Archived Topic

Bronco will attend draft with ZIGGY.

by BroncoBot · 4/24/2013

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Hard to believe Ziggy would want someone there who "doesn't trust him".

:lol:



It's pretty clear that Bronco is a big Ziggy fan. Ziggy should do some good things with what he's learned while at BYU.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
Hard to believe Ziggy would want someone there who "doesn't trust him".

:lol:



It's pretty clear that Bronco is a big Ziggy fan. Ziggy should do some good things with what he's learned while at BYU.


It was Bronco's, Kaufusi's, and Kelly Poppinga's coaching that made Ziggy what he is today. If I were him I would be grateful for what Bronco did too. The whole "trust" thing is another example of ignorant fans making a mountain out of a mole hill over what Bronco told Ziggy when he tried out for the team. Bronco was exactly right, he knew Ziggy had never played football, knew nothing of the game but had tremendous physical tools. Bronco developed those tools and put him in the NFL. Awesome coaching job.
J
jonnylingo
This is awesome exposure for BYU. Bronco has done a fine job with these young men. You can tell they are all very close knit. Great chemistry. Wonder if new players can forge that again this year.



Bronco deserves credit for Ziggy. Absolutely. He handled the whole thing exactly how he should have.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
This is awesome exposure for BYU. Bronco has done a fine job with these young men. You can tell they are all very close knit. Great chemistry. Wonder if new players can forge that again this year.



Bronco deserves credit for Ziggy. Absolutely. He handled the whole thing exactly how he should have.


100%
S
SpiffCoug
I know one concern GMs and others have about Ziggy is his love for the game. They want to know if he's just playing because it's easy and fun to him or if he has a passion for the game that will make fight through the tough adjustment to the NFL.



The fact that he never gave up and constantly wanted to prove Bronco wrong should help assuage those doubts.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Maybe Bronco just didn't trust him in the Big Apple all by himself.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Maybe Bronco just didn't trust him in the Big Apple all by himself.

He's got much bigger temptations than a few nights in the big apple by himself.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Hard to believe Ziggy would want someone there who "doesn't trust him".

:lol:



It's pretty clear that Bronco is a big Ziggy fan. Ziggy should do some good things with what he's learned while at BYU.


It was Bronco's, Kaufusi's, and Kelly Poppinga's coaching that made Ziggy what he is today. If I were him I would be grateful for what Bronco did too. The whole "trust" thing is another example of ignorant fans making a mountain out of a mole hill over what Bronco told Ziggy when he tried out for the team. Bronco was exactly right, he knew Ziggy had never played football, knew nothing of the game but had tremendous physical tools. Bronco developed those tools and put him in the NFL. Awesome coaching job.


Are you the pot or the kettle this time. Sounds like you are greatly minimizing, by suggesting that "no trust" was a molehill instead of the reality making mountain that Bronco intended it to be and that was a huge factor in helping Ziggy make a most Everest-like climb, "meteoric climb" as Mel Kiper said to where he is now.

I don't fault Bronco. I applaud his honesty and reality check, if not his strategic, plodding execution of coaching the Zig.
C
Cougy_Monster
I don't think Bronco held Ziggy back and I'm glad Ziggy finally broke into the starting rotation. I also think some of Bronco's comments about Ziggy's beginnings in football were very poorly worded and people who roll their eyes at comments about trust and Ziggy being a joke are justified in thinking Bronco probably had no idea what he had until it all unfolded on its own.



Bronco gave Ziggy a chance. Props to him for that. I am not sure Ziggy has benefited from great coaching yet though. Every scouting report indicates that what Ziggy lacks is coaching to match his potential.



I'm not saying Bronco did a bad job with Ziggy. I just wonder how many D1 coaches WOULDN'T have given Ziggy a chance to walk-on. The guy is a freak of nature. It doesn't take a brilliant coach to acquiesce to walking-on to a 6'5", 271 lb track athlete.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Cougy_Monster wrote:
I'm not saying Bronco did a bad job with Ziggy. I just wonder how many D1 coaches WOULDN'T have given Ziggy a chance to walk-on. The guy is a freak of nature. It doesn't take a brilliant coach to acquiesce to walking-on to a 6'5", 271 lb track athlete.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I bet most wouldn't have done what Bronco did. If they did, I bet more would be scouring their school's track teams for more freaks like Ziggy.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
I know one concern GMs and others have about Ziggy is his love for the game. They want to know if he's just playing because it's easy and fun to him or if he has a passion for the game that will make fight through the tough adjustment to the NFL.



The fact that he never gave up and constantly wanted to prove Bronco wrong should help assuage those doubts.


You would think him being where he is is proof enough that will fight through the tough adjustment. new school, new country, new everything, playing sport he had no idea how it worked and become top ten draft pick. even with raw skills you just don't do that if you are not a hard worker or someone who overcomes difficulty.



I would think the biggest worry would be that he hasn't reached his potential so we don't know what it is exactly. We can speculate but you don't know because he is not there yet. so using high draft on him is risky in that way. that risk is downgraded however when you look at work ethic, physical skill set, and smarts.
C
Cougy_Monster
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm not saying Bronco did a bad job with Ziggy. I just wonder how many D1 coaches WOULDN'T have given Ziggy a chance to walk-on. The guy is a freak of nature. It doesn't take a brilliant coach to acquiesce to walking-on to a 6'5", 271 lb track athlete.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I bet most wouldn't have done what Bronco did. If they did, I bet more would be scouring their school's track teams for more freaks like Ziggy.




