Archived Topic

Bronco a man crush on Taysom?

by frdbtr · 3/14/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Today in his interview he said that Taysom's 80% looks like everyone elses 100%. Another man crush? Or does bronco just like praising his players in the media?
S
snoscythe
My brother said it best "If he was good enough for Jim Harbaugh to recruit, then he's good enough for me. I might not trust Bronco about quarterbacks anymore, but I'm not going to argue with Jim Harbaugh."
F
frdbtr
I trust bronco on QB's. I think our issue last year was the Oline. If the Oline had played even half as good as our worst coached Oline under Jeff Grimes, Riley doesn't get hurt 6 quarters into the season and we have a much more satisfying year. Everyone is using Riley as a whipping boy because he beat out "the one" who left the team, but he wasn't the real issue last year.



By the way, I think Taysom is going to deliver on all the predictions that Heaps made for himself and rewrite all the record books for BYU QB's.
M
Mars


Hill doesn't look like a DB or a FB out there under center.
M
mizzoucoug
I don't care what Bronco thinks. Taysom is the real deal and will get us to the promised land if we can give him some actual protection.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
I trust bronco on QB's. I think our issue last year was the Oline. If the Oline had played even half as good as our worst coached Oline under Jeff Grimes, Riley doesn't get hurt 6 quarters into the season and we have a much more satisfying year. Everyone is using Riley as a whipping boy because he beat out "the one" who left the team, but he wasn't the real issue last year.



By the way, I think Taysom is going to deliver on all the predictions that Heaps made for himself and rewrite all the record books for BYU QB's.


Still blaming Heaps--even for Riley's sins? Good one. I'm sure Riley feels honored.

Mr "I'm not going to change" didn't need a bad Oline to get hurt. He was still battering into LBs like he was a chihuahua taking on pit bulls. High on "tougher than us all" GRIT, low on skills otherwise required by a QB. Made the most of is chances. Credit Riley! Huge heart. Went down in infamy and all you can do is blame Heaps.

And now you want to further drag Heaps through the mud, extend the bad times by comparing to the future? You need a life. You might be right about THill, but just the last one to figure that out.
S
SpiffCoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I trust bronco on QB's. I think our issue last year was the Oline. If the Oline had played even half as good as our worst coached Oline under Jeff Grimes, Riley doesn't get hurt 6 quarters into the season and we have a much more satisfying year. Everyone is using Riley as a whipping boy because he beat out "the one" who left the team, but he wasn't the real issue last year.



By the way, I think Taysom is going to deliver on all the predictions that Heaps made for himself and rewrite all the record books for BYU QB's.


Still blaming Heaps--even for Riley's sins? Good one. I'm sure Riley feels honored.

Mr "I'm not going to change" didn't need a bad Oline to get hurt. He was still battering into LBs like he was a chihuahua taking on pit bulls. High on "tougher than us all" GRIT, low on skills otherwise required by a QB. Made the most of is chances. Credit Riley! Huge heart. Went down in infamy and all you can do is blame Heaps.

And now you want to further drag Heaps through the mud, extend the bad times by comparing to the future? You need a life. You might be right about THill, but just the last one to figure that out.

I missed the blaming of Heaps for Riley's sins in frdbtr's post.



Here's a Jake stat for you: In his 20 games at BYU where he actually a decent amount (enough playing time to attempt at least 10 passes) he was above the opponent's defensive PER just five times.



In Riley's 19 games, he was above the opponent's defensive PER 11 times.



"But Riley just beat up on the little sisters of the poor"! You're right he did. In his 10 games against teams that won half their games or fewer, he was above those opponent's defensive PER in eight of them.



Jake against teams that were worse than .500 he was above their defensive PER in five of 11 games.



Against teams with a winning record, Riley was above the defensive PER in three of nine games. Jake was never above average against a team with a winning record.



