Archived Topic

Projected Starting Lineup 2013-2014

by byucougar1 · 4/17/2013

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Haws (SF), Carlino (SG), Collinsworth (PG), Austin (PF) and Mika (C). I believe Collinsworth will be PG because he likes to distribute (his the height to see the floor well and can dominate smaller players) while Carlino likes to finish (outside shooting and drives to basket). Collinsworth might also ensure the Matty is taking high percentage shots by passing to him in good spots (high percentage shots). If Austin plays like he did in NIT, he will bring high energy rebounding and inside/outside scoring. Mika is tough rebounder and runs the floor as good as any big man in the league. This just might be a starting line-up that can put us in top dog position with the Zags. Key will be our defense and whether we can play man-to-man (Rose's preference.). Depth will be another big factor as we need subs to step up and be productive on both ends of the floor.
B
BerliNY
Not sure about Carlino at SG w/ the bigger Collinsworth at Point but, I'll take those 5 players every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm particularly intrigued by the Austin/Mika duo, could be a nice complement there.
Q
Qman
BerliNY wrote:
Not sure about Carlino at SG w/ the bigger Collinsworth at Point but, I'll take those 5 players every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm particularly intrigued by the Austin/Mika duo, could be a nice complement there.


PG vs SG labels won't be important next year.



Carlino

Collinsworth

Haws

Austin

Mika



I wonder if Collinsworth will be the designated perimeter defender or Carlino.



The real question is going to be the rotation. Delgado? Winder? Ambrosino? Another big man?



Will one of the walk-ons suprise?
C
Cougs_Rule
Thanks Spiff for the article ref. Great stuff. But, Ya, some of you were right, MIka would have sucked in a game of LP vs BYU, when BYU was sucking air mid-to late regular season. :roll:
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Qman wrote:
Not sure about Carlino at SG w/ the bigger Collinsworth at Point but, I'll take those 5 players every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm particularly intrigued by the Austin/Mika duo, could be a nice complement there.


PG vs SG labels won't be important next year.



Carlino

Collinsworth

Haws

Austin

Mika



I wonder if Collinsworth will be the designated perimeter defender or Carlino.



The real question is going to be the rotation. Delgado? Winder? Ambrosino? Another big man?



Will one of the walk-ons suprise?


Your thinking has merit. It will be more about offensive sets as much as positions. But still, Carlino scores better as a 2 than as a 1. But he improved in NIT! And has great playmaking upside if he can contain risks/turnovers and quick shots off the dribble--leash pullers for Rose. It may come down to matchups and this is a pretty dynamic group: a slasher who can get to the rim and draw doubles in KC; a shooter and playmaker in MC, and a consistent offensive center piece and mid-range specialist in TH; all supported by two big men who can and have been trained to run the floor.



And, yes, who will step up to sub in will make a big difference. Rose risks running starters, namely Haws, into the ground. If he's going to keep running, and he will, he has to find a better match than a Cusick-type player.
S
Schmoe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Thanks Spiff for the article ref. Great stuff. But, Ya, some of you were right, MIka would have sucked in a game of LP vs BYU, when BYU was sucking air mid-to late regular season. :roll:


Quote me a single quote from anyone on the website that said "Mika would have sucked in a game vs BYU."
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Thanks Spiff for the article ref. Great stuff. But, Ya, some of you were right, MIka would have sucked in a game of LP vs BYU, when BYU was sucking air mid-to late regular season. :roll:

No one was saying Mika would have sucked in a game vs BYU. We were saying BYU would have beaten LP.
S
Schmoe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Thanks Spiff for the article ref. Great stuff. But, Ya, some of you were right, MIka would have sucked in a game of LP vs BYU, when BYU was sucking air mid-to late regular season. :roll:

No one was saying Mika would have sucked in a game vs BYU. We were saying BYU would have beaten LP.


Don't forget that we said Mika wouldn't be as good right off the bat as our center who is currently getting lots of looks from NBA scouts. That must translate in simple minds to read "Mika sucks."
N
nuk13
Qman wrote:
Not sure about Carlino at SG w/ the bigger Collinsworth at Point but, I'll take those 5 players every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm particularly intrigued by the Austin/Mika duo, could be a nice complement there.


PG vs SG labels won't be important next year.



Carlino

Collinsworth

Haws

Austin

Mika



I wonder if Collinsworth will be the designated perimeter defender or Carlino.



The real question is going to be the rotation. Delgado? Winder? Ambrosino? Another big man?



Will one of the walk-ons suprise?


I pretty much agree with u Q. I think Collinsworth can rebound a little better than Haws so I'd want him closer to the basket. I do agree with these 5 on the floor at once. I think and hope Worthington, the 6'9" kid from Wisconsin will work into the rotation. I think he weighs in at 240 lbs. We may loose a little in scoring but this will bode well for defense especially in the post next season so our margin of victory hopefully will increase. My real hope though, is the bottom line; more wins especially agains St. Marys, Gonzaga and the post season opponents.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Kyle Collinsworth had an assist:turnover ratio of 75:56. Carlino this past year was 171:98.



Carlino played 1034 minutes, Collinsworth 926.



Assists per 40 minutes: KC - 3.24; MC - 6.62

Turnovers per 40 minutes: KC - 2.42; MC - 3.79



I'm not sold on a poor shooter and a relatively poor passer being our solution at the PG position.
C
Cougs_Rule
Kyle was a true freshman.

Carlino was a redshirt soph. In his second year.



Are we fudging a bit on context?
S
SpiffCoug
Did Carlino RS at UCLA? I don't remember. I thought he left right away.



Regardless, I don't think a kid fresh off his mission somehow became a better shooter and passer while freezing his tuckuss off in Vladivlastok, Russia.
C
Cougs_Rule
I totally agree with you on his shooting. It was as ugly as Shawn Marion. So there is hope. ;-)
S
SpiffCoug
As ugly as Shawn Marion coming back to play after spending two years away from the court and essentially on the opposite side of the world?
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Shawn Marion's shot.
S
scott715
Carlino started at UCLA and then left at the end of the term (December). He came to the Y and had to sit out at first. In December he started playing for us.
G
Gunk
I do not understand the fascination with KC at PG. He couldn't dribble, pass or shoot before his mission. I doubt he suddenly increased his abilities while on a mission. He played the 3 and 4 before his mission and was barely able to stay infront of his man then. No way he stays in front of a guard coming off a mission.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Gunk wrote:
I do not understand the fascination with KC at PG. He couldn't dribble, pass or shoot before his mission. I doubt he suddenly increased his abilities while on a mission. He played the 3 and 4 before his mission and was barely able to stay infront of his man then. No way he stays in front of a guard coming off a mission.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Agreed. He is a good slasher and has good court vision. He also plays like a man down low and rebounds very well for his size. I don't really see the PG thing either, but we ought to withhold judgment until we get to see him play on a non-Jimmer-centric team to see if he can blossom.
B
BroncoBot
Why are we even discussing KC at the point? That would be the worst move of Rose's career.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.