Archived Topic

Heaps decided to transfer mid-2011

by snoscythe · 4/1/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I know it's a sore subject to bring up Heaps, but in a recent interview with a KU fansite, Heaps said there was a specific moment where he knew he was going to transfer "late in the season," but that he kept on with the team at BYU and was fortunate to play a "few games after that."



So, while Heaps said he only made the decision after the bowl game, and still trying to sell it as a late season decision, but looking at the schedule for 2011, it looks like he would have to have made that decision in early to mid-October...with 5+ games remaining.



If that's the case, he's a bigger quitter than I thought he was.
S
SpiffCoug
Just my opinion, but I think Heaps decided to transfer almost immediately after getting home from the Utah St game. And then when he was told he wouldn't start vs San Jose St, it confirmed the decision in his mind.



I have nothing to base this on, just my opinion.



It might also explain, why he wasn't all that good when he came against Idaho St. He wasn't mentally ready to play. He had a 117.96 PER vs Idaho St. But when he came in against Idaho and NM St, he was much more mentally ready after realizing that he checked out too early.



So props to him to getting his head back in the game, but no props for deciding to leave in the first place.



BYU could be in a much better place going into 2013 with him here and would have been in a much better place last year as well.



Just my opinion, but I think Heaps wins the Utah, Boise and SJSU gmaes - at a minimum with Heaps. He possibly could have won the OS game as well. Just like we would have lost four more games in 2011, w/ Heaps, I think we could have won four more games with him in 2012.
A
ABYUFAN
"Just know what made me me, what made me great"


Gotta love his humility....
D
DarthMagnus
The dude made a decision he thought was best. Why are people so obsessed with assassinating his character? I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.



If he were coming to BYU from Kansas the tune would be totally different.



Freaking get over yourselves and this "god's true team" complex and let it go. People make mistakes. People change their minds. People change their course. And most HEALTHY people eventually move on.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think we could have won four more games with any healthy quarterback in 2012.


Fixed it for you.
J
jonnylingo
DarthMagnus wrote:
The dude made a decision he thought was best. Why are people so obsessed with assassinating his character? I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.



If he were coming to BYU from Kansas the tune would be totally different.



Freaking get over yourselves and this "god's true team" complex and let it go. People make mistakes. People change their minds. People change their course. And most HEALTHY people eventually move on.


Word. The Heaps hate here at CC nearly ended my interest in the board all together. I would prefer to let it die. Heaps has been nothing but class. Next time Van noy single handedly wins a game for us maybe thank heaps for bringing him to byu.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
I think we could have won four more games with any healthy quarterback in 2012.


Fixed it for you.


Agree. And given that every QB who played in 2012 except Alex Kuresa who took about 1 snap was injured in 2 games or less, even Jake woukd likely have gone down given his lack of mobility. Maybe that is why he transferred.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think we could have won four more games with any healthy quarterback in 2012.


Fixed it for you.


Agree. And given that every QB who played in 2012 except Alex Kuresa who took about 1 snap was injured in 2 games or less, even Jake woukd likely have gone down given his lack of mobility. Maybe that is why he transferred.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ahhh. Wisdom finally starts to breaks its way into the "Heaps was a quitter" crowd.
S
SpiffCoug
DarthMagnus wrote:
The dude made a decision he thought was best. Why are people so obsessed with assassinating his character? I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.



If he were coming to BYU from Kansas the tune would be totally different.



Freaking get over yourselves and this "god's true team" complex and let it go. People make mistakes. People change their minds. People change their course. And most HEALTHY people eventually move on.

Exactly. Because transferring TO BYU is totally different than transferring FROM BYU. In fact they are polar opposites, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that we fans would be excited for a talented player JOINING the program and upset for a talented player LEAVING the program.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
DarthMagnus wrote:




I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.




Now that's a bold and hostile statement from a guy that is decrying the hostility shown towards Heaps. I agree, some posters have been over the top. But, I also agree, and think, Heaps showed an immature attitude by transferring. It's an important lesson to learn in life, not everything goes as we plan, or desire. Character is built in dealing with the adversity we face.



Also, anything I would post here, I would say directly to Jake Heaps face - and I would have no concern about him emasculating me.
C
Cougy_Monster
DarthMagnus wrote:
I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.


This made me laugh out loud. Seriously. I don't care why Heaps left. I think he is/was over-rated but I had high hopes for him based on the confidence our coaching staff had in him during the recruiting process. I wish him the best of luck no matter where he plays. But I can't imagine him emasculating anyone. Maybe you know him personally or something, but I haven't seen anything on the field that would make me think he can emasculate anyone except himself. He had NO fire on the field while at BYU. He looked timid and uncertain -- like a boy among men. There's a reason why coaches don't like to play underclassmen at QB.


DarthMagnus wrote:
Freaking get over yourselves and this "god's true team" complex and let it go.


I can't stand it when people say stuff like this. Assuming that some "god's true team" complex is the reason why fans dislike the whole Heaps debacle is downright bigoted of you. What an asinine and irresponsible assertion on your part. Only small people throw around insults like yours or call people "self-righteous" or pull the race card against people of differing opinions. It's such a weak way to live.



When LeBron left Cleveland the Cavs fans were pissed but nobody like you rose up with some lame insult about a "god's true team" complex because rational people understand that there is a sense of betrayal when athletes jump ship to greener pastures but expect fans to support them when they suck/lose. Those fans who will stick with their team no matter what expect nothing more than the players to do the same. Its not complicated. And sure, the fans and players can switch allegiances (and they do) but anyone who expects that to be well-received among the loyal fans/players left behind is just not realistic.



