Archived Topic

Need a Team Grade and a Coach Rose grade....

by Cougs_Rule · 3/12/2013

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
....but I'm On east coast on business, and totally tired and wiped out after getting through all those players. Hawk, you're a glutton for punishment, but thanks for starting all those.
M
Mars


I guess they're similar for me.



BYU- B (barely NIT)



Coach Rose: C+ (never understood the substitutions this year, the walk-ons playing major roles, the wasted scholarships, the redshirt decisions, the players lost to injuries that looked obvious months before, the juco misses, the lack of defense, the lack of a real transition offense, the lack of offensive identity and plays in general, players not showing improvement, playing down to San Diego, not adapting to the refs, etc.).Then again, his future HS recruiting looks to be excellent.
S
SpiffCoug
C- for Rose.



Too many gambles that lost. Didn't have any an answer when teams got physical with Haws - which is a recurring theme, as he didn't have an answer for that with Jimmer either.



Had too look outside the program for help.
E
EM_Puma
What Mars said, but I only give Rose a C. His recruiting has been great over the years, but he really missed on his Juco signings this past season. This is the first time in some time that it felt like the team actually went down hill as the season progressed. Yet, for the first time in years, it wasn't plagued by injuries, discounting the two regular players lost just before the season began and too late for Rose to be able to do anything about it. That was unfortunate. I do appreciate that he did attempt to do something by at least bringing on Kaufusi, but that wasn't enough to compensate for the loss of Rogers/Collinsworth and the failure of the Juco players this season.



Since the 1-25 season, this season was probably 2nd in being most disappointing.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm actually beginning to wonder about the move to bring in Kaufusi.



Kaufusi joined the team after the bowl game. His first game was the Loyola Marymount game. BYU was 11-4. They finished 10-7. I think Kaufusi changed team dynamics and I'm not sure he was fully appreciated by his teammates.



Harward basically never saw the floor again. Sharp saw his minutes go down. Ambrosino rarely played as well.



I just have to wonder if there were some sour grapes with this footballer coming in and taking minutes from everyone. And the fans loved him because he played football - not necessiarly because he played well.



Just a thought.



Cleveland's last season was pretty disappointing as well.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
C- for Rose at best. JUCOs did not make the team better. Did not see improvement in the bigs over the prior year. Can't tell how assistants helped team. It all begins with Rose and a number of petals fell off this year.
M
Mars
BoiseBYU wrote:
Can't tell how assistants helped team.

This too. Nashif & Co. just don't scream "coaching talent".
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:

I just have to wonder if there were some sour grapes with this footballer coming in and taking minutes from everyone. And the fans loved him because he played football - not necessiarly because he played well.

If true, that's ridiculous. BYU had a soft front end schedule and so their 10-4 doesn't really tell the whole story. Kaufusi (and I'm not a believer that he was a big upgrade) did provide some quality minutes and some toughness to the defense. Other players, especially if they didn't like the move, should learn what they can from the big oaf and come back next year improved defensively.
A
ABYUFAN
For you giving grades of c- (or below) what were yoru expectations this year? If I'm remembering my grades correctly, c- is "below expectation" We won 20 games, and we'll win a couple in the NIT... I'm not willing to give the coaching staff an A, but I think he's closer to a B+ than he is to a C- Doesn't our RPI put us in the top 20%?
Advertisement
M
Mars
ABYUFAN wrote:
Doesn't our RPI put us in the top 20%?

RPI is 68.
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:
Doesn't our RPI put us in the top 20%?

RPI is 68.

Out of 370 something right? Not top 20 but top 20%
M
Mars
ABYUFAN wrote:
RPI is 68.
Out of 370 something right? Not top 20 but top 20%

Up to 347 now.
B
Brayden Green
BroncoBot wrote:

I just have to wonder if there were some sour grapes with this footballer coming in and taking minutes from everyone. And the fans loved him because he played football - not necessiarly because he played well.

If true, that's ridiculous. BYU had a soft front end schedule and so their 10-4 doesn't really tell the whole story. Kaufusi (and I'm not a believer that he was a big upgrade) did provide some quality minutes and some toughness to the defense. Other players, especially if they didn't like the move, should learn what they can from the big oaf and come back next year improved defensively.


I think that the fast start and slow finish has more to do with Haws' mission legs catching up with him than anything else. That also has to do with Rose not having a valid bench rotation and playing haws almost 38 minutes a game.
C
Cougs_Rule
The question with THaws is, Why the second half of the season slow down?

Possible explanations include--



-First half teams couldn't/didn't scout as well as teams in the WCC?

-First half teams were softer/weaker than conference teams?

-THaws does not have enough moves (not being critical, just evaluative) ie., can't live by turnarounds alone; Has To get better at three point shots?

-"Mission legs caught up with him" which is somewhat counterintuitive since he had the strength in the first half of season and most RMs are weaker then get stronger with time?

-Too many minutes for any player, not named Jimmer?

-does not have the overall body strength at the 3 to handle the pounding he was taking by opposing teams in WCC?

-no other legitimate, consistent threat for a scorer, except Davies, so defenses can focus help on shutting Haws down?

-should be playing the two?

-OR MY worst fear....Tyler, like in his freshman year, ran out of steam with the longer college schedule. I know he played year round in AAU and HS, but there is a rigor to a long NCAA season. I want to believe this is not true, but can't by itself be eliminated as yet, because it has happened 2 for 2.



I'm sure there are several contributing factors and not just one. And, he did keep his 20 ppg average. So how much did production really drop? Maybe the 42 point game made believers out of all of us, that he has a superstar potential in him.

Again, not criticizing, just wondering why the apparent second half slow down. I think I will also post this in the THaws grade thread.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.