Archived Topic

Is it football season yet?

by BYUOregonfan · 6/4/2013

Advertisement
B
BYUOregonfan
Hey guys,



new here. long time lurker, decided to join.



Here's hoping to a great season, RISE AND SHOUT!



:D
S
Schmoe
Amen, can't come soon enough! (I'm hoping that the NBA Finals goes seven games, then at least I can stave off baseball for a little while longer).
S
scott715
What part of Oregon? I am in Pendleton.
G
Guest
Welcome to the site, my friend. Hope to see a lot of comments from you.
G
golong
I give Bronco credit for being able to make hard decisions. The offense the past two years was just awful, I don't know that Doman is entirely to blame. I think Doman go caught up in a weird, non-performing Jake Heaps, a weird ego in Riley Nelson, who should not have been in half the games he played in, and for some reason an offensive line that played dumb and lazy.



So I have renewed excitement about the offense this year. I hope the OC can deliver, that Hill can become as great a QB as his athletic gifts indicate he can be, and that bizarre calls and decisions disappear this year. The two point call at Boise, the QB running play that ended the USU game, the Riley Nelson playing with a broken back, etc.



I think Jamal Williams is the real deal. I think Taysom Hill is the real deal, and if Anae can fashion a better than average offensive line, then this team can beat some good teams this year.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
scott715 wrote:
What part of Oregon? I am in Pendleton.


We'll be driving right by you on the 3rd and again on the 14th as we take a trip to Portland. I've always loved coming down out of the mountains into Pendleton. Beautiful spot you've got there.
D
Ddawg
Welcome aboard BYU/Oregon. This is a great site - with good, fun, and knowledgeable folks. Drop your anchor and enjoy.
B
BYUOregonfan
scott715 wrote:
What part of Oregon? I am in Pendleton.




Oh, I'm not from Oregon. We just took a family trip there one year and fell in love with it. I am a fan of Oregon University too.
B
BYUOregonfan
hawkwing wrote:
Welcome to the site, my friend. Hope to see a lot of comments from you.


Thanks!
B
BYUOregonfan
Ddawg wrote:
Welcome aboard BYU/Oregon. This is a great site - with good, fun, and knowledgeable folks. Drop your anchor and enjoy.


Thanks, I will!
Advertisement
S
scott715
Sno if you need a rest stop you are welcome to stop by. I think I met you at the spring game a couple of years ago.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
golong wrote:
I give Bronco credit for being able to make hard decisions. The offense the past two years was just awful, I don't know that Doman is entirely to blame. I think Doman go caught up in a weird, non-performing Jake Heaps, a weird ego in Riley Nelson, who should not have been in half the games he played in, and for some reason an offensive line that played dumb and lazy.



So I have renewed excitement about the offense this year. I hope the OC can deliver, that Hill can become as great a QB as his athletic gifts indicate he can be, and that bizarre calls and decisions disappear this year. The two point call at Boise, the QB running play that ended the USU game, the Riley Nelson playing with a broken back, etc.



I think Jamal Williams is the real deal. I think Taysom Hill is the real deal, and if Anae can fashion a better than average offensive line, then this team can beat some good teams this year.


If Taysom Hill had been the real deal last year, he had two open receivers on the 2 point conversion. He didn't see the wide open receiver and misfired to the open receiver.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
golong
yes, because some lame Olineman allowed the defensive guy to be in Hill's pocket before he could even scan the field. Watch the replay, the BYU Olineman never moved, never reacted, but the Boise guy shot the gap straight at Hill and was chasing him down before he even had time to find a receiver. I believe, had the Oline guy even got in the guy's way, Hill would have found the open receiver and completed the pass.
C
Cougarbib
golong wrote:
yes, because some lame Olineman allowed the defensive guy to be in Hill's pocket before he could even scan the field. Watch the replay, the BYU Olineman never moved, never reacted, but the Boise guy shot the gap straight at Hill and was chasing him down before he even had time to find a receiver. I believe, had the Oline guy even got in the guy's way, Hill would have found the open receiver and completed the pass.

Same argument for Heaps and Nelson. Escape. Make a play. BTW the wide open guy was open earlier.
S
stuckinbig10country
Cougarbib wrote:
yes, because some lame Olineman allowed the defensive guy to be in Hill's pocket before he could even scan the field. Watch the replay, the BYU Olineman never moved, never reacted, but the Boise guy shot the gap straight at Hill and was chasing him down before he even had time to find a receiver. I believe, had the Oline guy even got in the guy's way, Hill would have found the open receiver and completed the pass.

Same argument for Heaps and Nelson. Escape. Make a play. BTW the wide open guy was open earlier.


