Archived Topic

Big 12 fan board latest discussion on BYU

by scott715 · 6/11/2013

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
It was an interesting read. And it added a little spice and variety to the Corner here. Off season can be a drag when there just isn't much meat to the topics being posted. Even the fights between some of the posters seem to lack fire and passion.
C
Cougarfan87
Wow, there are some ignorant people out there. I was interested to learn that our religion discourages us from watching TV, so that is probably what hurts the TV ratings. Seriously? Where do they get this stuff?
B
BYUOregonfan
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Wow, there are some ignorant people out there. I was interested to learn that our religion discourages us from watching TV, so that is probably what hurts the TV ratings. Seriously? Where do they get this stuff?


Yep, we inked ESPN deals, have BYUTV, etc., but yet we're still not allowed to watch tv,



:roll:
S
Stirfry
There's a lot of "interesting" post on there and other then a few obvious haters (the guy with the scary ears) most seem ok with the idea.



This is one of my favorite post:



RE: BYU Ad hints at Big 12



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I have some family members who are BYU alums/boosters. NO, I'm not implying that I have any "inside" information, I'm just sharing what the rumor mill among BYU fans (of which I'm NOT one) has been saying.



It is considered common knowledge around there that BYU and the LDS church have been "putting the full-court press" on the Big 12 for some time now, trying to get an invitation to join. The feeling among the folks in Provo is that they've burned their bridge with the new American conference, not that they really wanted to join anyway. In their minds, rejoining the MWC in football would be a big step backward and isn't being considered. The PAC 12 has repeatedly told BYU "don't call us, we won't call you" for a variety of reasons. The "Brethren" (LDS Church leadership) are worried that BYU will be on the outside looking in once the new Playoff/Bowl system goes into effect, unless BYU can get into a Power 5 conference. BYU leadership understand that, as things stand now, the Big 12 is their ONLY shot.
Advertisement
S
scott715
I question how accurate that is. I don't think they feel it is that important to join their conference. I feel we are doing well now building our brand and getting a lot of tv exposure. We just now need to win some big games and then see what our ratings do.



Another question whether we had good tv ratings. I wonder what we would draw on a big game.
S
Stirfry
scott715 wrote:
I question how accurate that is. I don't think they feel it is that important to join their conference. I feel we are doing well now building our brand and getting a lot of tv exposure. We just now need to win some big games and then see what our ratings do.



Another question whether we had good tv ratings. I wonder what we would draw on a big game.


You question it? It's considered "common knowledge" :skeptic: It make me wonder what CC looks like to outsiders at times.



They get in to a big discussion about TV ratings later on around page 4. I didn't look at it really close but there's a Baylor guy I think arguing for us while a WVU is against us or something. The WVU guy has a lot of numbers showing we're not that great. It seems like there was an article a few weeks back about how we were one of ESPN's top performers for the time slots they gave us.
S
scott715
The argument was that we had bad numbers. But then we had less than ideal time slots and opponents. Anyone remember how the OU-BYU game did? I think tickets sales were good.
C
Cougy_Monster
BYUOregonfan wrote:
Wow, there are some ignorant people out there. I was interested to learn that our religion discourages us from watching TV, so that is probably what hurts the TV ratings. Seriously? Where do they get this stuff?


Yep, we inked ESPN deals, have BYUTV, etc., but yet we're still not allowed to watch tv,



:roll:




This kind of ignorance is laughable....and sad at the same time. I'd get people claiming the same thing on my mission, about mormons not being able to watch TV. I'd politely educate them that the TV was invented by a mormon dude, Philo Farnsworth. They'd all have this incredulous look on their faces like that couldn't possibly be true.



There are so many people that give the human species a bad name. You can come across only so many ignorant people before you decide that the human species is just kind of bumbling its way through existence.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
Cougy_Monster wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Wow, there are some ignorant people out there. I was interested to learn that our religion discourages us from watching TV, so that is probably what hurts the TV ratings. Seriously? Where do they get this stuff?


Yep, we inked ESPN deals, have BYUTV, etc., but yet we're still not allowed to watch tv,



:roll:




This kind of ignorance is laughable....and sad at the same time. I'd get people claiming the same thing on my mission, about mormons not being able to watch TV. I'd politely educate them that the TV was invented by a mormon dude, Philo Farnsworth. They'd all have this incredulous look on their faces like that couldn't possibly be true.







