Archived Topic

BYU tops in fans

by EM_Puma · 3/20/2013

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
NIT games and attendance in descending order:



(home team bold)

Washington/BYU 7511

Norfolk St/Virginia 4790

Niagara/Maryland 4053

Kentucky/Robt Morris 3444

St John/St Joseph 3148

LA Tech/Florida St 2989

OH University/Denver 2094

SF Austin/Stanford 1050



For the NCAA play-in games I'm a little confused. For the NC A&T/Liberty game they note attendance as "N/A". For the St Mary's C vs Middle TN at the same Dayton Arena it notes attendance as 12,027. I have to believe that is a cumulative attendance for the two games played, but even at an average of 6K, that's not bad for those fan bases.



The stats above definitly, in my mind, contributed to why BYU was a #3 seed home team.
G
Guest
Kind of looked like BYU had a bigger crowd than that. The lower bowl looked pretty well filled in on ESPN.
C
Cougarbib
One of the best match-ups of the year. Should have been a sell-out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Except Mormons have a lot of prior committments. Sports/family/church/community events.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
Except Mormons have a lot of prior committments. Sports/family/church/community events.


The game was on ESPN. Great for us out-of-area fans. Great for lical fans too, apparently.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I sent Jay Drew an email asking him if he said in his article



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56032193-88/byu-carlino-washington-points.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"...in front of a disappointing crowd of 7,511 at the Marriott Center...", then what should all the other NIT tournament teams feel since the closest other school to our 7,511 was still almost 3K less. Should they be "totally devestated'?



I dont' know if he'll answer, but I doubt it.
C
Cougarbib
EM_Puma wrote:
I sent Jay Drew an email asking him if he said in his article



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/56032193-88/byu-carlino-washington-points.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"...in front of a disappointing crowd of 7,511 at the Marriott Center...", then what should all the other NIT tournament teams feel since the closest other school to our 7,511 was still almost 3K less. Should they be "totally devestated'?



I dont' know if he'll answer, but I doubt it.


Most NIT teams are disappointed to find themselves there and it shows in the attendance. All of the fair-weather fans that were so sure BYU would lose that they thought the season was already over will re-think and watch, if televised, or attend the next one.



It was also disappointing that all of those PAC fans up north did not drive down to support their PAC Mates.



BYU had a chance to make an enormous statement and chose to make a large one instead. It is a minor disappointment, relatively speaking.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
NCAA playin games do not necessarily reflect the teams fan bases. First there are four teams at each venue instead of Two. Second, there will be a lot of basketball fans that show up at these to experience an NCAA tournament game. So, I think BYU showed up pretty well.
B
BYULV
Cougarbib wrote:
One of the best match-ups of the year. Should have been a sell-out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


There is no way this should have been a sellout on 2 days notice. The students showed up as did a lot of the community. To get 20k there on short notice is asking a lot. I expect well over 10k for the next game, wouldn't be surprised if they were able to sell 15k+. A sellout would be an over the top showing.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
One of the best match-ups of the year. Should have been a sell-out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


There is no way this should have been a sellout on 2 days notice. The students showed up as did a lot of the community. To get 20k there on short notice is asking a lot. I expect well over 10k for the next game, wouldn't be surprised if they were able to sell 15k+. A sellout would be an over the top showing.


My son went. Said it was the first game he attended this year. I thought the PAC would have sold it out on their own. TIC. Obviously, a sellout would be an enormous statement. Simply enormous. And NIT control may limit giveaways, but if BYU wanted to send a message to PAC or BIG - they had ESPN and the entire country watching.



I know - football is 5th priority making basketball 6th.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
One of the best match-ups of the year. Should have been a sell-out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


There is no way this should have been a sellout on 2 days notice. The students showed up as did a lot of the community. To get 20k there on short notice is asking a lot. I expect well over 10k for the next game, wouldn't be surprised if they were able to sell 15k+. A sellout would be an over the top showing.


My son went. Said it was the first game he attended this year. I thought the PAC would have sold it out on their own. TIC. Obviously, a sellout would be an enormous statement. Simply enormous. And NIT control may limit giveaways, but if BYU wanted to send a message to PAC or BIG - they had ESPN and the entire country watching.



