Archived Topic

New Signing Frank Bartley 2013

by scott715 · 5/13/2013

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/bartley-signs-byu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"We’re excited Frank is coming to BYU," Rose said. "He’s a great competitor who works really hard on both ends of the court. He’s an excellent defender and on offense he can create for himself and for his teammates."



Bartley, a 6-foot-3 guard from Baton Rouge, La., comes to BYU via Future College Prep in Carson, Calif. He enjoyed a successful career at Christian Life Academy in Louisiana before reclassifying to play one season at Future College Prep.



At Future College Prep in 2012-13, Bartley led his team to a record of 52-13 overall (50-4 vs. high school teams and other prep academies) and the West Coast Prep Championships with a win over Westwind (Ariz.) in the title game. Bartley averaged team highs of 19.0 points, 3.3 steals and 1.0 blocks and was second in rebounding (8.5) and assists (6.7).
S
snoscythe
I gotta say that neither of these signings (Bartely and the WF kid) excite me very much. It feels like we're replacing Delgado with Delgado, and Carlino with Carlino...
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
I gotta say that neither of these signings (Bartely and the WF kid) excite me very much. It feels like we're replacing Delgado with Delgado, and Carlino with Carlino...


I would gladly take another Carlino. I'll pass on another Delgado.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tmoney35
Gunk wrote:
I gotta say that neither of these signings (Bartely and the WF kid) excite me very much. It feels like we're replacing Delgado with Delgado, and Carlino with Carlino...


I would gladly take another Carlino. I'll pass on another Delgado.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If you keep signing "shooters", eventually one of them is bound be able to actually shoot...right?
Advertisement
S
scott715
It's a crap shoot. Wait I mean a shot gun where something will hit the mark.
C
Cougarbib
Sheesh - did Carlino leave?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
What's not to like about IV. They say 3'rd time is The Charm. 4'th has to be grand. Seriously - some good programs were looking at him.



There clearly is more to the story re why he is still available - but it is probably not due to a lack of BB skills. Maybe he can play FB and BB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
tmoney35 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I gotta say that neither of these signings (Bartely and the WF kid) excite me very much. It feels like we're replacing Delgado with Delgado, and Carlino with Carlino...


I would gladly take another Carlino. I'll pass on another Delgado.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


If you keep signing "shooters", eventually one of them is bound be able to actually shoot...right?


More shooters the better. Can never have too many shooters.



Carlino (a sophomore) averaged 11.5 pts, 4.8 assists, and 3.6 rebounds a game on 28 min of play. He was our 3rd leading scorer and best on-ball defender. His performance in the NIT was amazing. There should be no bagging on the guy and if any players of his caliber show interest in BYU we should be giddy.
Advertisement
G
golong
Skepticism is fine, but based on what? I believe both these signees will contribute in significant ways at BYU. Carlino can play and shoot and play the point; yes he has some improving to do, but I think we'll see big improvement this year. His biggest fault was being unwilling to just huck up shots he should not be taking; hopefully Rose can school him in that regard.



Bartley could be the first guy off the bench this year (since Davies will not be getting into foul trouble the first three minutes of every game). Rose now has a couple more scholarships to give, he must find a serious big guy to play the middle, we are still seriously weak there.
E
EM_Puma
snoscythe wrote:
I gotta say that neither of these signings (Bartely and the WF kid) excite me very much. It feels like we're replacing Delgado with Delgado, and Carlino with Carlino...


I'll take the position of being tenative on what I think until I see more. I just read Bartely's review by his HS coach and it reminds me of when we signed Delgado. His AAU coach posted on TBS how really good Delgado was and tough with attitude and how wonderful of a player BYU had signed. I figured he knew what he was talking about but Delgado never bore fruit and took no advantage of opportunities. I'm not disappointed in these two players, but they'll have to prove to me that I need to be any bit excited.
C
Cougarbib
golong wrote:
Skepticism is fine, but based on what? I believe both these signees will contribute in significant ways at BYU. Carlino can play and shoot and play the point; yes he has some improving to do, but I think we'll see big improvement this year. His biggest fault was being unwilling to just huck up shots he should not be taking; hopefully Rose can school him in that regard.



Bartley could be the first guy off the bench this year (since Davies will not be getting into foul trouble the first three minutes of every game). Rose now has a couple more scholarships to give, he must find a serious big guy to play the middle, we are still seriously weak there.


