Archived Topic

Kaipo McGuire gets rocked just before we win the Cotton Bowl

by Stirfry · 6/12/2013

Advertisement
S
Stirfry
Couldn't help but looking up the Kaipo McQuire hit when I saw his name on the side bar of CC. Austin Collie has nothing on Kaipo McQuire as far as "where am I" looks go.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQHAYAfNBw



I still remember this being on the George Michaels Sports Machine back on the WB network as the hit of the bowl season or something.
S
Stirfry
So I'm clearly bored. Check out Coach Tujague at the 5:35 mark of this video. I didn't remember he played for us but I couldn't miss that jaw line anywhere.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59YSYAENqkY
N
nuk13
Just watched it, then watched the Miami win and the Miricle Bowl. There are a lot of great games and great players in BYU's history!



Ditmer looked like he had greese all over his body. They could not tackle him. I think Jonny Mac had as much confidence as any qb in history. They may have been the stars but the games were team wins.



Here's hoping we have something like that this year.
C
Cougarbib
nuk13 wrote:
Just watched it, then watched the Miami win and the Miricle Bowl. There are a lot of great games and great players in BYU's history!



Ditmer looked like he had greese all over his body. They could not tackle him. I think Jonny Mac had as much confidence as any qb in history. They may have been the stars but the games were team wins.



Here's hoping we have something like that this year.


Jimmy MAC was pretty confident, too.
W
Wickchad
Stirfry wrote:
Couldn't help but looking up the Kaipo McQuire hit when I saw his name on the side bar of CC. Austin Collie has nothing on Kaipo McQuire as far as "where am I" looks go.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQHAYAfNBw



I still remember this being on the George Michaels Sports Machine back on the WB network as the hit of the bowl season or something.


In the Cougar Tails book it says that what you can see Kaipo saying to the trainers as he is being helped off the field is he is arguing that he didn't drop the ball. He didn't believe the trainers when they said that he didn't hold on to it. The book also says that Kaipo was so messed up by that hit that he ended up in the Kansas State locker room after the game. The K State trainers had to walk him over to the BYU locker room.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I love that game. My favorite part is the back to back horrible non-calls by the refs when K.O. got manhandled.
Y
Yndian
Stirfry wrote:
Couldn't help but looking up the Kaipo McQuire hit when I saw his name on the side bar of CC. Austin Collie has nothing on Kaipo McQuire as far as "where am I" looks go.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQHAYAfNBw



I still remember this being on the George Michaels Sports Machine back on the WB network as the hit of the bowl season or something.


Pardon my blasphemy, but I thought it was interesting re-watching that video how often Ty's play-making style reminded me of Riley Nelson.



If only Riley had the ARM that Ty had...
B
BYULV
Yndian wrote:
Couldn't help but looking up the Kaipo McQuire hit when I saw his name on the side bar of CC. Austin Collie has nothing on Kaipo McQuire as far as "where am I" looks go.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQHAYAfNBw



I still remember this being on the George Michaels Sports Machine back on the WB network as the hit of the bowl season or something.


Pardon my blasphemy, but I thought it was interesting re-watching that video how often Ty's play-making style reminded me of Riley Nelson.



If only Riley had the ARM that Ty had...


Ty Detmer's arm was pretty mediocre. He used to joke that he would throw a wounded duck so the ball would be softer for the receivers to catch. The big difference was that he was so good at knowing where everyone on both sides of the ball were supposed to be that he got away with throwing a weaker pass. . . Timing.
H
HoosierCougar
BYULV wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
Couldn't help but looking up the Kaipo McQuire hit when I saw his name on the side bar of CC. Austin Collie has nothing on Kaipo McQuire as far as "where am I" looks go.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQHAYAfNBw



I still remember this being on the George Michaels Sports Machine back on the WB network as the hit of the bowl season or something.


Pardon my blasphemy, but I thought it was interesting re-watching that video how often Ty's play-making style reminded me of Riley Nelson.



If only Riley had the ARM that Ty had...


Ty Detmer's arm was pretty mediocre. He used to joke that he would throw a wounded duck so the ball would be softer for the receivers to catch. The big difference was that he was so good at knowing where everyone on both sides of the ball were supposed to be that he got away with throwing a weaker pass. . . Timing.


He also used his mobility to keep pass plays alive. That was a Ty Detmer hallmark.
Y
Y12
Kaipo wouldn't have played the 1996 season if concussions were as big of an issue back then as they are now.



He was rocked in the TAM game to open the season. I would expect him to have missed the rest of the year like other players have (Steven Thomas) in recent seasons.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.