Archived Topic

Alford to UCLA......ha ha ha

by beauso79 · 3/30/2013

Advertisement
B
beauso79
Idiots ---- good luck with that
C
craigoscarson
UCLA is just not a good job anymore. SoCal has a million more things to offer than a so so college team in a pro town and an entertainment town... UCLA is well down the list, even if they have the greatest pedigree.



UNM.... well they can take a flying leap. To me this is a win win. UCLA will not prosper with Alford, UNM will not prosper without him
C
Cougarbib
craigoscarson wrote:
UCLA is just not a good job anymore. SoCal has a million more things to offer than a so so college team in a pro town and an entertainment town... UCLA is well down the list, even if they have the greatest pedigree.



UNM.... well they can take a flying leap. To me this is a win win. UCLA will not prosper with Alford, UNM will not prosper without him


He wasn't even UCLA's first choice. I suspect that the pay raise will be big enough to help him cope with that fact. I agree that UCLA is no longer the prime Job that it was when John Wooden had them as the winningest program in the nation - but then what job is?



UCLA can dominate USC in basketball and compete in PAC. Anything more than that is gravy and UCLA is a far better job than New Mexico. Media. Endorsements.



I agree that Lakers and Clippers and Bikinis attract more viewers - But UCLA is a decent GIG out west.



Now - Vs Duke, NC, KU, different story.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I wonder if he called Gary Anderson on how to take a job at a bigger school immediately after signing a big extension?
C
Cougarbib
I do not follow UCLA closely, but had seen that one coach back east had turned UCLA down. The news last night said Alford was UCLA's 3rd choice.



Interestingly, an early bounce from the Big Dance was the final straw that got the UCLA coach fired, so they replaced him with a coach who suffered a huge upset loss in The Big Dance.



We will see what Alford is able to do, but he should be able to recruit decent players in LA.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
I believe both Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens turned the job down
N
northerncougar
craigoscarson wrote:
UCLA is just not a good job anymore. SoCal has a million more things to offer than a so so college team in a pro town and an entertainment town... UCLA is well down the list, even if they have the greatest pedigree.



UNM.... well they can take a flying leap. To me this is a win win. UCLA will not prosper with Alford, UNM will not prosper without him


Agree. Until now I didn't care about UCLA. Now I hope they fail miserably. I have always hoped that for UNM.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
A no class program just got a no class coach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I heard that they're going to have to reduce seating at UCLA by about 200 because they need room for Alford's ego.
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:
I heard that they're going to have to reduce seating at UCLA by about 200 because they need room for Alford's ego.


+1. He'll fit right in with the oversized ego's that float around So. Cal.
Advertisement
I
Isola
craigoscarson wrote:
To me this is a win win. UCLA will not prosper with Alford, UNM will not prosper without him

That is what brings a smile to my face.



Alford may get a big paycheck, but I am guessing it isn't for more than a few years. The only way to keep your job at a place like UCLA is to to keep winning championships.



I don't know why more coaches don't do what Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens have chosen to do. In basketball you don't need a big school or even a big conference. Those things just bring big expectations and short tenures. Besides, money goes a lot further in Indianapolis than in LA. Stay at the small school and take them to an occasional Sweet Sixteen and they will name the arena after you. Coach at UCLA and make 3 Final Fours and they will fire you 5 years later.



Then again I guess this does make sense for Alford. New Mexico is neither a big school, nor in a big conference, but they still have big expectations.
G
Guest
Isola wrote:
To me this is a win win. UCLA will not prosper with Alford, UNM will not prosper without him

That is what brings a smile to my face.



Alford may get a big paycheck, but I am guessing it isn't for more than a few years. The only way to keep your job at a place like UCLA is to to keep winning championships.



I don't know why more coaches don't do what Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens have chosen to do. In basketball you don't need a big school or even a big conference. Those things just bring big expectations and short tenures. Besides, money goes a lot further in Indianapolis than in LA. Stay at the small school and take them to an occasional Sweet Sixteen and they will name the arena after you. Coach at UCLA and make 3 Final Fours and they will fire you 5 years later.



Then again I guess this does make sense for Alford. New Mexico is neither a big school, nor in a big conference, but they still have big expectations.


Plus New Mexico is a terrible place to live.
C
crazycougar84601
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wonder if he called Gary Anderson on how to take a job at a bigger school immediately after signing a big extension?




Maybe he found out his contract with UNM required him joining the coulmbia record club...."whoh, now hold on a minute! im just not ready for that kind of a commitment"....but thats just the way things go in Albuquerque
S
Schmoe
crazycougar84601 wrote:
I wonder if he called Gary Anderson on how to take a job at a bigger school immediately after signing a big extension?




Maybe he found out his contract with UNM required him joining the coulmbia record club...."whoh, now hold on a minute! im just not ready for that kind of a commitment"....but thats just the way things go in Albuquerque


Where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer

And the towels are oh so fluffy

Where the Shriners and the lepers play their ukuleles all day long

And anyone on the street will gladly shave your back for a nickel
H
HoosierCougar
Schmoe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wonder if he called Gary Anderson on how to take a job at a bigger school immediately after signing a big extension?




Maybe he found out his contract with UNM required him joining the coulmbia record club...."whoh, now hold on a minute! im just not ready for that kind of a commitment"....but thats just the way things go in Albuquerque


Where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer

And the towels are oh so fluffy

Where the Shriners and the lepers play their ukuleles all day long

And anyone on the street will gladly shave your back for a nickel

I! HATE! SAUERKRAUT!
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
HoosierCougar wrote:
crazycougar84601 wrote:
I wonder if he called Gary Anderson on how to take a job at a bigger school immediately after signing a big extension?




Maybe he found out his contract with UNM required him joining the coulmbia record club...."whoh, now hold on a minute! im just not ready for that kind of a commitment"....but thats just the way things go in Albuquerque


Where the sun is always shining and the air smells like warm root beer

And the towels are oh so fluffy

Where the Shriners and the lepers play their ukuleles all day long

And anyone on the street will gladly shave your back for a nickel

I! HATE! SAUERKRAUT!

It's GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.