Based on what I have read, we are down to 1 schollie. I read that our ACC Transfer uses up one schollie immediately even though he cannot play immediately. Anybody else know how that gets counted? I had thought it would not take a schollie until he was eligible to play, so I was surprised to read that it counts right away.



Then, of course, IV takes up 1.



So, 3 minus 1 minus 1 = 1.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
1 left chase is redshirt this year until eligible next year.
C
Cougarbib
I will break from my normal realist, Missouri MO, show me first, mode - don the Blue Goggles - and say that I think this player will develop into a solid starter for BYU if he comes, handles the honor code, stays healthy, stays humble, remembers that basketball is a team sport, works hard, and shows some grit.



I am not predicting Jabari Parker good. Hardly. Just a sleeper that will be Charles Abuo good or better.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
His performance in the NIT was amazing.


And his regular season performance (or lack thereof), was a significant reason why we were in the NIT.
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
His performance in the NIT was amazing.


And his regular season performance (or lack thereof), was a significant reason why we were in the NIT.


Actually, he was one of our most consistent players during WCC play. Pre-Conf he was really stinking it up and faded a little at the end of conference.
B
BYULV
BYULV wrote:
Gunk wrote:
His performance in the NIT was amazing.


And his regular season performance (or lack thereof), was a significant reason why we were in the NIT.


Actually, he was one of our most consistent players during WCC play. Pre-Conf he was really stinking it up and faded a little at the end of conference.




WCC play:



1st Steals - 2.3/game

4th Assists - 4.8/gm

6th Ass/TO - 1.6

11th scoring - 13.8

11th 3 pt made - 1.6

12th FG% - 43.6

14th 3 pt % - 36.6

(not in the top 10 in minutes played)



Not Sophomore Haws good, but solid Sophomore season.
S
snoscythe
BYULV wrote:
Gunk wrote:
His performance in the NIT was amazing.


And his regular season performance (or lack thereof), was a significant reason why we were in the NIT.


Actually, he was one of our most consistent players during WCC play. Pre-Conf he was really stinking it up and faded a little at the end of conference.


Where do you find consistency in the WCC play? His game log is absolutely schizophrenic:



WCC points each game:

21, 22, 13, 13, 16, 11, 11, 24, 12, 28, 9, 10, 10, 9, 2, 7, 11, 13



WCC assists each game:

5, 4, 4, 8, 5, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4, 3, 7, 5, 2, 2, 7, 2



WCC turnovers each game:

4, 1, 0, 0, 6, 0, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 2, 5, 2, 9, 4



WCC FG% each game:

47, 53, 50, 36, 50, 36, 36, 59, 27, 59, 28, 33, 67, 25, 20, 27, 67, 46



WCC 3P% each game:

50, 33, 75, 25, 50, 17, 14, 100, 33, 50, 14, 25, 100, 14, 0, 33, 50



To my mind a guy is consisent if his coach can say, whatever happens we know we can count on so-and-so for xx points/assists every night. How do you fill in those blanks for Carlino based on his WCC play?
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
His performance in the NIT was amazing.


And his regular season performance (or lack thereof), was a significant reason why we were in the NIT.


Actually, he was one of our most consistent players during WCC play. Pre-Conf he was really stinking it up and faded a little at the end of conference.


Where do you find consistency in the WCC play? His game log is absolutely schizophrenic:



WCC points each game:

21, 22, 13, 13, 16, 11, 11, 24, 12, 28, 9, 10, 10, 9, 2, 7, 11, 13



WCC assists each game:

5, 4, 4, 8, 5, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4, 3, 7, 5, 2, 2, 7, 2



WCC turnovers each game:

4, 1, 0, 0, 6, 0, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 2, 5, 2, 9, 4



WCC FG% each game:

47, 53, 50, 36, 50, 36, 36, 59, 27, 59, 28, 33, 67, 25, 20, 27, 67, 46



WCC 3P% each game:

50, 33, 75, 25, 50, 17, 14, 100, 33, 50, 14, 25, 100, 14, 0, 33, 50



To my mind a guy is consisent if his coach can say, whatever happens we know we can count on so-and-so for xx points/assists every night. How do you fill in those blanks for Carlino based on his WCC play?


Throw out a few outliers and he stays right around his averages. Who did we have that was more consistent than him? Haws - yes. Davies - possibly. Nobody else even comes close to his consistency. Would have been nice to seen him more consistent, but he was one of our most consistent last season.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.