Archived Topic

Hate to say it,

by snoscythe · 4/3/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
but the NIT Semifinal was about the equivalent of what BYU could have expected in the first round of the NCAA--neutral floor, quality opponent.



I'll look at this NIT run the same as I would a first-round NCAA exit, but with the added excitement of padding the win column and playing some fun home games in late-March against low-tier conference regular season champions.
C
Cougs_Rule
They just lacked urgency as a team in the second half. But hey, this spoon full of sugar helped the medicine go down. Could have been much worse with an unmotivated one and done in the NIT.
S
snoscythe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
But hey, this spoon full of sugar helped the medicine go down.


Agreed. While competition-wise I think it's the same as a first-round NCAA exit, it's a night-and-day difference in how we perceive this season after this little NIT run.
N
nuk13
I liked it a lot better than one and done in the ncaa. Next year looks good as well and this ending will help.
C
craigoscarson
Baylor is not a good matchup for us. In spite of that on a neutral court, it was basically a coinflip today.



I liked our chances against Iowa or Maryland even though I don't think Baylor will beat either of them. We've been a 2/3 complement to Haws short all season from a real good team. Let's hope Halford or Delgado (or would it be too much to ask that KC comes back as easily from his mission as Haws?) becomes that guy next season.



After watching the freshman banger from Michigan, I'm fully confident that Mika and Worthington will be just fine if our guards grow up next year. I'm less confident that Austin and Harward will improve, but I'm hoping.



I'm much much happier with this NIT run than a 1st rd exit in the dance this year. It was a confidence builder.
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
craigoscarson wrote:
Baylor is not a good matchup for us. In spite of that on a neutral court, it was basically a coinflip today.



I liked our chances against Iowa or Maryland even though I don't think Baylor will beat either of them. We've been a 2/3 complement to Haws short all season from a real good team. Let's hope Halford or Delgado (or would it be too much to ask that KC comes back as easily from his mission as Haws?) becomes that guy next season.



After watching the freshman banger from Michigan, I'm fully confident that Mika and Worthington will be just fine if our guards grow up next year. I'm less confident that Austin and Harward will improve, but I'm hoping.



I'm much much happier with this NIT run than a 1st rd exit in the dance this year. It was a confidence builder.


Agreed on all points.



With our history of 1st round exits from the NCAA tourney, another one to end a year like this would have been a real downer during the offseason. In the future, especially after seeing Jimmer's senior year, I hope we no longer consider it a success to "just get in", hopefully the taste(s) of post-season success will help drive more of it in the future.
I
Isola
Yeah I actually liked this year's post season. Not as much as the trip to the Sweet Sixteen, but probably a little more than last year's play-in win, first round loss. (I know technically it was a first round win and second round loss, but we know what it was).



The trouble is that in terms of the best teams, BYU is frequently between 30-50 which paired with no-Sunday play results in playing as the underdog far from home in the first round of the NCAA, which typically ends in a competitive loss. If BYU can't get an 8 seed or better, then I don't mind them playing and winning some games in the NIT.
N
nuk13
I feel Austin's 11 rebound effort and all of his post season performance indicates a definite improvement over the rest of the year. If he can pick up next fall where he's left off now and Miki can get into a good level, BYU will be strong in the post next year. I'd also like to see Austin put on some muscle. Miki I think, is listed at 230 lbs. and I don't think they'll push him around. I'd like to know more about Worthington. Collinsworth can help there too if he gets his legs back.



I too am more pleased with this NIT run that what we usually get out of the NCAA. The team came together and played at a significantly higher level that in the season. I'd like our chances in a rematch with anyone in the WCC. I'm an optimist about next season as well.
C
Cougs_Rule
It's Mika, with an a. Unless you know about some nickname that I don't.



But yes, Austin has shown what he's capable of. And while not strong on post moves, kind of like Noah, he will form a nice synergy with Mika, who does have a better low post game.
N
nuk13
Cougs_Rule wrote:
It's Mika, with an a. Unless you know about some nickname that I don't.



But yes, Austin has shown what he's capable of. And while not strong on post moves, kind of like Noah, he will form a nice synergy with Mika, who does have a better low post game.


Thanks. It'd be great to know a kid that has a good chance to be an All American but I don't. (Actually I did. My cousin was of this caliber but ran into a bad coach.) You'd think a 4 letter name would be easier for me.



I like this idea of synergy. I'd rather have 2 guys getting 24 points and 12 rebounds than one getting 22 and 10. If at least one other guy can fill in it'll be tough for anybody to get much in the paint or out rebound us. That coupled with Haws and Carlino running around the perimeter and Collingsworth winging (pun) it both inside and outside and others filling in I'm pretty excited about 2013-14.



I think there's an outside chance that some of the kids Lone Peak has played against will want to team with them.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.