Archived Topic

Good on Alex Smith

by CrimsonCoug · 3/13/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I didn't read the article but I couldn't care less if he donated his entire fortune to the poor, I can't stand him. When he said that he was going to "give cougar fans a lesson in #1 draft pics" I decided I would never root for him or any team he played for. Now that he is gone, I can start following the niners again.
C
CrimsonCoug
frdbtr wrote:
I didn't read the article but I couldn't care less if he donated his entire fortune to the poor, I can't stand him. When he said that he was going to "give cougar fans a lesson in #1 draft pics" I decided I would never root for him or any team he played for. Now that he is gone, I can start following the niners again.


Wow, bud. That's really too bad.
A
ABYUFAN
CrimsonCoug wrote:
I didn't read the article but I couldn't care less if he donated his entire fortune to the poor, I can't stand him. When he said that he was going to "give cougar fans a lesson in #1 draft pics" I decided I would never root for him or any team he played for. Now that he is gone, I can start following the niners again.


Wow, bud. That's really too bad.

Why? Doesn't he already have enough people that like him? He won't miss another one (or two) BTW - He doesn't ask about me after my day at work....
S
Schmoe
Gotta agree with ABYUFAN. The Utes couldn't do enough chest thumping when they had two #1 overall picks. Alex Smith was awful for years and then had one good season that he got a contract out of, good for him, but that doesn't mean that I have to root for him (and don't me started on Bogut...)
Advertisement
T
trueblue72
Regardless of whether you cheer for him or not is beside the point. This is a very good article and shows what kind of person he is. Thanks for sharing the article Crimson Coug
L
Lawboy
Smith is alright, I guess. He's no Eric Weddle though.
C
CrimsonCoug
ABYUFAN wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I didn't read the article but I couldn't care less if he donated his entire fortune to the poor, I can't stand him. When he said that he was going to "give cougar fans a lesson in #1 draft pics" I decided I would never root for him or any team he played for. Now that he is gone, I can start following the niners again.


Wow, bud. That's really too bad.

Why? Doesn't he already have enough people that like him? He won't miss another one (or two) BTW - He doesn't ask about me after my day at work....


Not to bad for Smith that someone can't stand him, too bad for the guy so hung up on what a college kid said years ago as a competitor that it precludes appreciating some really good work he's done since. That's a lot of bitterness to be toting around. What Smith did with his money is impressive and could (I won't be so paternalistic as to say should) be appreciated and enjoyed.
C
CrimsonCoug
Schmoe wrote:
Gotta agree with ABYUFAN. The Utes couldn't do enough chest thumping when they had two #1 overall picks. Alex Smith was awful for years and then had one good season that he got a contract out of, good for him, but that doesn't mean that I have to root for him (and don't me started on Bogut...)

Nobody said anything about rooting for him. But I'm a fan of that kind of character. Makes me hope he has good fortune in other parts of his life and wish him luck.
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
Smith is alright, I guess. He's no Eric Weddle though.


I actually root for Eric Weddle. He never made an ass out of himself trying to piss off BYU fans. Even the trash talking he did in the media was good natured. He is a good dude and proved it with the class he showed after the "answered prayer". Alex Smith was a sore winner and in my book that is WAY worse than being a sore loser.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
CrimsonCoug wrote:
CrimsonCoug wrote:
I didn't read the article but I couldn't care less if he donated his entire fortune to the poor, I can't stand him. When he said that he was going to "give cougar fans a lesson in #1 draft pics" I decided I would never root for him or any team he played for. Now that he is gone, I can start following the niners again.


Wow, bud. That's really too bad.

Why? Doesn't he already have enough people that like him? He won't miss another one (or two) BTW - He doesn't ask about me after my day at work....


Not to bad for Smith that someone can't stand him, too bad for the guy so hung up on what a college kid said years ago as a competitor that it precludes appreciating some really good work he's done since. That's a lot of bitterness to be toting around. What Smith did with his money is impressive and could (I won't be so paternalistic as to say should) be appreciated and enjoyed.