I know - football is 5th priority making basketball 6th.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Watches Asu and Tennessee home games tonight and neither on appeared to have nearly as many fans as BYU did. ASU was maybe 25% filled?
E
EM_Puma
Attendance at NIT games on Wednesday, March 20th:



Indiana St/Iowa 15,400

Stony Brook/Massachusetts 2,173

Charlotte/Providence 4,953

Mercer/Tennessee 4,468

Long Beach St/Baylor 4,034

Charleston Southern (CSU)/So. Miss 5,018

Detroit/Arizona St 3,519



First round tops were:

1) University of Iowa 15,400

2) BYU 7,511

3) So. Miss 5,018



Hats off to Iowa. Indiana St. fans would have had to travel 5 hrs 19 mins (334 miles), so I have to imagine that the huge attendance figure were mainly Iowa fans. PUKE12 had pretty dismal attendance in their games.
I
IowaCougar
Iowa managed a sellout for their first-round game despite the disappointment of not making it to the tourney. That was with the students on spring break (attendance 15,400). Frankly, that surprised me, but the fans of Iowa and Iowa State are pretty fanatic.



Other than that on Wednesday:

UMass - 2,173

Providence - 4,953

Tennessee - 4,468 (that's disappointing - it showed in the result)

Baylor - 4,034

Southern Miss - 5,018

ASU - 3,519 (those PAC schools really bring them in, don't they?)



Overall, I think BYU did a great job on short notice of filling the lower bowl with fans. I hope they can fill the place for Monday and show Iowa that they have a better fan base.



Iowa is playing again on Saturday, and I'm guessing it will be another sell-out.
I
IowaCougar
EM_Puma wrote:
Attendance at NIT games on Wednesday, March 20th:



Indiana St/Iowa 15,400

Stony Brook/Massachusetts 2,173

Charlotte/Providence 4,953

Mercer/Tennessee 4,468

Long Beach St/Baylor 4,034

Charleston Southern (CSU)/So. Miss 5,018

Detroit/Arizona St 3,519



First round tops were:

1) University of Iowa 15,400

2) BYU 7,511

3) So. Miss 5,018





Hats off to Iowa. Indiana St. fans would have had to travel 5 hrs 19 mins (334 miles), so I have to imagine that the huge attendance figure were mainly Iowa fans. PUKE12 had pretty dismal attendance in their games.


It looks like you beat me to it. Sorry about the seeming double-post.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
The atmosphere at the UW game was great. Not quite to the level of the Gonzaga or St. Mary's games, but it was a better atmosphere than most other WCC home games that had twice the fans. Packing 7,500 close to the court makes for some excitement.



Even if we ONLY get 7,500 fans again on Monday, I expect another great atmosphere.
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
BYULV wrote:
One of the best match-ups of the year. Should have been a sell-out.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


There is no way this should have been a sellout on 2 days notice. The students showed up as did a lot of the community. To get 20k there on short notice is asking a lot. I expect well over 10k for the next game, wouldn't be surprised if they were able to sell 15k+. A sellout would be an over the top showing.


My son went. Said it was the first game he attended this year. I thought the PAC would have sold it out on their own. TIC. Obviously, a sellout would be an enormous statement. Simply enormous. And NIT control may limit giveaways, but if BYU wanted to send a message to PAC or BIG - they had ESPN and the entire country watching.



I know - football is 5th priority making basketball 6th.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Watches Asu and Tennessee home games tonight and neither on appeared to have nearly as many fans as BYU did. ASU was maybe 25% filled?


That is the issue. The major conference team fans are not excited to be here and the other teams have small fan bases.



BYU fans did very well - relatively speaking. But think what a statement they could have made



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Cougarbib wrote:
That is the issue. The major conference team fans are not excited to be here[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


For that reason alone I would have rather faced Tennessee. Mercer has reason to be much more motivated than the Volunteers ever would have, especially if they would have been traveling to Provo.
C
Cougarbib
YNot wrote:
The atmosphere at the UW game was great. Not quite to the level of the Gonzaga or St. Mary's games, but it was a better atmosphere than most other WCC home games that had twice the fans. Packing 7,500 close to the court makes for some excitement.



Even if we ONLY get 7,500 fans again on Monday, I expect another great atmosphere.


Tickets are $10 for public. $4 for students. Free for students with All Sports Passes. $50 Courtside. Professors should give 4 extra credit points to any student that attends TIC.



I think BYU attendance will increase even without the Huge PAC contingent because



The Team Won unexpectedly for most fans and the Big 3 put on quite a fireworks display.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.