Archived Topic

News from camp.

by frdbtr · 3/12/2013

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I didn't see this being discussed elsewhere so I thought I would start a thread.



Andrew George: GA working as the assistant coach coaching inside recievers/TE's



Houston Reynolds: Career ending injury, probably will not be back with the team.
G
Guest
Glad to have AG back with the team. The guy is a real stud and loved playing TE for the Cougars.



Sad to hear about HR.
F
frdbtr
In the interview with Anae, Anae said it was a "probably career ending injury" but in Wrubell's article he said that the training staff is that Houston is definately out for spring and his status is unknown for the future, so I guess his issue is still up in the air.



My initial post was after listening to the interviews but before reading Wrubell's cougar tracks so I guess I spoke a bit too soon and there is a possibility that he will be back.
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
In the interview with Anae, Anae said it was a "probably career ending injury" but in Wrubell's article he said that the training staff is that Houston is definately out for spring and his status is unknown for the future, so I guess his issue is still up in the air.



My initial post was after listening to the interviews but before reading Wrubell's cougar tracks so I guess I spoke a bit too soon and there is a possibility that he will be back.


Is this something he has been battling or a new injury?
F
frdbtr
northerncougar wrote:
In the interview with Anae, Anae said it was a "probably career ending injury" but in Wrubell's article he said that the training staff is that Houston is definately out for spring and his status is unknown for the future, so I guess his issue is still up in the air.



My initial post was after listening to the interviews but before reading Wrubell's cougar tracks so I guess I spoke a bit too soon and there is a possibility that he will be back.


Is this something he has been battling or a new injury?


It was the injury that ended his season last year. An achilles tear, I think.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Reynolds was injured in the Utah game. Probably, but nor certain, career ending.



Rumors about Famika Anae making a comeback were put to rest by his dad. He is with the team as a student assistant coach. Probably teaching nastiness, because he certainly had a bit of it.



Shocker for me was that Ryker Matthews is sitting out after having surgery on both hips unless I gor the wrong Matthews. Can someone confirm?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Anyone got any GOOD news?
Y
Y12
Cougarbib wrote:
Reynolds was injured in the Utah game. Probably, but nor certain, career ending.



Rumors about Famika Anae making a comeback were put to rest by his dad. He is with the team as a student assistant coach. Probably teaching nastiness, because he certainly had a bit of it.



Shocker for me was that Ryker Matthews is sitting out after having surgery on both hips unless I gor the wrong Matthews. Can someone confirm?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ryker had surgery. Not sure what exactly, but he was tweeting about it back in january.
Y
Y12
BroncoBot wrote:
Anyone got any GOOD news?


Bronson was back.
J
jonnylingo
Y12 wrote:
Reynolds was injured in the Utah game. Probably, but nor certain, career ending.



Rumors about Famika Anae making a comeback were put to rest by his dad. He is with the team as a student assistant coach. Probably teaching nastiness, because he certainly had a bit of it.



Shocker for me was that Ryker Matthews is sitting out after having surgery on both hips unless I gor the wrong Matthews. Can someone confirm?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ryker had surgery. Not sure what exactly, but he was tweeting about it back in january.


hips.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
In the interview with Anae, Anae said it was a "probably career ending injury" but in Wrubell's article he said that the training staff is that Houston is definately out for spring and his status is unknown for the future, so I guess his issue is still up in the air.



My initial post was after listening to the interviews but before reading Wrubell's cougar tracks so I guess I spoke a bit too soon and there is a possibility that he will be back.


Is this something he has been battling or a new injury?


