Archived Topic

Bronco's Contract Extended Through 2016

by snoscythe · 6/26/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Shoot for the stars I guess. But 3 is a good sign. bronco won't commit beyond what he, in his integrity, can feasibly complete. The more entrenched he becomes, the better. It's smart actually, he said he wouldn't stay as long as LaVell, and at some level committing incrementally helps him avoid the comparisons.

But I honestly can't imagine him wanting to coach anywhere else. It also keeps BYU honest in its need to upgrade pay commensurate with performance, be that good or poor.
S
SpiffCoug
I don't like 3 years. That's less than half as long as a recruit can be in the program (seven years, with a mission and RS).



But I'm glad we've got him locked up for a while longer. And to be honest, Bronco can likely sign as many 3-year extensions as he wants - as long as he wins fairly regularly (bowl games each year) and keeps the program clean.
S
snoscythe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
he said he wouldn't stay as long as LaVell, and at some level committing incrementally helps him avoid the comparisons.


You do realize that until the last few years, Lavell was always year-to-year, right? Until Rondo Fehlberg and Nike got him to sign in the late-90s, Lavell never even had a 3 year contract.
C
Cougs_Rule
snoscythe wrote:
he said he wouldn't stay as long as LaVell, and at some level committing incrementally helps him avoid the comparisons.


You do realize that until the last few years, Lavell was always year-to-year, right? Until Rondo Fehlberg and Nike got him to sign in the late-90s, Lavell never even had a 3 year contract.


Yes. But, different age and time and man--LE's legacy was already in place. I like the 3 year balance of meeting everyone's needs without having either tied up.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I would prefer 5 year contracts for Bronco.
C
Cougs_Rule
Bronco's (especially this one) bucks against chains and ropes. And bc he keeps his word he is going to take it in moderate chunks and not overcommit.

I will take a moderate amount of security over the risk of trapping him for a longer period than hes comfortable with. This Increases the likelihood for anther 3 years following vs the perceived security of 5.
J
jvquarterback
3 years or 5 I'm glad BM will still be the coach.
S
Screamineagle
I am a big fan of Bronco He is not perfect and makes some mistakes but he is a perfect fit for BYU. I think he is a great coach and a better man. We are fortunate to have him go Cougs its going to be fun.
C
Cougarbib
Sweet. Me thinks Bronco will want to stick around and play USC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Y
Y12
I like that it took some time to finalize this deal. That says to me that Holmoe didn't just give Bronco a free pass because of w/l record and how well he reps the church, but there was some real negotiating on the salary since he could have done better and the last three years were not as good as the previous three.
C
Cougarbib
Rest assurred. He got a raise.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.