Archived Topic

Big man problem possibly solved?

by craigoscarson · 5/27/2013

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Word on the street is that a west coast senior/big man that has 1 yr of "graduate" eligibility might be transferring to the Y. I've seen speculation that it's one or both of the 7'0" Wear brothers from UCLA. I'd gladly take that with what else we're working with.
S
scott715
That would be huge if true. I would guess he did not want to play for Alford.



I can't find any rumor on the internet. The reason can't be playing time. As they only have 9 scholarship players on the team.
B
BYULV
Would be a great fit for us if true.
C
Cougs_Rule
Only a good fit if he can get up and down the floor. If BYU gets into a set offense, we don't do as well.
S
scott715
I think they can do both. Good in the half court and athletic enough to run. Good mid rnage shooters.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Well - this would be out of nowhere - but North Carolina was completely taken by surprise when the duo transferred to UCLA after their freshman season where they averaged about 3 points ppg each and 10 minutes ppg.



The UCLA Coach was key to the transfer as they are a So California family and were heavily recruited by UCLA out of high school.



So maybe they would transfer. They have been inseparable in the past. Not sure now. They seem to get mixed reviews - especially defense.



BYU? IDK. They probably are both good enough to start at BYU. They red-shirted a year when they transferred to UCLA. Thus they may well have graduated and be eligible to transfer without sitting out. Red-shirt seniors.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
This could have legs. Former Bruin coach, Howland, had critics that felt he played favorites and kept more talented players on the bench. He took heat for playing the Twins too much. The Twins transferred to UCLA to play for Howland. They have their critics too - defense - rebounding.



I could see them transfer given the quote I read about others deciding to stay given that new coach will not play favorites.



If both come - One might need to walk on? Schollie count has been tricky. I do know that we do have 1 schollie more this next season than could be renewed a year later, so one of the Twins would be a great fill for that one.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
With Ambrosino being gone we could take both Twins.
S
snoscythe
I don't know that a one-year bandaid would qualify as "solving" 8 years of persistent lack of depth in the post positions.
Q
Qman
snoscythe wrote:
I don't know that a one-year bandaid would qualify as "solving" 8 years of persistent lack of depth in the post positions.




If the Wear twins are really coming then I wonder if we would red-shirt Worthington and/or Mika.
Advertisement
S
scott715
They are 4s not 5s. MIka will still play for sure.
S
snoscythe
scott715 wrote:
They are 4s not 5s. MIka will still play for sure.


A 4 anywhere else in the NCAA is a 5 for Rose.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
They are 4s not 5s. MIka will still play for sure.


A 4 anywhere else in the NCAA is a 5 for Rose.




The brothers averaged 52.2 minutes combined, so both were frequently on the floor at the same time. They were 5th and 6th in average minutes and one had about 100 more than the other.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
Of course we are all getting way ahead of ourselves.
C
Cougs_Rule
I'll say.

But do we really want a player who has been a "favorite" but who was. Raltoely unproductive and most certainly afraid of the new coach who wasn't going to play favorites? Yikes.



Rose needs to be careful he doesn't keep getting JC transfers that blow up or out. It is a trend that will scare off other JC candidates from coming to BYU.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I'll say.

But do we really want a player who has been a "favorite" but who was. Raltoely unproductive and most certainly afraid of the new coach who wasn't going to play favorites? Yikes.



Rose needs to be careful he doesn't keep getting JC transfers that blow up or out. It is a trend that will scare off other JC candidates from coming to BYU.


UCLA is the same "JC" that Carlino came from. That might even be the connection. White guys that don't fit in with the "more athletic" players on the team. The twins played at another "JC" as true freshmen - University of North Carolina before transferring to UCLA.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
Cougarbib wrote:
I'll say.

But do we really want a player who has been a "favorite" but who was. Raltoely unproductive and most certainly afraid of the new coach who wasn't going to play favorites? Yikes.



Rose needs to be careful he doesn't keep getting JC transfers that blow up or out. It is a trend that will scare off other JC candidates from coming to BYU.


UCLA is the same "JC" that Carlino came from. That might even be the connection. White guys that don't fit in with the "more athletic" players on the team. The twins played at another "JC" as true freshmen - University of North Carolina before transferring to UCLA.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Does anyone blame the coaches for these recent JC flame outs? It was pretty obvious these guys got their chances to shine and didn't, I don't think that's a coaching issue with Delgado and Ambrosino.
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I'll say.

But do we really want a player who has been a "favorite" but who was. Raltoely unproductive and most certainly afraid of the new coach who wasn't going to play favorites? Yikes.



Rose needs to be careful he doesn't keep getting JC transfers that blow up or out. It is a trend that will scare off other JC candidates from coming to BYU.


UCLA is the same "JC" that Carlino came from. That might even be the connection. White guys that don't fit in with the "more athletic" players on the team. The twins played at another "JC" as true freshmen - University of North Carolina before transferring to UCLA.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Does anyone blame the coaches for these recent JC flame outs? It was pretty obvious these guys got their chances to shine and didn't, I don't think that's a coaching issue with Delgado and Ambrosino.


I was just giving DM a hard time for seeming to mix D1 transfers into a JC transfer comment.



But although I totally agree with what I think you are implying - Ambrosino and Delgado were not faikures of Coaches to develop or players that should have played more - they were just less talented than Coaches expected - but - I am a little concerned about talent evaluation on too many recent players BYU has recruited that proved to be limited in talent.



Or maybe - BYU just cannot land enough talented players anymore.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KYCoug
We've been kicking this around for a week now and I'm still wondering if it's for real or just a possibility. Has anyone heard anything definite on this? If not lets move on!!!



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY



Then again there isn't much else to talk about this time of year ;)
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
I'll say.

But do we really want a player who has been a "favorite" but who was. Raltoely unproductive and most certainly afraid of the new coach who wasn't going to play favorites? Yikes.



Rose needs to be careful he doesn't keep getting JC transfers that blow up or out. It is a trend that will scare off other JC candidates from coming to BYU.


UCLA is the same "JC" that Carlino came from. That might even be the connection. White guys that don't fit in with the "more athletic" players on the team. The twins played at another "JC" as true freshmen - University of North Carolina before transferring to UCLA.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Does anyone blame the coaches for these recent JC flame outs? It was pretty obvious these guys got their chances to shine and didn't, I don't think that's a coaching issue with Delgado and Ambrosino.


I was just giving DM a hard time for seeming to mix D1 transfers into a JC transfer comment.



But although I totally agree with what I think you are implying - Ambrosino and Delgado were not faikures of Coaches to develop or players that should have played more - they were just less talented than Coaches expected - but - I am a little concerned about talent evaluation on too many recent players BYU has recruited that proved to be limited in talent.



Or maybe - BYU just cannot land enough talented players anymore.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Put your glasses on old fart amd try reading. I typed and meant JC--thus Augie and Raul--both blow outs. If I meant transfer I would have included MC.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.