Archived Topic

What the Conferences Should Really Look Like

by byufan4ever · 6/23/2013

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
My post in the other thread about us not being able to survive in the SEC was totally TIC, but it got me thinking about where would we really fit competition wise? So, I took the ratings from Massey Ratings (http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&sub=FBS) and divided teams into West/East conferences using the Mississippi River as the dividing line. 12 teams to a conference. Everybody plays each other once plus 1 OOC for that rivalry game. In the Premier Division top west team will face off vs top east team for championship. No need for stupid BCS or even playoffs. SOS has essentially been the same. And then we do promotion/relegation a la every soccer league in the world except MLS. Top 3 get promoted up and bottom 3 get relegated down. This helps ensure teams are consistently in the division that they belong in. Here's what it would look like for this upcoming season:



http://uploadpic.org/storage/2011/iCb5kFxvGH6gPIB8Gz8Do6CeN.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://uploadpic.org/storage/2011/9ey8j7krlB4CUZfxajXTxlrw.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

http://uploadpic.org/storage/2011/OZfCMaKtLF6QLQNERsL1IwV.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



This would obviously NEVER happen. But, isn't it a GREAT idea?? Where would BYU finish in this conference? Could we avoid relegation?
B
BerliNY
I've been saying for years that promotion/relegation would be absolutely HUGE for american sports. If the leagues weren't so subservient to the owners, this could make the final 20% of the NFL/NBA/CFB/MLB seasons soooo much less dumb (I'm looking at you NFL, where the worst team in the league gets the best draft pick ... shameful).
C
Cougarfan87
That premier division would be sick. Almost as fun watching the championship of the premier division would be to see what three teams were dropping down and what three were moving up. BTW, do you mean three (as in three East, three West), or three total from the division. If it were three total, then I would assume you would take the champ of the lower division game plus the next in line and the team the champ played.



And how often do you promote, relegate? I'm thinking every year works for me. The only problem with the system is that you are being judged on last years results, for better or worse. But then again, aren't teams always judged on things like their previous history when they do the stupid preseason top 25?



This would really spice up the college football world, and every game would still count.
S
SpiffCoug
In England, the bottom three are dropped to the next lower league. The top two in the lower league get an auto-promotion and then teams 3-6 are in a playoff for the final promotion spot.
B
byufan4ever
Honestly, I think that we'd get relegated out of that Premier Division real fast. I think we'd win 2 maybe 3 games. However, I believe we'd fit in pretty well in the Champions Division. I could see us finishing in the top 3/4.



My idea with the relegation is 3 teams each from West/East so 6 total. My initial thought is that promotion/relegation should happen every year, but I can also see the benefits of doing it every 3 or 5 years (and it would be your total record over that time period). You get a team that has one good year (like Hawaii) with a lot of seniors and do they really belong in the next division up? But it would definitely be exciting to see every year who gets promoted/relegated. Would make the end of the season meaningful for everyone.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.