Archived Topic

How can anyone like Cougar Board?

by JamieVallen · 3/12/2013

Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
I'm treated like such garbage there. Attacked for even saying even the smallest things. I was actually told that I have a, "Holier than thou" attitude. I'm always scared to admit it, but I'm not very active LDS, and it's for the way I've been treated by some of my fellow mormons in the past. I have almost the same semi-bad feeling on that site that i get when I ever walk into a church anymore. Just constant behind your back attacks.



I'm not in any way trying to say I'm better than anybody here or there. I feel everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how good or bad, but one of the reasons I changed my user name to my actual name, here and just about everywhere I post, is because I don't want to hide behind an anonymous name on a site, and at times speak badly of my fellow brethren. I feel like it has made me much more honest in the way i post.



I've tried not to take it personally, but it has started to get to me, especially after a post I made today venting a bit about some of the fans I was sitting around during the game down in Vegas on Saturday.



I may just scroll through the top 10 threads on that site from time to time and just stop reading the comments posted after the original poster, but I think I'm done... That site is full of people that tend to argue only for the sake of arguing. They attack people who post from other teams. There is a constant struggle to compare BYU to the U of U, and just a sense of it you're not one of their top posters that constantly gets nominated for POTD than you're a worthless nothing, who doesn't deserve to grace their vision with your posts. Just awful people... At least their Alias's for the matter...



What really sickens me, is that when people who are fans from other teams that are about to play BYU, and they look up on google for BYU sports forums, that is the first thing that pops up, it gives a terrible name for BYU fans and the mormon church. Because when everyday Joe sees how BYU fans are treating one another, and they will immediately assume that is the attitude of the church entirely. Just awful. I'll be pretty much spending my entire offseason on cougarcorner.
M
Mars


Well, kick up your feet here and stay awhile. Some truth can be found from many sources, but only CougarCorner contains the fullness of the hawkwing.



Go Cougars :crazy:
S
scott715
Sounds like a bunch of click groups. By the way I saw your post. It made the top 10. I would get off the boards if I wasn't addicted to it. Don't want to miss any breaking news.



I started the post of why you first came to the board. Trying to remind folks of why we are here. The mods try to keep things civil. As best as they can.



Perhaps you are on to something. Maybe we should all use are real names.
J
JamieVallen
I just feel more comfortable here. I do admit its hard not to look at the other sites. It's nice to stay caught up. I Just need to stop reading all the comments following the original posts, and the posts that have the anti ute logo.That's where I get irritated.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
northerncougar
I read CB for the rumors and they do have some breaking news. I read CC for the good stuff.



The people here are good and even when things get a little heated here it usually doesn't get out of hand. I like the insights and good discussion of all things BYU sports.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I don't mind CB.



The problem with it is, there are so many posters that thread devolve very quickly over there. Whereas here, it usually takes three or four pages before the original post is forgotten and it's point/counterpoint. There it only takes three or four responses.
E
EM_Puma
I only read the top 10 treads at CB because in almost all cases someone derails the original post and for their own humerous intentions they make fun of what is being said. I like CC, but at times there's not much happening here. TBS had always been my favorite because you had a lot of those that seemed to really know what was going on, but after the B12 debacle, many left, and they have, as of yet, not returned.
B
BoiseBYU
JamieVallen wrote:
I just feel more comfortable here. I do admit its hard not to look at the other sites. It's nice to stay caught up. I Just need to stop reading all the comments following the original posts, and the posts that have the anti ute logo.That's where I get irritated.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm glad you're here
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:
I just feel more comfortable here. I do admit its hard not to look at the other sites. It's nice to stay caught up. I Just need to stop reading all the comments following the original posts, and the posts that have the anti ute logo.That's where I get irritated.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm glad you're here


