Archived Topic

Nelson Interview and Article

by jonnylingo · 5/23/2013

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
a couple gems:



http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25285398&nid=272&title=byu-quarterback-riley-nelson-reflects-on-controversial-senior-season&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


“It was a lot,” Nelson said. “The fractures were unstable in the University of Utah game meaning I could feel them grinding and shifting and moving in my back. … at halftime … there were moments where it was kind of hard to keep your mind focused, to keep your hand from shaking, but, you know it was great to have an opportunity to go out there and battle. … it was my senior year to play Utah at Utah — there was no way I was going to bow out or throw in the towel and my coaches were gracious enough to let me go ahead and compete.”



Despite the injury, Nelson lobbied and came to an agreement with head coach Bronco Mendenhall and then-offensive coordinator Brandon Doman.



“The deal I worked with the coaches was give me the opportunity to practice and if you determine my level of play to be high enough to make us competitive then let me play,” Nelson said. “And if not, then don’t play me and I would respect your decision.”


Well, that is a great agreement. if you are "competitive" we will let you play, not if you give us the bset chance of winning. good standard there.



this one was my favorite though:


“I was the one that chose to go out there knowing that I wasn’t fully healthy,” Nelson added. “It’s no excuse for the poor performances, especially in that Boise State game. Just because you’re back is hurt it doesn’t mean you have to turn the ball over. What was it, four times or something like that?”


Yes, Riley we lost track as well.



Nelson knew that he was extremely limited. He said that the vertebrae took his ability to throw the ball away. honestly what was bronco thinking letting this go on. i am surprised that medically nelson was even allowed to play. how do you let someone play a game with three unstable vertabrae?



i promised myself i wouldn't talk of nelson anymore. i should have know kevin graham would find a way to get me all worked up again.
S
SpiffCoug
Yep, no one in relation to Riley's injury made smart decisions. Riley knew he was hurt and that his was hindering his play, yet he wanted to keep playing. Coaches knew he was hurt adn that he wasn't playing well, yet kept allowing him to play.



I want to know where the medical and training staff were in all of this. How were they clearing him to play and practice?
S
scott715
Just walk away.
G
Guest
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-walk-away-53.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Is that a Venom-Bat-Iron Man?
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
SpiffCoug wrote:
Is that a Venom-Bat-Iron Man?

Correction... to me it looks like a Nelson-Venom-Bat-Iron Man... I can sense the grit from here!
C
Cougs_Rule
This should serve as confirmatory to those who have been in denial that it was ALL ABOUT RILEY--ALL ALONG!!!! Narcissism meets parental indulgence/enabling by Doman AND Bronco. and if I hear one of you rescuing Bronco as if he had no idea What Doman and Rley were doing, I'm going to bust out a current political scandal reference on you.;-)
B
BigCougsFan
This is getting ridiculous. Seriously. We live and we learn.



Bronco did what he thought was best for the team. Thinking, I had Riley or a frickin' greeny right out of high school. All because my other QB's quit in practice, they have the height but not the knowledge, etc...



Bronco learned thanks Mr. Heaps a year before.



Riley did what he thought was best for the team. No one here would have done anything different in his case. The world was on his shoulders, plus it was his chance to play in front of 65K, bright lights, fresh green grass, etc... Ask Rudy and he would tell you that he would have done the exact same thing.



Every frickin' college football fan will chastise "his" coach UNLESS it's Nick Saban.



I learned a couple years ago... Let college football be just that. College football.



When it comes to life, business, war in a distant battlefield. I would definitely want Bronco and Riley by my side AND You all know why.



But, since this is college football. I will shut up and let you all critique my words.
F
frdbtr
I think there had to be something behind the scenes that was influencing thier decisions. It just doesn't add up per what we have seen Bronco do in the past. That is why I made up the theory that the player leadership had to have been demanding it and Bronco just said "whatever you guys want". Last years poor decisions on the QB situation is something I haven't seen before even when Crowton was here. Bronco will take the blame/credit for everyones decisions in the program like he always does though so there is no need for political comparisons.
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
This should serve as confirmatory to those who have been in denial that it was ALL ABOUT RILEY--ALL ALONG!!!! Narcissism meets parental indulgence/enabling by Doman AND Bronco. and if I hear one of you rescuing Bronco as if he had no idea What Doman and Rley were doing, I'm going to bust out a current political scandal reference on you.;-)


As I have said all along - no conspiracy - no cover-up - everyone knew - nobody made anybody do anything - everyone was involved - Bronco had the final say - and, nobody else was thought to be ready yet.
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
BigCougsFan wrote:
This is getting ridiculous. Seriously. We live and we learn.



