Archived Topic

The mind of an internet troll

by hawkwing · 6/17/2013

Advertisement
G
Guest
I saw this fascinating article on the mental makeup of an internet troll. We've had a few here over the years, but luckily none too bad. But I found it quite interesting to get inside the mind of a troll addict.



http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/15/diary-of-a-5000-hours-per-year-internet-troll/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



One interesting quote (out of many more):
Yes, I felt like it was a waste of time but I was compelled to do it. That’s why I had to eventually got myself banned from the message board. There should be a rehab for this sort of thing. Just think of all the trolls who can’t force themselves to stop. It is probably ruining their lives because getting back at these people who wronged you on the message board is all you can think about. It’s incredibly draining emotionally and at the same time takes top priority in your life.

Yes, I got really angry – but you try hard not to let that show. I guess I need to emphasize this point – you have to put forth the image that nothing affects you and you think it’s funny how your victims can’t control their emotions. Meanwhile, you are a simmering volcano.

It was slightly infuriating when someone didn’t respond but I knew my targets pretty well and was pretty confident they would respond. In fact, that’s how they became targets in the first place – because they were so reliable.
S
scott715
Can you sticky this one for ever. I think we will need to come back to it in the future.
J
jvquarterback
“Oh wow. You responding just made my day.


Oh the irony. Even if it was in another thread.
G
Guest
scott715 wrote:
Can you sticky this one for ever. I think we will need to come back to it in the future.


You were right, this one has relevance again.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.