No one is blaming Heaps for Riley's struggles. BOTH players are/were responsible for their own crappy play. The difference, unfortunately, is coaches held Jake a lot more accountable for his own transgressions than Riley. Probably in part, because the coaches knew they had a much more capable backup for Jake in 2011 than they had for Riley in 2012.
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm not sure I would call Riley a capable back up. And I'm not sure the stats support Lark being any less capable of a "back-up" than Riley. They both, however, all three, for that matter, got caught in the QB carousel coaching follies.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I trust bronco on QB's. I think our issue last year was the Oline. If the Oline had played even half as good as our worst coached Oline under Jeff Grimes, Riley doesn't get hurt 6 quarters into the season and we have a much more satisfying year. Everyone is using Riley as a whipping boy because he beat out "the one" who left the team, but he wasn't the real issue last year.



By the way, I think Taysom is going to deliver on all the predictions that Heaps made for himself and rewrite all the record books for BYU QB's.


Still blaming Heaps--even for Riley's sins? Good one. I'm sure Riley feels honored.

Mr "I'm not going to change" didn't need a bad Oline to get hurt. He was still battering into LBs like he was a chihuahua taking on pit bulls. High on "tougher than us all" GRIT, low on skills otherwise required by a QB. Made the most of is chances. Credit Riley! Huge heart. Went down in infamy and all you can do is blame Heaps.

And now you want to further drag Heaps through the mud, extend the bad times by comparing to the future? You need a life. You might be right about THill, but just the last one to figure that out.

I missed the blaming of Heaps for Riley's sins in frdbtr's post.



Here's a Jake stat for you: In his 20 games at BYU where he actually a decent amount (enough playing time to attempt at least 10 passes) he was above the opponent's defensive PER just five times.



In Riley's 19 games, he was above the opponent's defensive PER 11 times.



"But Riley just beat up on the little sisters of the poor"! You're right he did. In his 10 games against teams that won half their games or fewer, he was above those opponent's defensive PER in eight of them.



Jake against teams that were worse than .500 he was above their defensive PER in five of 11 games.



Against teams with a winning record, Riley was above the defensive PER in three of nine games. Jake was never above average against a team with a winning record.



No one is blaming Heaps for Riley's struggles. BOTH players are/were responsible for their own crappy play. The difference, unfortunately, is coaches held Jake a lot more accountable for his own transgressions than Riley. Probably in part, because the coaches knew they had a much more capable backup for Jake in 2011 than they had for Riley in 2012.


There you go again - taking an emotionally charged whine fest and mucking the whole thing up by posting a bunch of ridiculously interesting and objective FACTS. The facts of the matter are......



Nice comparison.



I do think Jake and Riley both suffered at times by being battered through some tough early games so that someone could come in relief just in time to feast on weaker opponents.



If BYU had fielded a mean and nasty OL, a pair of franchise tight ends, franchise FB and RB, and one more dominating WR in 2010, 2011, and 2012 there woyld have been a NC in there somewhere.



But our offense had huge gaps. Oh - and a field goal kicker.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
The facts are both guys stunk the vast majority of their time as starters.



Just 14 games for BYU with a PER above 135 the last three years or 35.9% of the time. Jake met the mark just six in 20 games and Riley in just 10 of 19. And of those 10 games of Riley, he didn't play the full game in at least three of them (four depending how you want to count the Washington game in 2010).



We've just had such crappy QB play for three years, that I hope Taysom can finally give us some decent play from that position.



As others have said, he's got the best win of any QB the last three years. The win over USU is tied for the most wins by an FBS opponent that lost to BYU since 1990. The other opponent with 11 wins was TCU in 2006.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
When it comes to Heaps and Riley, here's what we know:



1) Heaps potential > Riley's potential



2) Heapites and Rileyites will never get along unless they are converted and become Hillites.
G
Guest
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.




You can call it the Has-beens or never weres. First topic of discussion--Brett Engemann--better or worse than Steve Lindsley?
F
frdbtr
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I trust bronco on QB's. I think our issue last year was the Oline. If the Oline had played even half as good as our worst coached Oline under Jeff Grimes, Riley doesn't get hurt 6 quarters into the season and we have a much more satisfying year. Everyone is using Riley as a whipping boy because he beat out "the one" who left the team, but he wasn't the real issue last year.



By the way, I think Taysom is going to deliver on all the predictions that Heaps made for himself and rewrite all the record books for BYU QB's.