Fans, and people in general, respect those who stick through tough situations. Lots of athletes EARN respect and a good reputation. Hopefully Heaps will have the opportunity to earn some himself. But you can't honestly be pissed that no BYU has a Heaps poster anymore and no dad uses Heaps' story to teach his kids about teamwork. Maybe that'll change -- I hope so. But seriously, relax a bit in the meantime and try not to take things so personally. And for sanity's sake, leave religion out of your football rants.
J
jonnylingo
Ddawg wrote:




I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.




Now that's a bold and hostile statement from a guy that is decrying the hostility shown towards Heaps. I agree, some posters have been over the top. But, I also agree, and think, Heaps showed an immature attitude by transferring. It's an important lesson to learn in life, not everything goes as we plan, or desire. Character is built in dealing with the adversity we face.



Also, anything I would post here, I would say directly to Jake Heaps face - and I would have no concern about him emasculating me.


who are you to say he was immature to transferring. you don't have any idea what was going on with the team. it was the right decision and in my opinion the only decision for him at that point.
C
Cougs_Rule
Let's see--



Doman quit Heaps...

Heaps "quit" BYU...

Doman nor Bronco would quit Riley...

Bronco quit Doman...

Bronco quit the entire O coaching staff...

Hmmm, looks to me like Heaps beat Bronco and BYU to the punch. Stupid, impulsive, kid, with his stupid, selfish advisors. :roll:
C
Cougarbib
I think Darth went way over the top. I would be happy to have Jake over to my house and discuss my comments made over the last few years. I am nearing the 62 year mark, and I would trust that it would be a discussion - not a brawl.



But the religion think does come up from many angles and cuts both ways re BYU football.



There have been great debates re to serve or not to serve and whether playing is a special mission - BTW D News recently posted that Stake President told a very prominent basketball recruit who leaves in a week or two that the Church would not have been angry had he chosen to serve a special mission by playing. This gets a huge debate amongst fans.



There are posters on CC that are BYU fans but not members of the Church, not active members and even some who never attended BYU. I have seen them take offense at things posted on here that assumed we all had common beliefs and were all alumni.



My favotite peeve are the ones that seem to assume that BYU is entitled to Win NC, Heisman, etc., every time we get a QB who can walk and breathe and throw a deep spiral at the same time even though we have very ordinary recruiting classes year after year.



The character of every LDS and especially non LDS member who chooses to go elsewhere suffers from bombardment of assumptions about grades, HC worthiness, etc. I have called one or two arrogant and Pompous. Chris Burgess mom.



It goes on and on.



This is too bad. God probably only cares that we remain humble, work hard for what we get, be thankful for opportunities, etc.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
jonnylingo wrote:
DarthMagnus wrote:




I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.




Now that's a bold and hostile statement from a guy that is decrying the hostility shown towards Heaps. I agree, some posters have been over the top. But, I also agree, and think, Heaps showed an immature attitude by transferring. It's an important lesson to learn in life, not everything goes as we plan, or desire. Character is built in dealing with the adversity we face.



Also, anything I would post here, I would say directly to Jake Heaps face - and I would have no concern about him emasculating me.


who are you to say he was immature to transferring. you don't have any idea what was going on with the team. it was the right decision and in my opinion the only decision for him at that point.


A bit upset are you? Got your panties in a bind? Who are you to think I don't have inside information to know what was going on? What are you going to do now - challenge me to a fight? LOL! Come over and write dirty words in my front lawn? Ha ha ha? Step back from the ledge - take a breath.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Ya, Johnny, who are you to think that Ddawg doesn't have inside info? How dare you! You are as immature as Heaps for assuming that Ddawg doesn't have inside info. I mean that is pretty commonly known right? And even if it weren't how dare you confront Ddawg for playing the "I'm going to fake like i have inside info when I really don't" card because all I have otherwise is my uninformed, unsubstantiated opinion masquerading as facts. How dare you Johnny. You need a good ole fashion CC time-out for such behavior and for defending the Scurrilous, quitting, "immature" Traitor, Heaps.
S
Schmoe
Seems like there are a lot of assumptions being made on both sides. I didn't see anyone come close to even implying that this is "God's team" (notice how the "G" is capitalized) or anything that Heaps has said or done that would indicate to anyone definitively why he transferred. He's gone, he's not a good qb, we don't need to dwell on it. Done.
D
Ddawg
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Ya, Johnny, who are you to think that Ddawg doesn't have inside info? How dare you! You are as immature as Heaps for assuming that Ddawg doesn't have inside info. I mean that is pretty commonly known right? And even if it weren't how dare you confront Ddawg for playing the "I'm going to fake like i have inside info when I really don't" card because all I have otherwise is my uninformed, unsubstantiated opinion masquerading as facts. How dare you Johnny. You need a good ole fashion CC time-out for such behavior and for defending the Scurrilous, quitting, "immature" Traitor, Heaps.


Exactly. 8)
A
ABYUFAN
DarthMagnus wrote:
The dude made a decision he thought was best. Why are people so obsessed with assassinating his character? I doubt they'd have the balls to say it to his face as he'd probably freaking emasculate them if they did.



If he were coming to BYU from Kansas the tune would be totally different.



Freaking get over yourselves and this "god's true team" complex and let it go. People make mistakes. People change their minds. People change their course. And most HEALTHY people eventually move on.

I didn't see any "character assassination" going on in this thread, just discussing his actual comments about the school that he transferred from. It is relevant for this message board to discuss all things BYU, and these are his statements regarding BYU. We didn't open this door, and we don't have to ignore it now that it's open. I guess that I should say “I’m sorry that this bothers you” but I’m not really that sorry. He transferred from BYU, he’s making comments about that transfer, we’re BYU fans, we get to talk about it… it’s not out of bounds.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.