Archived Topic

Internet Tax

by BroncoBot · 4/25/2013

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Being pushed by Walmart. It's funny hearing these Senators whine about the "unfairness" of internet sales not being taxed. Why don't these senators (especially republicans) promote a decreased sales tax, or NO sales tax in the state they live to level the playing field which would also jump start local economies. Really, who wants to wait days for an item to arrive? If the price is equal or even close, I'll certainly by local. Alas, once a tax has been implemented, self-preserving government relies on that tax for survival.



This isn't about making the playing field level. It's about making more money for government. Remind me why this isn't this a state level issue? I believe some states have already done this, correct? If a state wants to tax internet sales, what's stopping them right now?
S
snoscythe
FWIW, Utah already has an internet sales tax. They just attempt to collect from the dishonest buyers as theydon't have a mechanism to collect from out of state sellers.



If you're an honest Utahn, this should only serve to simplify your life and tax season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
Sales taxes, like income taxes, are blatant theft. If someone refuses to pay it just means they are refusing to be robbed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Of course Wal-mart is for it. It's going to be immensely difficult for small buisnesses to manage online sales taxes. But for a large corporation like Wal-mart it will drive buisness to them.
S
snoscythe
jvquarterback wrote:
Sales taxes, like income taxes, are blatant theft. If someone refuses to pay it just means they are refusing to be robbed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm fine with people refusing to pay if they're willing to pay the consequences. But here's the distinction--do you truthfully answer the question about the amount of online purchases, and then refuse to pay? Or do you lie and say "$0 online purchases this year" and then refuse to pay?
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
FWIW, Utah already has an internet sales tax. They just attempt to collect from the dishonest buyers as theydon't have a mechanism to collect from out of state sellers.



If you're an honest Utahn, this should only serve to simplify your life and tax season.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

true simplification would be dropping all sales tax immediately.
B
BoiseBYU
To me it is an equity and level the playing field argument. Why should the mom and pop books store have to charge and collect sales tax while Amazon does not for the very same purchase? And the revenues are what pays for our schools and our infrastructure etc? This does not have to be a tax increase. If spreading the tax out increases revenue then the legislature of course has the option of reducing the overall sales tax. I do not see why we want to put main street businesses at a competitive disadvantage to those who sell over the Internet
B
BroncoBot
BoiseBYU wrote:
To me it is an equity and level the playing field argument. Why should the mom and pop books store have to charge and collect sales tax while Amazon does not for the very same purchase? And the revenues are what pays for our schools and our infrastructure etc? This does not have to be a tax increase. If spreading the tax out increases revenue then the legislature of course has the option of reducing the overall sales tax. I do not see why we want to put main street businesses at a competitive disadvantage to those who sell over the Internet

This is both the beauty and the beast of capitalism. Mom and pop stores, if they do not find a way to cope may be history which is indeed sad. I really don't think that there is much advantage when you calculate shipping into the equation. And remember, it's people like Walmart (who is anything but a mom and pop shop) who is going to really be at a huge advantage with this. At least right now mom and pop shops can put items on ebay, amazon, etc without being charged taxes and survive that way. THEY loose that advantage if this goes away as more people will likely just head to their local walmart for items. Mom and pop shops are going to have difficulty dealing with this mess. Just like healthcare is having difficulty dealing with everything that obamacare implemented.
S
Stirfry
BoiseBYU wrote:
This does not have to be a tax increase. If spreading the tax out increases revenue then the legislature of course has the option of reducing the overall sales tax.

That's funny right there! :P
S
Schmoe
Stirfry wrote:
This does not have to be a tax increase. If spreading the tax out increases revenue then the legislature of course has the option of reducing the overall sales tax.

That's funny right there! :P


Yeah, and I always have the option of telling my boss I'd like a pay cut :lol:
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Stirfry wrote:
This does not have to be a tax increase. If spreading the tax out increases revenue then the legislature of course has the option of reducing the overall sales tax.

That's funny right there! :P


IN a sadly dispiriting way yes. but it is still accurate
J
jvquarterback
snoscythe wrote:
Sales taxes, like income taxes, are blatant theft. If someone refuses to pay it just means they are refusing to be robbed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm fine with people refusing to pay if they're willing to pay the consequences. But here's the distinction--do you truthfully answer the question about the amount of online purchases, and then refuse to pay? Or do you lie and say "$0 online purchases this year" and then refuse to pay?


No such question in Arizona as far as I know. But if there were a tax collector sent to my home to take my money you can be sure I would be part of the mob tarring and feathering him.
S
snoscythe
jvquarterback wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:
Sales taxes, like income taxes, are blatant theft. If someone refuses to pay it just means they are refusing to be robbed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm fine with people refusing to pay if they're willing to pay the consequences. But here's the distinction--do you truthfully answer the question about the amount of online purchases, and then refuse to pay? Or do you lie and say "$0 online purchases this year" and then refuse to pay?


No such question in Arizona as far as I know. But if there were a tax collector sent to my home to take my money you can be sure I would be part of the mob tarring and feathering him.