It was the injury that ended his season last year. An achilles tear, I think.


it was during the utah game. the fact that it is not certain at this point is not a good sign. i doubt him comes back and even if he does he may not be the same. real shame.
B
BroncoBot
Achilles injuries are difficult to heal, have a high re-rupture rate. Especially at the size and athletic ability of Reynolds. Not a good thing if it re-ruptured. Good luck to him.
K
KYCoug
Would be nice to hear some news, any news from camp! :) Years past there was line upon line of analysis of every incomplete pass. Now all I hear is they are going hard and fast. Surly someone in happy valley has some info on how things are going!!!
S
SpiffCoug
KYCoug wrote:
Would be nice to hear some news, any news from camp! :) Years past there was line upon line of analysis of every incomplete pass. Now all I hear is they are going hard and fast. Surly someone in happy valley has some info on how things are going!!!

The team isn't practicing as often as in the past either. They're spreading out spring ball over multiple weeks instead of condensing it into a couple, three weeks.



I think BYU fans have hype fatigue as well. They're tired of practices that don't matter. Of talk that doesn't matter.



They care about games that matter. Nothing that happens right now really matters or is really worth worrying about.
M
mizzoucoug
BroncoBot wrote:
Achilles injuries are difficult to heal, have a high re-rupture rate. Especially at the size and athletic ability of Reynolds. Not a good thing if it re-ruptured. Good luck to him.


Really? I tore mine 4 years ago and at the time my doctor told me it would never rupture again due to the material (idk) they put in my leg. Man, I hope that's true. That's the worst injury of my life by far. I've actually been feeling pain in my other Achilles recently and am petrified that it will go too.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I have seen some articles written in the local papers as reporters have been allowed to attend some practices.



Hill has been getting all of the snaps with the ones and the snaps with the twos have been rotated daily between all of the others. They have not named a starter, but it clearly is Hill's to lose.



They are going to use a lot of running backs.



The offense is playing fast and the defense players have made comments that the offense is working as hard as the defense and have kind of made it clear that the new staff has a tougher work ethic.



The defense players said they are also working harder and that keeping up with the pace of the O is testing them.



They are having a lot of problems with the snap from center.



kVN has put on 5 pounds and wants to put on 5 more.



Inside linebackers are more athletic than Tree and Kavienga - just need to develop the same football IQ, Outside LBs both return, so they should be as good or better than 2012.



DL - replacing our stud Nose Tackle is biggest concern. Depth issues.



I did not see any detail about PER other than Olsen going 0-2 on one of his turns.
T
trueblue72
It is worth noting that the trouble with center snaps could be attributed that the people playing center currently are just in Spring Ball to give bodies until the 8 lineman arrive for fall ball.



Who is playing center.... Ryan Reynolds (not the actor) and Vaitai? If Vaitai is having trouble with snap that could be concerning since he could see time there... but it's spring and there is a lot of time to work on the snaps.



It is also worth noting that Holliday seems to be cut from the mold of the hard-core screaming and yelling coaches, which is what I think every staff needs. Having played football at the collegiate level I think every staff needs someone who is a screamer, preferably one on each side of the ball.



I am intrigued by the news of the ILB position... We are hearing a lot about Pikula and Unga, they appear to be playing well, I think Austen Jorgensen will play a much bigger role than people anticipate due to his ability to play both buck and mike,
S
scott715
Vaitai has never played center before, so there are growing pains there.
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
Achilles injuries are difficult to heal, have a high re-rupture rate. Especially at the size and athletic ability of Reynolds. Not a good thing if it re-ruptured. Good luck to him.


Really? I tore mine 4 years ago and at the time my doctor told me it would never rupture again due to the material (idk) they put in my leg. Man, I hope that's true. That's the worst injury of my life by far. I've actually been feeling pain in my other Achilles recently and am petrified that it will go too.

Sorry mizzoucoug, HIGH was the wrong word to use. After one year, the rerupture rate is very slim. But I'm surprised your doctor basically gave you a guarantee.



If you're interested... (4 of 89 had re-rerupture and they were all young athletes)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15611008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J
jonnylingo
I do not have practice fatigue. i can't get enough of any new information. the reason we have less to report is because this year the practices are closed accept for the last few minutes so there is much less public information to report. utah and byu have flopped. utah's are open now which i dont' think they were in the past and now byu's are more closed.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.