Archived Topic

BYU vs. Baylor (kinda)

by Schmoe · 4/10/2013

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Ok, I have to ask this question, because to me, a 6-8 200 lb player who can barely dunk should not be getting a shot at the NBA. I would argue until I'm blue in the face that Mark Cuban is doing this as a total publicity stunt and that there are many male freshmen (incoming freshmen) who are better than Griner right now. Whaddya think?
S
SpiffCoug
There are juniors in high school who are better than Griner.



It is totally for plublicity.



I don't think anyone would actually let her try out for the NBA and if she is smart she won't.



It would be interseting to see if ESPN cover it because she will be made to look like a fool.
S
snoscythe
Cuban is a smart fella. He's getting positive ink for free, and I think this is his eventual game plan: (1) invite Griner to Dallas for a media circus/"pre-draft workout", (2) draft a legitimate male player in the second round, (3) hope someone else in the NBA is dumb enough to call his bluff and waste a second round pick on Griner, and (4) if 3 does not happen, offer Griner a D-League contract where your D-League games will enjoy the highest attendance of any D-League game in history and plenty of run on SportsCenter every night.
B
BerliNY
The other day on SportsCenter they did a bit about Griner and the anchor said rattled off some meaningless stats and then said "and 13 career dunks!"



That really is impressive and it's more career dunks than I have, but anyone who thinks that a slow, lightweight player with zero vertical could make it in the NBA, D-League, or anywhere else besides 2A High School Ball is out to lunch, willfully ignorant, or getting free pub.



Mika would destroy Griner but I would absolutely pay $50 to watch it on ppv.
C
Cougarbib
I think the thing that drove my son to work as hard as he did to make the varsity basketball team was after his cousin beat him in a 1 on 1 when we visited them on vacation when he was about 10 or 11. OK - she had home court advantage. Never under-estimate anyone.



But yeah - mt son became a much better player and yeah - I think Mika will edge her out - unless he takes her too lightly.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Q
Qman
My only personal experience with this sort of thing was a pick up game with couple of 6' or 6'1" women who claimed to be former college players. They weren't super thick but I am sure they out weighted me by 20-30 lbs.



I was 5'8" and about 140 lbs. I was fairly athletic - ie I could jump and grab the rim 10 times in row. But I couldn't dunk-stupid tiny hands.

At that time I was training for a triathlon and doing cross fit style workouts.

Anyway these women tried to post me repeatedly. When they tried to bump me to put up a shot I absorbed they bump and blocked their shots over and over and over again.



I am sure there are exceptions but I would expect D-1 male athletes to have a simliar athletic advantage.
B
BerliNY
Qman wrote:
My only personal experience with this sort of thing was a pick up game with couple of 6' or 6'1" women who claimed to be former college players. They won't super thick but I am sure they out weighted me by 20-30 lbs.



I was 5'8" and about 140 lbs. I was fairly athletic - ie I could jump and grab the rim 10 times in row. But I couldn't dunk-stupid tiny hands.

At that time I was training for a triathlon and doing cross fit style workouts.

Anyway these women tried to post me repeatedly. When they tried to bump me to put up a shot I absorbed they bump and blocked their shots over and over and over again.



I am sure there are exceptions but I would expect D-1 male athletes to have a simliar athletic advantage.


Good point. I love soccer but whenever I turn on the TV to a women's soccer game the first thing I think of is that it looks like it's in slow motion. The camera angles are so wide and close-ups are so rare that you really can't tell if you're watching men or women. But the speed of the game is so so different and that's the give away. NFL players talk about the speed of the game being faster than college and college players always say how the speed of the game is so much faster than high school. I don't see much of a difference speed wise on TV between college and NFL football, so if I'm seeing it between men's and women's soccer that makes me think that the difference is on the field huuuuge.



Just for comparison, the record for the boy's high-school track 100m dash is 10.08s, the women's world record (set by roided out American and East German chicks in the mid 80s and never touched since) is 10.47. The difference is even bigger for 200m. Even the 2012 Utah State Boy's 100m champion (not a state known for its sprinters) would have won the olympics that year if he had run against women.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.