Archived Topic

What's the NIT worth poll

by Stirfry · 3/18/2013

Advertisement
S
Stirfry
Not considering losing our NCAA appearance streak, how many NIT wins do you need to replace missing out on the NCAA tourney with this team? This is if you know we will lose our 1st round of the NCAA so there's no hope involved that you might get a 16-1 upset.
A
ABYUFAN
I was figuring we were NIT for quite some time now, so I'm not sure any of the above really match, but I chose gettign a trip to NYC because, a couple of wins and a trip to NYC is fun for the kids and the program
S
Stirfry
I'm some where between the NIT sweet 16 and the elite 8. The NCAA is where it's at but the NIT is kind of a strange tournament given that it's not the 67th-99th best teams but more like the 35th-67th best teams given the auto bids.



Even a trip to the elite 8 in the NIT will give us little if any meaningful recognition but I feel like it gives the players great experiance and something for coaches to use in recruiting. If they win in the elite 8 and reached the NIT final 4 I feel like the might be the equivalent to a first round loss in the NCAA.
G
Guest
Interesting question. I can see how the NIT certainly lacks luster, but any wins are good for the program and practice time, but to make up for missing the NCAA I think you need 2 wins.
G
Gunk
I've often wondered how the final 8 teams in the NIT would perform in the NCAA tourney.



Clearly, there are some NCAA tourney teams that aren't as good as NIT bound teams. But, how far would the NIT champion go in the NCAA tourney?
Advertisement
Q
Qman
hawkwing wrote:
Interesting question. I can see how the NIT certainly lacks luster, but any wins are good for the program and practice time, but to make up for missing the NCAA I think you need 2 wins.


I think the additional practice time could be valuable.
S
snoscythe
Ask UW since they made it to the semis last year.....just to return as a 6 seed the next year.
E
EM_Puma
Qman wrote:
I think the additional practice time could be valuable.


It would seem that only good can come from at least making the NIT. As noted, there are many teams in this group far better than the NCAA tournament teams, but that's how they roll. I would have to imagine than ANY additional practice time has to be advantageous. It just has to be or someone is not doing their jobs. Teams like Puktah have cleared out their lockers for the season and we still have a meaningful game tonight.



Go Cougs! :crazy:
Q
Qman
Now that I think about it more- I think doing will in the NIT could help make our season look better to recruits. We had a bad season a but will still made it to NYC in against good competition. It could work as long as we return to the NCAA's next year.
S
Stirfry
I have to say I'm liking the NIT more and more over a first round loss in the NCAA's. Maybe we've been spoiled and just making the NCAA tourney should be a bigger deal but this post season has been much more entertaining than playing one game on the big stage. Hopefully we're back to the tourney next year but I think it's been good for our team to be in the NIT this year.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
HOw does winning 2 NIT games compare financially to merely appearing in the 1st round of the NCAA?
I
Isola
Personally I like to see the season finish with at least a post season win, whether it is the first round of the NIT or even the play-in round of the NCAA. I preferred last year to all the years on losing in the first round as a 13 seed.



I just got so sick of making the NCAA as a double digit seed (a spot or two lower than we deserved because of Sunday play), playing an hour's drive from the our opponent's campus, losing in the first round (often closely) and then have to listen to pundits who claimed we had no business there in the first place.



I prefer a win or two in the NIT to that crap.
S
Stirfry
vancouvercougar wrote:
HOw does winning 2 NIT games compare financially to merely appearing in the 1st round of the NCAA?


My guess is that it cost teams a lot of money to win NIT games.



This article from ESPN talks about how NCAA teams lose money even with the large amount of money being thrown around in that tournament. I'd guess NIT teams probably travel 1/2 the people to the games but work on 1/20 of the budget (if that).



http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9108559/ken-kavanagh-hoping-travel-costly-florida-gulf-coast



I guess it comes down to what BYU values the free marketing, exposure, and practice time they're getting out of it.
C
Cougs_Rule
As do all the teams in the NCAA. When is the last time an NIT invite declined. I remember talk about a team not wanting to a few years back, but I'm sure it cost most teams. However, BYU had the benefit of two at home with o travel cost. And I would assume that final four teams get a little but more in the NIT than early rounds.
N
nuk13
hawkwing wrote:
Interesting question. I can see how the NIT certainly lacks luster, but any wins are good for the program and practice time, but to make up for missing the NCAA I think you need 2 wins.

And we've won 3. I like it far better than the one and done we are used to. It isn't just the winning it's how they're playing. At the end of the regular season the team was out of sinc and listless. Now they are playing with energy and are very hard to handle. I'd like to see more of the team involved but at least Zylstra and Austin have steped up. In the mean time, even our #1 friends are home watching.



When the post season awards come out this streak can't hurt Haws, Davis or Carlino. The pre 2013-14 magazines ought to have Haws in the top 10 players returning with some mention for Carlino.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.