Well then, the term "Utahn" didn't apply to you in the first place, now did it?
J
jvquarterback
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Sales taxes, like income taxes, are blatant theft. If someone refuses to pay it just means they are refusing to be robbed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm fine with people refusing to pay if they're willing to pay the consequences. But here's the distinction--do you truthfully answer the question about the amount of online purchases, and then refuse to pay? Or do you lie and say "$0 online purchases this year" and then refuse to pay?


No such question in Arizona as far as I know. But if there were a tax collector sent to my home to take my money you can be sure I would be part of the mob tarring and feathering him.


Well then, the term "Utahn" didn't apply to you in the first place, now did it?


When I was a Utahn I didn't file taxes at all (all cash business) but I most certainly didn't file or pay anything for internet sales taxes (even if there was a law).



No one should be made to feel dishonest for telling a thief with a gun at their back they don't have any money and that is all the government is when they come looking for sales and income taxes.



If it makes you feel any better you can just leave sections blank. It would be like not answering the mugger with his knife.
A
ABYUFAN
jvquarterback wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:
Sales taxes, like income taxes, are blatant theft. If someone refuses to pay it just means they are refusing to be robbed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm fine with people refusing to pay if they're willing to pay the consequences. But here's the distinction--do you truthfully answer the question about the amount of online purchases, and then refuse to pay? Or do you lie and say "$0 online purchases this year" and then refuse to pay?


No such question in Arizona as far as I know. But if there were a tax collector sent to my home to take my money you can be sure I would be part of the mob tarring and feathering him.


Well then, the term "Utahn" didn't apply to you in the first place, now did it?


When I was a Utahn I didn't file taxes at all (all cash business) but I most certainly didn't file or pay anything for internet sales taxes (even if there was a law).



No one should be made to feel dishonest for telling a thief with a gun at their back they don't have any money and that is all the government is when they come looking for sales and income taxes.



If it makes you feel any better you can just leave sections blank. It would be like not answering the mugger with his knife.

Wow! Is there any tax that you don't consider robbery or theft? How do you expect local governments to function? Plant a "free money" tree?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
N
nuk13
I think it was Dale Carnegie that quoted someone else when he said a man (bpc or before politcallly correct) convinced against his will is of the same oppinion still. With that I give my oppionion. I expect all governments to function much more efficiency and stop taxing and spending. My expectations are rarely ever met.



I just talked to a friend in a "mom and pop" used book store. He said what he sells in the shop locally mearly pays the bills while his online sales give him something to buy food, clothing etc. with. An online sales tax would probably require him to hire someone and soak up his money and probably destroy his business. There's not much fairness in that.



A talk show friend said there are over 9600 entities that collect sales tax. Some of you mentioning Walmart are right. They can handle that but not someone selling doilies over the internet. In addition, since things go across state lines Washington probably will step in and few things get better with them in the ring.



I have known of politicians reducing taxes but it is about as rare as a palamino zebra. They hardly ever meet a tax they don't like.
S
Sammich
In my experience, when big companies promote legislation, it always hurts the little guys. Amazon will barely flinch at this, but thousands of small businesses (mom and pop included) will founder or fail if it passes. I see no reason to remove what tax shelter there is this corner of the market right now.
S
snoscythe
jvquarterback wrote:
When I was a Utahn I didn't file taxes at all (all cash business) but I most certainly didn't file or pay anything for internet sales taxes (even if there was a law).



No one should be made to feel dishonest for telling a thief with a gun at their back they don't have any money and that is all the government is when they come looking for sales and income taxes.



If it makes you feel any better you can just leave sections blank. It would be like not answering the mugger with his knife.


Let me be clear that under the facts you have presented, I would consider you a dishonest Utahn. To the extent you are LDS, the acts you describe could very well disqualify you from leadership responsibilites and holding a temple recommend.



I know your type--the kind who feel that government serves you and has no right to your stuff (even though you benefit from how government uses your funds), and you try to formulate some moral principal on which you are making a stand, but in the end I usually find it's just greed masquerading as a moral crusade. All of Utah's income tax goes towards education. Did you hold your kids out of school to protest those same taxes? Or did you freeload off the others who duly paid? Unless you received payment in something other than currency (but you said all cash), that seems to fly in the face of the Savior's own directive to "render . . . under Caesar the things which are Caesar's."



Now, you can argue with me the extent to which government has a right to tax or to which a given tax rate is moral, but it seems clear cut to me under both scripture, logic, and current church positions that governments can tax their citizens, and that citizens have a duty to pay those taxes.
S
SpiffCoug
It's just sad to see Congress looking for more taxes. The solutions to our fiscal problems is NOT more taxation.



Seems more like the British Parlaiment circa 1770. "We'll just tax the colonists into submission!"
B
BroncoBot
America is WAY past the taxation rate of the mid 1700s. If this tax goes through, it's not going to help anyone but the walmarts/amazons out there.



Colonials would have revolted years ago.
Page 1 of 6
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.