QB that Cody was thinking about he would have said, "...I've played with a quarterback..."



Riley got on his guys. We often saw Riley yelling at the team. That was Riley's "leadership" style. Heaps pouted on the sidelines and then blamed his teammates during press conferences.

Agreed. I think he was talking about the two QBs who started 35 of his 39 games.


I think you're reading way to much into his use of the plural as opposed to the singular. The use of a vague plural is a good way to diffuse criticism and take some of the edge off of what you're saying. It's like when I tell my son "We need to work on spitting in the grass and not on cars."

Possibly, but the fact remains that Cody has had very poor QBs throwing to him for three seasons. Maybe he's finally got a good one to magnify his skills.



Remember we're talking about QB play that has met the BYU PER standard just 14 times in those 39 games.


But What is interesting, if you follow your logic/facts/stats (and I agree with it) is that notwithstanding poor qb play, CH is on the verge of breaking ALOT of Receiving records. I guess, probably bc he has been the best and in smarmy cases only option of a play maker and therefore heavily relied upon.
D
Ddawg
Spitting on cars? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Advertisement
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
Cody was more than It's like when I tell my son "We need to work on spitting in the grass and not on cars.


You spit on cars? Props to your son for knowing better.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
I think he was talking about one quarterback, either riley or heaps. don't know which. i would lean riley though???
S
snoscythe
jonnylingo wrote:
I think he was talking about one quarterback, either riley or heaps. don't know which. i would lean riley though???


It could have been one or more of his 3 high school quarterbacks. I don't know how many quarterbacks he played with in junior high, peewee, etc. though....
S
snoscythe
Ddawg wrote:
Spitting on cars? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


We also don't brain random old ladies with rocks at the rodeo when we're bored and there happen to be rocks at our feet.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
But What is interesting, if you follow your logic/facts/stats (and I agree with it) is that notwithstanding poor qb play, CH is on the verge of breaking ALOT of Receiving records. I guess, probably bc he has been the best and in smarmy cases only option of a play maker and therefore heavily relied upon.

Yep, Hoffman made plays. He's caught 62.7% of the passes that have come his way the last three years (including 65.4% last year). Which actually really when you consider the last three years BYU's QBs are at 57.8% (and 59.7% last year).



Did Hoffman get bad throws? Yep. Did he have a poor scheme? Yep. But he made plays. He was able to make his QBs look better than they probably were too.
Page 1 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.