Bronco did what he thought was best for the team. Thinking, I had Riley or a frickin' greeny right out of high school. All because my other QB's quit in practice, they have the height but not the knowledge, etc...



Bronco learned thanks Mr. Heaps a year before.



Riley did what he thought was best for the team. No one here would have done anything different in his case. The world was on his shoulders, plus it was his chance to play in front of 65K, bright lights, fresh green grass, etc... Ask Rudy and he would tell you that he would have done the exact same thing.



Every frickin' college football fan will chastise "his" coach UNLESS it's Nick Saban.



I learned a couple years ago... Let college football be just that. College football.



When it comes to life, business, war in a distant battlefield. I would definitely want Bronco and Riley by my side AND You all know why.



But, since this is college football. I will shut up and let you all critique my words.




The only reason Nick Saban isn't criticized is because he will have your knee caps busted.
B
BigCougsFan
I figure. I come on here once every two months, so what do I have to lose by finally speaking my mind??? When I do, it's usually on my phone, because when I'm home I have something way better to do with my time than to read assumptions on here like "rumor board" or any other site dedicated to my school.



Everyone assumes and tries to figure out why said person did or didn't do something.



We all know the type of person Bronco is. We also know he's man enough to man up to his decisions and won't give explanations as to why "it didn't work out", because he won't allow someone to look bad. I get it, I understand it.



Everyone likes visuals. Look at Mormon when all other Nephites didn't agree/understand his ways in the final days of the Nephites. Mormon either didn't do it, or did it without them understanding. In other words... He knew what would happen but all others said the opposite, and he finally did it because it was his last hope, and he died for it.



That's just the beginning of me diving into Bronco's side. I will gladly do the same for Riley. Like I said, I would love for both of then to be on my side.



Everyone is a fool for bringing this garbage up again and again, move on.



We live and we learn.



[/size] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I thought you said you were going to "shut up"? Jk. Dude it's all fun. Relax a little. This isn't the Ensign.
S
snoscythe
After reading the KSL story on Nelson's "retrospective" of the 2012 season, I'm not a big fan of Nelson anymore. I thought he was gritty, tough, etc., but after reading his comments there, he sounds either delusional or like he has a few thousand synapses that haven't developed. He says he didn't think his injury was affected the way he played....until he was watching film AFTER the season was over. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
C
Cougs_Rule
And Sno, credit Riley for selling his goods to the whole team--hook, line, and sinker; with Heaps, without Heaps; without injury, with injury. He was selling and people were buying! He may have earned a great deal of respect and PT for his grit, but it was all part of his MO; all part of his "stop at nothing" to create his "Collegiate legacy". Maybe he should go into sales and not medicine......25 med schools--BS. You know how expensive and time consuming that is? More salesmanship. Actually, maybe he should go into politics.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
And Sno, credit Riley for selling his goods to the whole team--hook, line, and sinker; with Heaps, without Heaps; without injury, with injury. He was selling and people were buying! He may have earned a great deal of respect and PT for his grit, but it was all part of his MO; all part of his "stop at nothing" to create his "Collegiate legacy". Maybe he should go into sales and not medicine......25 med schools--BS. You know how expensive and time consuming that is? More salesmanship. Actually, maybe he should go into politics.


I had a friend who worked for UPS for 3-4 years after graduating from the U with outstanding grades. He applied to Med School every year. Finally got accepted. Wanted to be a Surgeon. After broadening his applications - he eventually became a very successful anesthesiologist. Very successful.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
BigCougsFan wrote:
No one here would have done anything different in his case. .


This is not true. There is no way I leave Riley in as long as they did in the boise state game.
S
Stirfry
jonnylingo wrote:
No one here would have done anything different in his case. .


This is not true. There is no way I leave Riley in as long as they did in the boise state game.



I'd also make the arguement that if I'm ever at war, I don't want the guy i'm going in with to have a broken back.
I
imuakahuku
LOL!!!!

This is one funny thread!

We have Mahana's psychologist husband breaking down the Riley situation, Bigcoug arguing with himself, an Iron-Riley-Bat-Venom Man, and people wanting to go to war or not go to war with a guy with a broken back. It was just funny to me.

Oh as for Riley, good luck dude. Now I am on the Hill, Olsen, Mangum, and the rest bandwagon because the Riley era is over. Go Cougars !!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
After reading the KSL story on Nelson's "retrospective" of the 2012 season, I'm not a big fan of Nelson anymore. I thought he was gritty, tough, etc., but after reading his comments there, he sounds either delusional or like he has a few thousand synapses that haven't developed. He says he didn't think his injury was affected the way he played....until he was watching film AFTER the season was over. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.


This why I posted it.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.