Archived Topic

Bronco about last year

by cougarblue333 · 11/24/2009

Advertisement
C
cougarblue333
There's just been a lot of discussion out there about a couple of comments that Bronco made referring to the Utah game last year and I wanted to gauge the reaction from other BYU fans who care enough to go to a message board like this one.



First one - The context was Bronco was being asked how many of Hall’s picks were throwing errors, and how many were just great defensive plays by Utah.

Bronco said, “I don’t remember exactly. I haven’t watched that game, since we played it. So, hard to say which was which, other than those were the end results, and we will try to improve it this year."



Second one - Bronco talking about getting the players to not focus on what happened last year. “Oh, I think that there is so much football and so many things that have passed, they probably remember losing the game, but I am not sure they remember specific plays. I remember only maybe one or two plays from the game. So much goes in between a year ago and now, maybe friends and neighbors, they might dwell on it more than even our team. There’s too much here to get ready to play even this week, so I think just by the preparation it helps them keep their mind off whatever, if they had a tendency to lean toward last year.”



That Bronco only remembers 1 or 2 plays from last year doesn't bother me. A football coach has so much on his mind week to week that I don't expect him to remember tons of details from each individual game. But that Bronco hasn't watched the Utah game from last year does bother me a little bit. Obviously some things went very wrong in that game. I'd heard a lot from Bronco about the team evaluating themselves and learning from their mistakes. Wouldn't there be learning "opportunities" in that game? Just wondering what the rest of you think.



Here's to a satisfying win on Saturday.
A
ABYUFAN
cougarblue333 wrote:

First one - The context was Bronco was being asked how many of Hall’s picks were throwing errors, and how many were just great defensive plays by Utah.

Bronco said, “I don’t remember exactly. I haven’t watched that game, since we played it. So, hard to say which was which, other than those were the end results, and we will try to improve it this year."


I wonder what he mans by "haven't watched the game" and if to him "watching the game" is different than "breaking down film." I would guess that he's being a bit misleading here to not throw any palyewrs under the bus.


cougarblue333 wrote:



Second one - Bronco talking about getting the players to not focus on what happened last year. “Oh, I think that there is so much football and so many things that have passed, they probably remember losing the game, but I am not sure they remember specific plays. I remember only maybe one or two plays from the game. So much goes in between a year ago and now, maybe friends and neighbors, they might dwell on it more than even our team. There’s too much here to get ready to play even this week, so I think just by the preparation it helps them keep their mind off whatever, if they had a tendency to lean toward last year.."


"probably" Ha ha ha ha ha I'm quite sure that they do. Again, he's being careful in his words to keep bulletin board material out of the answer.



My guess (and I admit to not having any information, so it is just a guess) is that he's being deliberately misleading.



Which, amazingly enough, I have no problem with…
C
cougarblue333
ABYUFAN wrote:



My guess (and i admit to not having any information, so it is just a guess, is that he's being deliberately misleading.



Which, amazingly enough, I have no problem with…


Weird how I have no problem with that either. All's fair in true love, war, and college football-except for eye-gouging I guess. But then again, that only costs you a half game suspension so maybe that's ok.
B
blue42
ABYUFAN wrote:
My guess (and I admit to not having any information, so it is just a guess) is that he's being deliberately misleading.



Which, amazingly enough, I have no problem with…


Don't let the officials for the game see this because BYU might have a flag throw before the game starts.
Y
Y&Brit
Only one thing needs to be learned from last year



Pass less



We killed them rushing, keep doing that and they don't score. If it wasn't for the pics, we would have won last year
Advertisement
J
jmrmoney
If I was the coach I would get the running game established and then use the passing game as the Utes try and counter. If our running backs carry the load at the beginning and don't fumble that would set the tone perfectly for the Cougars. I do think that the pass defense is probably the strength of the Ute defense (don't really have stats to back that up, just what I've seen).



I look for Max to end up with a very good game with the bulk of the passes completed to Pitta, George, and the RBs.



Go Cougs!
B
BroncoBot
jmrmoney wrote:
If I was the coach I would get the running game established and then use the passing game as the Utes try and counter. If our running backs carry the load at the beginning and don't fumble that would set the tone perfectly for the Cougars. I do think that the pass defense is probably the strength of the Ute defense (don't really have stats to back that up, just what I've seen).



I look for Max to end up with a very good game with the bulk of the passes completed to Pitta, George, and the RBs.



Go Cougs!


AND Chambers, that guy has been coming up big the last couple outings.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.