There are so many people that give the human species a bad name. You can come across only so many ignorant people before you decide that the human species is just kind of bumbling its way through existence.


You are right Cougy! I was going to post this until I saw your's. His family moved from somewhere in Utah to Rigby Idaho. I think he was a sophomore when he diagramed his idea on a blackboard to a teacher. He got the idea from looking down the lines formed from a plowed field. I wonder why it never came to me cause I looked down many of those rows.



I can live without the big 12 and people who don't even know about the LDS and tv.
S
SpiffCoug
Philo Farnsworth is buried in Provo cemetary
C
Cougy_Monster
SpiffCoug wrote:
Philo Farnsworth is buried in Provo cemetary


That's right.



Each year on his birthday, August 19th, I go to the Provo Cemetary and gently and reverently place a listing of my favorite shows and best televised sporting events of the previous year on his grave.



It's a tender moment for me.
S
Schmoe
Cougy_Monster wrote:
Philo Farnsworth is buried in Provo cemetary


That's right.



Each year on his birthday, August 19th, I go to the Provo Cemetary and gently and reverently place a listing of my favorite shows and best televised sporting events of the previous year on his grave.



It's a tender moment for me.


Do you seriously do this? I would like to start doing it as well.
M
mizzoucoug
Is it too simplistic to say that if we have a one-loss year or BCS busting year that the door opens much wider to B12 access? I look at TCU as the reasoning for this one. If so, then the solution is pretty simple albeit quite difficult to accomplish.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
I am starting to believe that independence is where we are going to stay, and I am fine with that so long as Holmoe keeps churning out schedules like this year. It is true that BYU is a unique institution and does really fit in any of the football conferences. I think our other sports actually fit quite nicely in the WCC, but I digress.



People mention the increased money to the school as a reason a football team will improve. How is that working out for Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky, or any of the other SEC cellar dwellars, not to mention the other BCS teams we beat year in and year out? It is not like you can pay the players (legally anyway), so I am not sure what receiving $20 Million dollars instead of four or five million really does for a team. Nicer facilities? Yeah, BYU has great facilities, a great academic reputation, and an awesome spiritual/natural environment. Higher paid coaches? Our coach seems to be pretty good, as was the one a couple before that. For never having been part of the BCS trappings, we have seemed to do just fine.



In sum, I guess I am just pretty much over the arrogance of the whole BCS system. If we went undefeated with schedules like this year's, we would be one of the top four teams. Just winning takes care of a lot. If we continue to have great schedules like this, win out, and then don't get in--well, then I think we would have a legitimate beef. But, with the mother ship in essence being our sponsor, I find it highly unlikely that an undefeated BYU with a tough schedule gets left out--at least anymore than any other BCS league would get left out if there were four other undefeated teams.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
Philo Farnsworth is buried in Provo cemetary


He also stands in the us capital building as one of utah's two statues. I used to see if every day at work.
S
scott715
Extra money would help in recruiting (coaches travel and bringing in more kids to visit the Y. Supporting the players (tutors, trainers and the like). More could be spent on marketing/brand promotion. Plus it could lead to better coaches. Many say we can't afford Reid as Head Coach. Maybe money would make a differenance there.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I am starting to believe that independence is where we are going to stay, and I am fine with that so long as Holmoe keeps churning out schedules like this year. It is true that BYU is a unique institution and does really fit in any of the football conferences. I think our other sports actually fit quite nicely in the WCC, but I digress.


Agreed - BYU stays indy for a LONG, LONG time. And I also am fine with it, as long as scheduling remains strong, and conference structures remain status quo. Oh, and if BYU goes undefeated they actually get into the College Football Playoff. Better bowl games would be nice too.
Y
YNot
So, which is the greater goal for BYU football? Having a good schedule? OR making the CFP (and winning a national championship)?



There is actually a strong argument that dumbing down the schedule would actually help BYU's cause to get into the CFP (see 1984). IMO, the 2014 schedule provides a better opportunity for the CFP than the 2013 or 2015 schedules. Despite all the talk about strength of schedule in the selection committee, if BYU is 12-0, they're in the discussion. If BYU is 10-2 or 9-3, they are not.



In 2014, we play"

at Texas (our marquee game)

4 MWC

2 American

2 C-USA

1 ACC



Add another ACC and another American or C-USA. It would be much easier to go undefeated and be in the national discussion in 2014 than 2013.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.