Archived Topic

Would you be happy with Massey's predictions?

by CrimsonCoug · 6/11/2013

Advertisement
S
scott715
Sure would. Win the bowl game and get a 10 win season again with a tough schedule. We would be ranked or close to it.
S
SpiffCoug
Considering I'd be happy with 8 wins, I'd take 9 in a heartbeat.
S
Schmoe
I'd take 9, but would have a really hard time swallowing a loss to USU (which won't happen).
N
nuk13
9 with a win over Utah would put a smile on me.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
I picked "NO", mostly because I couldn't stomach another loss to the dairy yewts. Also, I think that 10-win seasons should be the standard. This schedule looks harder on paper than it is likely to acutally be - not that it won't be difficult, but that it won't be as monstrous as it looks. ND and WU are tough games, but both winnable as both teams are down. UT is down. Yewts are down. BSU should be about the same, and we should have won the game last year even with no offense. I'm looking at a 10-2 regular season, 11-2 after the bowl. And hoping for more.
M
mizzoucoug
No, but only because I'm tired of being disappointed with the last 3 years. I don't like the loss to USU and I honestly won't see the season as progress unless we take down ND or Wisconsin on the road. How many more years of excuses about winning the big games (especially on the road) are we willing to endure? I want some freaking scalps!
C
CrimsonCoug
I wouldn't be ecstatic, but I'd take it. If the gods of college football require a loss against the Aggies (though I don't think it will happen) to get a win and 2-years of bragging rights against the Utes and being able to call them chicken, so be it.



And 1 win against the toughest three of ND, Wisconsin and Texas isn't great, but considering the waste of opportunities of the last 2-3 seasons, plus our first win against the spuddies, I'd have to consider that a successful season.
C
Cougarbib
Color me Pink. Tickled Pink. Bowl Win. 10 Wins. Ranked for sure.



6 Wins over

Texas

Donkeys

Utes

Virginia

GA Tech

PAC in Bowl Game



Very satisfying.



Nevada, Houston, Middle Tenn State, Idaho State - only ISU is a gimme.



I do not like losing to USU at all, but a 3 loss season will exceed my expectations.
B
byucougar1
Don't agree with Massey's predicitions nor am I happy with them.



Presently, the only losses that I would not be too upset about would be the road games against ND and WI (difficult venues to play in).



However, if our defense is as good as last year, and our offense is measurably improved, we have a good chance to win those games as well. ND and WI do not have great passing attacks so stuffing the run will be imperative.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
Y 4 Ever wrote:
This schedule looks harder on paper than it is likely to acutally be - not that it won't be difficult, but that it won't be as monstrous as it looks. ND and WU are tough games, but both winnable as both teams are down. UT is down. Yewts are down. BSU should be about the same, and we should have won the game last year even with no offense. I'm looking at a 10-2 regular season, 11-2 after the bowl. And hoping for more.


I actually think this season is easier on paper than it actually will be. On paper, every game is winnable. They won't be.



The paper has ND, Texas, Wisconsin, and Boise State as top-25 teams. But none or expected to be top-10. I think there is a chance that Texas, Wisconsin, Boise State, and Notre Dame ALL finish in the top-10.



On paper, Georgia Tech and Virginia are mediocre ACC teams. But, I really think both can contend with Virginia Tech for the ACC Coastal Division.



On paper, the Ewetes aren't "that good". But, over last two mediocre years, they still have beaten UCLA, Arizona, and Colorado. If the Ewetes steal one from USC or Arizona State, they could win the PAC 12 South.
M
mizzoucoug
YNot wrote:
This schedule looks harder on paper than it is likely to acutally be - not that it won't be difficult, but that it won't be as monstrous as it looks. ND and WU are tough games, but both winnable as both teams are down. UT is down. Yewts are down. BSU should be about the same, and we should have won the game last year even with no offense. I'm looking at a 10-2 regular season, 11-2 after the bowl. And hoping for more.


I actually think this season is easier on paper than it actually will be. On paper, every game is winnable. They won't be.



The paper has ND, Texas, Wisconsin, and Boise State as top-25 teams. But none or expected to be top-10. I think there is a chance that Texas, Wisconsin, Boise State, and Notre Dame ALL finish in the top-10.



On paper, Georgia Tech and Virginia are mediocre ACC teams. But, I really think both can contend with Virginia Tech for the ACC Coastal Division.



On paper, the Ewetes aren't "that good". But, over last two mediocre years, they still have beaten UCLA, Arizona, and Colorado. If the Ewetes steal one from USC or Arizona State, they could win the PAC 12 South.


That's the thing about prognostications--you really have no idea what kinds of upgrades each team has made in the offseason. Most guesses seem to be based off how many "returning starters" a team is going to employ. Well if those that left sucked then it's possible the replacement are going to make the team better. We do this every year with our players too in hopes we actually finally do get better. But the simple fact is that we don't know how good GT's new QB is going to be or if USU's new coach gets them more motivated to beat us than in past years. I'm hoping everyone we play is a little worse than expected but we just need to freaking win.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.