I don't have any more bitterness than I would have against any player of any sport. I just don't have to root for him. I rooted against the niners when they played in the NFC championship. I also don't like Tom Brady because I think he is an arrogant ass. I don't like the patriots, I root against them when they play, doesn't mean I have any bitterness towards them, I just don't like to see them win. I don't like to see Alex Smith successful because I think he is an ass. Why don't you go to a ute board and poll them about Max Hall if you want to see bitter.
S
Schmoe
CrimsonCoug wrote:
Gotta agree with ABYUFAN. The Utes couldn't do enough chest thumping when they had two #1 overall picks. Alex Smith was awful for years and then had one good season that he got a contract out of, good for him, but that doesn't mean that I have to root for him (and don't me started on Bogut...)

Nobody said anything about rooting for him. But I'm a fan of that kind of character. Makes me hope he has good fortune in other parts of his life and wish him luck.


Ummm, ABYUFAN, with whom I agreed, DID say something about rooting for him. So yes, someone did say something about rooting for him. I'm sorry that I don't root for the guys you think I should, it doesn't mean I harbor feelings of ill will towards them in life, I just don't root for the teams they're on (I do the same with pretty much all other Uties as well). In a perfect world everyone would agree with you and we'd all be unicorns who cried rainbow tears that played Elton John songs. But, alas, we live in the real world and people have different opinions. Good for him for doing something good; I'm still not rooting for him to win football games.
M
Mars


Smith sucks as a player, and I don't like him as a person either.
C
CrimsonCoug
I think ABYUFAN said "like" rather than "root", but maybe that's splitting semantic hairs.

I never said anyone "should" do anything; I carefully said could.

And really, I'm not trying to stir up debate. I was just bringing up something that I thought was an admirable use of a young guy's money to be engaged in the work he has been. That's it. I don't follow Smith or have a rooting interest in his game. I think his words as a college kid were probably influenced by his coach, and would hope he (and we) have grown up a bit since then.

I do, though, think it's a bit ironic that this post got this kind of reaction at the same time as the "How Can Anyone Like Cougarboard" thread. Not particularly chuffed about it. Just sayin. :)

But yeah, the point is, Smith has put his money to good use; a fair bit better than the vast majority of pro athletes, by the sound of it.
J
JayhawkCoug
As a byu and denver bronco fan, I am hoping to see him fail terribly. As a player, of course ;).
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
CrimsonCoug wrote:
I think ABYUFAN said "like" rather than "root", but maybe that's splitting semantic hairs.


You're absolutely right, it wasn't ABYUFAN, it was frdbtr who posted even earlier in the thread ;)
A
ABYUFAN
By "Like" I should have put, given special consideration" There are a bunch of people who do good that I don't give any special consideration to - and I guess all I can say is "good for them".... the only reason this article was put on this board is because he is a former Ute. As a former Ute he's not entitled to any more of my consideration than the millions of others who do good for our society.
J
jonnylingo
CrimsonCoug wrote:
I didn't read the article but I couldn't care less if he donated his entire fortune to the poor, I can't stand him. When he said that he was going to "give cougar fans a lesson in #1 draft pics" I decided I would never root for him or any team he played for. Now that he is gone, I can start following the niners again.


Wow, bud. That's really too bad.


No its not. don't over do it. frdbtr doesn't stay up at night with hate, its just a rivalry thing.
C
CrimsonCoug
Fair enough, ABYUFAN--I had posted it because here there had been other threads posted on him in the past, signalling that this might be of interest for some--but certainly not all (but what post is?).

And you're right, too, Schmoe. By "Nobody said anything about rooting for him..." I meant "I never said anything about rooting for him..."

Which, yeah, is the height of hubris! Sorry 'bout that!

8)
J
jonnylingo
CrimsonCoug wrote:
Fair enough, ABYUFAN--I had posted it because here there had been other threads posted on him in the past, signalling that this might be of interest for some--but certainly not all (but what post is?).

And you're right, too, Schmoe. By "Nobody said anything about rooting for him..." I meant "I never said anything about rooting for him..."

Which, yeah, is the height of hubris! Sorry 'bout that!

8)


thanks for posting. just because people disagree doesn't mean you shouldn't post it.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.