Maybe you're right. But I don't think there are many Ziggies out there.



Ziggy asked Bronco for a chance. Bronco didn't discover Ziggy.



It's analogous to a super hot girl walking up to a random 22yo guy and asking for a date. The guy may say "I don't trust you" or think its "a joke" but since she's super hot pretty much any guy would give her a chance to prove she is for real. What is there to lose?



Bronco did right in giving Ziggy a chance but I just don't think he deserves the credit for opening the present dropped in his lap. He didn't screw it up - that's good. But he also didn't "discover" Ziggy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Good PR for BYU. Hope Bronco gets onscreen a lot on Draft Day. BYU needs this badly.
S
Schmoe
Cougy_Monster wrote:
Cougy_Monster wrote:
I'm not saying Bronco did a bad job with Ziggy. I just wonder how many D1 coaches WOULDN'T have given Ziggy a chance to walk-on. The guy is a freak of nature. It doesn't take a brilliant coach to acquiesce to walking-on to a 6'5", 271 lb track athlete.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I bet most wouldn't have done what Bronco did. If they did, I bet more would be scouring their school's track teams for more freaks like Ziggy.




Maybe you're right. But I don't think there are many Ziggies out there.



Ziggy asked Bronco for a chance. Bronco didn't discover Ziggy.



It's analogous to a super hot girl walking up to a random 22yo guy and asking for a date. The guy may say "I don't trust you" or think its "a joke" but since she's super hot pretty much any guy would give her a chance to prove she is for real. What is there to lose?


Actually, it's more like a Pygmalion (She's All That, for you younger guys) situation where Bronco had no idea what kind of player Ziggy would be and if he would work hard or just lean on his natural athletic ability. So Bronco did take a chance, helped mold and sculpt the player, and Ziggy put in the work and time to listen and learn and became that player. He wasn't even a good football player out of the gate.
F
frdbtr
Cougs_Rule wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Hard to believe Ziggy would want someone there who "doesn't trust him".

:lol:



It's pretty clear that Bronco is a big Ziggy fan. Ziggy should do some good things with what he's learned while at BYU.


It was Bronco's, Kaufusi's, and Kelly Poppinga's coaching that made Ziggy what he is today. If I were him I would be grateful for what Bronco did too. The whole "trust" thing is another example of ignorant fans making a mountain out of a mole hill over what Bronco told Ziggy when he tried out for the team. Bronco was exactly right, he knew Ziggy had never played football, knew nothing of the game but had tremendous physical tools. Bronco developed those tools and put him in the NFL. Awesome coaching job.


Are you the pot or the kettle this time. Sounds like you are greatly minimizing, by suggesting that "no trust" was a molehill instead of the reality making mountain that Bronco intended it to be and that was a huge factor in helping Ziggy make a most Everest-like climb, "meteoric climb" as Mel Kiper said to where he is now.

I don't fault Bronco. I applaud his honesty and reality check, if not his strategic, plodding execution of coaching the Zig.


When Ziggy walked into Bronco's office I think that Bronco didn't think he would last 5 minutes in practice. With 99% of cases, he would probably been right. Credit Ziggy for sticking it out. Credit the coaches for developing his talent when he stuck it out. Bronco uses the word "trust" to describe a player who doesn't know his assignments and how to execute them properly. Ziggy obviously didn't for all but the last 8 or so games of last year. Credit Ziggy's intelligence for picking up so quickly how to be assignment sound in Bronco's schemes. Everyone acts like Bronco hated Ziggy and wanted to make life hard on him so that he would quit. That couldn't be further than the truth, Bronco saw the talent, worked Ziggy's tail off and put him in situations where he could have success in order to build his confidence and now he is going to be a top 5 pick. Credit to Bronco.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
there isn't much to argue here. Without Bronco Ziggy would not be where he is today. Also without Ziggy's hard work, smarts, and committment, he would not be where he was today.
B
BroncoBot
Anyone catch where Bronco said that Ziggy tried to give up multiple times (50 times)? I think Bronco knew what he had in Ziggy and was determined to get him the jump start he needed. I often get the impression that many believe Ziggy is where he is despite Bronco's resistance. That Bronco simply couldn't keep him wrapped up on the sidelines anymore, and I'm of the opinion that nothing could be farther from the truth. Ziggy is where he is because Bronco didn't let him give up.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaGPqYaNS0U&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The whole video is awesome, but Mendenhall's comments about Ziggy trying to quit in 2010 happen about 55 seconds in.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
Anyone catch where Bronco said that Ziggy tried to give up multiple times (50 times)? I think Bronco knew what he had in Ziggy and was determined to get him the jump start he needed. I often get the impression that Ziggy is where he is despite Bronco's resistance. That Bronco simply couldn't keep him wrapped up on the sidelines anymore, and I'm of the opinion that nothing could be farther from the truth. Ziggy is where he is because Bronco didn't let him give up.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaGPqYaNS0U&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The whole video is awesome, but Mendenhall's comments about Ziggy trying to quit in 2010 happen about 55 seconds in.


I think Bronco was talking about quitting in practice. There have been other interviews where Bronco said he was surprised that Ziggy kept showing up every day despite the struggles he was having picking up football. The kid is definitely a great story.
B
BoiseBYU
jonnylingo wrote:
there isn't much to argue here. Without Bronco Ziggy would not be where he is today. Also without Ziggy's hard work, smarts, and committment, he would not be where he was today.

Well said.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.