Are you kidding me? The lineman got to the QB at almost the same time the ball did. He was able to make an escape because he was fast enough to avoid the initial pressure, and almost found a receiver on a dead run. The OL that didn't move was the under-performing center that is no longer on the team.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
stuckinbig10country wrote:
golong wrote:
yes, because some lame Olineman allowed the defensive guy to be in Hill's pocket before he could even scan the field. Watch the replay, the BYU Olineman never moved, never reacted, but the Boise guy shot the gap straight at Hill and was chasing him down before he even had time to find a receiver. I believe, had the Oline guy even got in the guy's way, Hill would have found the open receiver and completed the pass.

Same argument for Heaps and Nelson. Escape. Make a play. BTW the wide open guy was open earlier.


Are you kidding me? The lineman got to the QB at almost the same time the ball did. He was able to make an escape because he was fast enough to avoid the initial pressure, and almost found a receiver on a dead run. The OL that didn't move was the under-performing center that is no longer on the team.


Rare indeed, but I've gotta agree with Stuck on this one. Our right guard or tackle got absolutely blown up, five yards into the backfield, right off the snap. If we'd have had, say, a left-handed QB on that play, we'd have been rolling the other way and would've had an easy two, but the problems from that play fall squarely on the O-line.
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
yes, because some lame Olineman allowed the defensive guy to be in Hill's pocket before he could even scan the field. Watch the replay, the BYU Olineman never moved, never reacted, but the Boise guy shot the gap straight at Hill and was chasing him down before he even had time to find a receiver. I believe, had the Oline guy even got in the guy's way, Hill would have found the open receiver and completed the pass.

Same argument for Heaps and Nelson. Escape. Make a play. BTW the wide open guy was open earlier.


Are you kidding me? The lineman got to the QB at almost the same time the ball did. He was able to make an escape because he was fast enough to avoid the initial pressure, and almost found a receiver on a dead run. The OL that didn't move was the under-performing center that is no longer on the team.


Rare indeed, but I've gotta agree with Stuck on this one. Our right guard or tackle got absolutely blown up, five yards into the backfield, right off the snap. If we'd have had, say, a left-handed QB on that play, we'd have been rolling the other way and would've had an easy two, but the problems from that play fall squarely on the O-line.


The OL was the problem on many plays all season. Great QBs make something happen on broken plays. Hill had time to hit the tight end but did not see him. He had time to hit the WR but threw off target. My point is this. It is really easy to assume that another QB would make the 4 plays Nelson did not make that would have won 4 games - but you kind of have to assume an inexperienced QB might have made a few other mistakes that Nelson did not make.



None of our QBs were ready for prime-time last year. There were a number of problems with that ream. We will find out in Seprember if any of our QBs are ready for prime-time this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
What are you talking about?????!!!!! Riley put us in the big hole most of game with horrible, inexcusable, self-glory seeking, poor play. Comparing the all-experienced SENIOR, who gave BYU its "best chance" to the freshman who needed to try and save the game, is just poppycock.



I wondered when you would come back out of the closet with your Riley-love and justification. When most fans and media turned on Riley, you coyly acted as though all along you had maintained some "objective" stance on Riley. But, once again, you have shown your Riley colors.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
What are you talking about?????!!!!! Riley put us in the big hole most of game with horrible, inexcusable, self-glory seeking, poor play. Comparing the all-experienced SENIOR, who gave BYU its "best chance" to the freshman who needed to try and save the game, is just poppycock.



I wondered when you would come back out of the closet with your Riley-love and justification. When most fans and media turned on Riley, you coyly acted as though all along you had maintained some "objective" stance on Riley. But, once again, you have shown your Riley colors.


This comment was not so much about Riley as it was about the assumption people keep making that we had Heisman trophy winners ready to go just sitting on the bench week 3 and 4 of the season.



As I stated before the season started, BYU would lose 4 if Riley stayed healthy. Let's see. I think that was right before you called me a "Riley Apologist. Well - now I am a "Hill Apologist". BYU will lose 4 or 5 games if Hill stays healthy - due to inexperience and SOS.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougy_Monster
BYUOregonfan wrote:
What part of Oregon? I am in Pendleton.




Oh, I'm not from Oregon. We just took a family trip there one year and fell in love with it. I am a fan of Oregon University too.


Welcome to the board. Its ok that you are an Oregon fan. We all have our shortcomings. ;)



I must admit, the 2006 Las Vegas Bowl (BYU 38 Oregon 8) was one of my favorite games I've ever watched. It represented the return of BYU to true BYU football. I loved how prior to the game coach Belloti spewed the typical PacThen10 vomitus about BYU not belonging in a league like the PAC10. He said BYU wouldn't even be able to compete in the league.



Then come game time and BYU took Oregon behind the shed for 4 straight quarters. LOL. I loved it. After the game when asked what it said about his Oregon team that they got pummeled by a team that supposedly didn't even belong in the same league.....Belloti had no comment, of course.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.