Archived Topic

Brandon Doman = Done with coaching

by snoscythe · 3/13/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I've heard that Doman does not want to leave Provo and as such he will not be returning to coaching. For him it was BYU or nothing. He's been smart with his coin and he has quite a few opportunities in Utah County that will keep him more than occupied and provide well for him and his. Coaching at BYU was his "dream job," but coaching anywhere else would just be a job, so he's staying put.



Just thought I'd share.
S
scott715
I believe it but I am disappointed. I hoped he would go elsewhere and become a better coach. Then return someday to the y for greater success.
B
BroncoBot
Too bad, Doman was one of the few bright spots during my freshman year at BYU in 2000.
N
northerncougar
I don't know if Doman would ever end up being a great coach, and I hope for him that he is happy and successful in what he does next. I don't think he was a bad OC, but just in over his head.



Nothing he did at BYU as a coach will diminish the pure joy he brought me in the comeback wins against Utah in 2000 and 2001. He will always be a total stud in my book for those two games alone.
M
Mars


I had heard this as well, from a very reliable source.



Glad to hear he's not moving to Canada...
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
northerncougar wrote:
I don't know if Doman would ever end up being a great coach, and I hope for him that he is happy and successful in what he does next. I don't think he was a bad OC, but just in over his head.



Nothing he did at BYU as a coach will diminish the pure joy he brought me in the comeback wins against Utah in 2000 and 2001. He will always be a total stud in my book for those two games alone.

I think it is difficult to become a great coach by staying within one program. I also don't evny being a football coach. There is so much turnover and moving around and very little job security that I can completely understand a person not wanting to live that life. I didn't like moving every two-three years growing up as an Army brat.
E
EM_Puma
Kind of sad for him because he is a great guy. I think he has the talent to become a good coach. He was an awesome recrutiter. Maybe he's also taking his calling as being a bishop serious enough that he doesn't want to up and run from that as well. He just seems like he needs to be in the BYU athletic department somewhere, but I doubt he'll have any problem finding opportunities for a lot of coin and might actually be happier with more time for the fam.
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:
I don't know if Doman would ever end up being a great coach, and I hope for him that he is happy and successful in what he does next. I don't think he was a bad OC, but just in over his head.



Nothing he did at BYU as a coach will diminish the pure joy he brought me in the comeback wins against Utah in 2000 and 2001. He will always be a total stud in my book for those two games alone.

I think it is difficult to become a great coach by staying within one program. I also don't evny being a football coach. There is so much turnover and moving around and very little job security that I can completely understand a person not wanting to live that life. I didn't like moving every two-three years growing up as an Army brat.


Army brat? I thought you were a stockbroker? 8)
D
Ddawg
Thanks for sharing Sno. I rely on you guys that are connected and have "the scoop." I have been a big fan of Brandon Doman for years. I think he could have been a good OC - he just needed more development, and better assisting coaches. Water under the bridge.



I think he is a solid, stand-up guy. There aren't many of those guys around. I wish him well. I do hope he stays connected with Coug football in some way.
K
KYCoug
SpiffCoug wrote:
I don't know if Doman would ever end up being a great coach, and I hope for him that he is happy and successful in what he does next. I don't think he was a bad OC, but just in over his head.



Nothing he did at BYU as a coach will diminish the pure joy he brought me in the comeback wins against Utah in 2000 and 2001. He will always be a total stud in my book for those two games alone.

I think it is difficult to become a great coach by staying within one program. I also don't evny being a football coach. There is so much turnover and moving around and very little job security that I can completely understand a person not wanting to live that life. I didn't like moving every two-three years growing up as an Army brat.


We also need to get over the fixation that the last great player will be the next great coach. There is not necessarily a connection. At least it seems to me there are as many great coaches who were just average players or not players at all.
Advertisement
G
Guest
KYCoug wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
I don't know if Doman would ever end up being a great coach, and I hope for him that he is happy and successful in what he does next. I don't think he was a bad OC, but just in over his head.



Nothing he did at BYU as a coach will diminish the pure joy he brought me in the comeback wins against Utah in 2000 and 2001. He will always be a total stud in my book for those two games alone.

I think it is difficult to become a great coach by staying within one program. I also don't evny being a football coach. There is so much turnover and moving around and very little job security that I can completely understand a person not wanting to live that life. I didn't like moving every two-three years growing up as an Army brat.


We also need to get over the fixation that the last great player will be the next great coach. There is not necessarily a connection. At least it seems to me there are as many great coaches who were just average players or not players at all.


Exactly.



I think it would be very interesting to do a poll of all college coaches and find out the percentages that were star athletes before coaching.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I can totally understand not moving. Moving sucks and if you don't have to, don't even do it. Best of luck to Coach Doman, and I'm sure he'll find something else local if he wants it.
L
Lawboy
I would not close the book on this just yet. I think he is taking a year break, and working with his brothers business, then will reevaluate. Much like Jaime Hill, he has a 2 year parachute from BYU, so the urgency to find an income replacement is not there just yet.



Plus, he is a bishop, and that 2 year cushion allows him to stay home and serve. If he does not look for jobs within the next 2 years, we can say he is done for good. But not until then.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.