Still blaming Heaps--even for Riley's sins? Good one. I'm sure Riley feels honored.

Mr "I'm not going to change" didn't need a bad Oline to get hurt. He was still battering into LBs like he was a chihuahua taking on pit bulls. High on "tougher than us all" GRIT, low on skills otherwise required by a QB. Made the most of is chances. Credit Riley! Huge heart. Went down in infamy and all you can do is blame Heaps.

And now you want to further drag Heaps through the mud, extend the bad times by comparing to the future? You need a life. You might be right about THill, but just the last one to figure that out.


I sure would like you to show me in my post where I blamed Heaps for Riley's failures. I did, however, blame Heaps for the fans hatred of Riley and I have a pretty good argument for that. Fans proclaimed Heaps "the one" before he ever threw a pass for BYU. When Riley replaced him and actually looked like a BYU QB all the Heaps worshippers were just lying in wait for him to struggle and then they piled on him in spades. Riley was a bad QB last year, but if he had an Oline and didn't get injured 6 quarters into the season, he may not have been. We can only speculate.
G
Guest
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.




You can call it the Has-beens or never weres. First topic of discussion--Brett Engemann--better or worse than Steve Lindsley?


:lol: :lol: Sweet!
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.




You can call it the Has-beens or never weres. First topic of discussion--Brett Engemann--better or worse than Steve Lindsley?


How about the Dead Horse forum...
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarfan87 wrote:
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.




You can call it the Has-beens or never weres. First topic of discussion--Brett Engemann--better or worse than Steve Lindsley?

Great Question! But I gotta go with Engemann being worse.



The stats:

Lindsley: 127.27 PER in 11 games where he attempted 10 or more passes, BYU was 6-5 as a starter. 4 games above 135 PER standard. 12 TD 19 INT.



Engemann: 109.06 PER in 12 games where he attempted 10 or more passes. BYU was 5-7 in those games. Two games above 135 PER standard. 9 TD 15 INT.
C
Cougarfan87
Gunk wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.




You can call it the Has-beens or never weres. First topic of discussion--Brett Engemann--better or worse than Steve Lindsley?


How about the Dead Horse forum...


Great idea! There is no logical reason to be arguing about QBs no longer on the team, so it is certainly like beating a dead horse. :lol:
C
Cougarfan87
SpiffCoug wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.




You can call it the Has-beens or never weres. First topic of discussion--Brett Engemann--better or worse than Steve Lindsley?

Great Question! But I gotta go with Engemann being worse.



The stats:

Lindsley: 127.27 PER in 11 games where he attempted 10 or more passes, BYU was 6-5 as a starter. 4 games above 135 PER standard. 12 TD 19 INT.



Engemann: 109.06 PER in 12 games where he attempted 10 or more passes. BYU was 5-7 in those games. Two games above 135 PER standard. 9 TD 15 INT.


I can't believe you found those stats so quickly! I'll have to pick some more obscure QBs next time. :lol:



BTW, are we accounting for supporting cast and strength of schedule. Because you know that Lindsley had some players that played on the National Championship team, and I think Engemann played some pretty tough teams. Although, he did have Staley. ;) Speaking of dead horses, that is one think Crowton was able to do--use Luke Staley effectively. Is it just me, or was he much better under Crowton's offense in 2001 than under Chow, or was it Reynolds in 2000? Truly a topic worthy of the dead horse forum.
C
crazycougar84601
SpiffCoug wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I'm thinking of creating another subforum where people can argue about old bad BYU QBs and not annoy the other posters.




You can call it the Has-beens or never weres. First topic of discussion--Brett Engemann--better or worse than Steve Lindsley?

Great Question! But I gotta go with Engemann being worse.



The stats:

Lindsley: 127.27 PER in 11 games where he attempted 10 or more passes, BYU was 6-5 as a starter. 4 games above 135 PER standard. 12 TD 19 INT.



Engemann: 109.06 PER in 12 games where he attempted 10 or more passes. BYU was 5-7 in those games. Two games above 135 PER standard. 9 TD 15 INT.




I still can't get over the Don Dixon/Gary Dunn/Ron & Wayne Startin QB battle in 1957, we had so much potential that year
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.