Me too, hopefully we get together for lunch again soon.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I think I've become fully invested in CC, and I want to join that lunch, too. I browsed each of the other sites for several years as a guest, and it became apparent that this was the only one worth joining. For some reason, there's a culture on this site that encourages discussion and exchange, as opposed to point-proving. (Most of the time--you know who you are, people). I'm not sure what it is JamieVallen, but there is a special type of (don't know what word to use) hostility? volatility? wanting-to-be-right-regardless of the meaning or importance of the issue, which many fans channel into their online commentary. On another day and time, maybe we can discuss how religious and political elements contribute to that thinking, but I'll skip that here. I've also had the similar experiences of being next to fans that are just outright ridiculous. Seriously, there was this one guy I had my season tickets next to, I believe the 2010 season, that needed to be wedgied and his lunch money taken. Having a discussion online about such behavior should be okay, but I think that many readers over at the "bored" are likely those type of people themselves and need to work hard to preserve their status of indecency. By attacking and hindering people who decry their behavior, they can perpetuate it and preserve the opportunity to act like awful people at the next game, where they will probably shake their heads and dismiss that JamieVallen's comments as stupid or something, and then they become even more defensive and ridiculous. So, even talking about that issue online (which you should be able to do) feeds into their defensiveness (which they should not). And maybe this is out of context, but I thought I would offer this too. Even though I am active myself in the church, news articles like these: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55876876-78/church-lds-political-devisser.html.csp just drive me crazy too. Sorry for the rambling, but the bottom line is this: This site has the best of it all, and the others seem to occasionally offer a tidbit of news or preview of something before it hits mainstream media every once in a while. I find it too difficult to wade through the awfulness of the other sites for it to be worth it. I haven't even visited one of the other sites in 6 months+. I will contribute any insights of my own here forever and always. I really want this site to become head and shoulders more successful than the rest, which will happen by having a combination of good civil discourse in addition to timely news and insights. I will contribute my own insights, only here, forever and always. Me love you long time, CC.



-TVRC
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Your check is in the mail TVRC.
S
Stirfry
We love you Jamie. For what it's worth, I never look at any other boards. This board seems to be a place where people want to discuss and learn about the Cougars where the other boards seem to be places where people that like to live on boards hangout.




TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:
And maybe this is out of context, but I thought I would offer this too. Even though I am active myself in the church, news articles like these: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55876876-78/church-lds-political-devisser.html.csp just drive me crazy too.

-TVRC

At the risk of doing exactly what this thread talks about with taking a thread off topic, I can't help but appreciate the irony in this line from the Trib article:

"Mormons for Obama, however, put it on their site, outraged that an LDS leader would use his church post in such a way."
J
jonnylingo
JamieVallen wrote:
I just feel more comfortable here. I do admit its hard not to look at the other sites. It's nice to stay caught up. I Just need to stop reading all the comments following the original posts, and the posts that have the anti ute logo.That's where I get irritated.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


So i guess you are mad at me for my "yewt" hangman comment today? :P We are glad you are here. I get your frustration with that board. I enjoy it but it is full of idiots. don't take it personal. If they are all mad at you take it as a sign that you are on the right track.



cougarboard is pretty clicky to which I find funny for a message board.
F
Fido
I look at CB once in a great while to see if there are any substantiated rumors or news--but I mostly don't like the format. I've never spent much time there. I've been to a couple other sites but most of the others I've been to don't have much traffic. This one seems fine.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
SpiffCoug wrote:
Your check is in the mail TVRC.

YESSSS!!! Now all I have to do is come up with some unique insights which are actually contributing to CC. Easier said than done. Here are my areas of expertise which can be called upon if needed. Take any topic and cross-breed it with BYU football, and BAM, there's your insight: dodgeball, the Eastern Front of WWII, regression analysis, business/market analysis, sociology, getting into a PhD program, why investing in a PhD program is a bad idea, Hurricane Katrina, how to transfer to lots of different colleges, crochet needlework, exoplanets (I find the search of these to be fascinating, we will totally be finding another Earth in 2013), useless information gatherings, LARP (wait..what??), woodcarving with a dremel, passing out in the JSB bathroom with my pants down, North Carolina forestry services, Civil War (for the South) and Revolutionary War ancestry, the tv show The Americans, subdural hematomas, and, uh, gardening. There, if you want to know about any of these things, I'm your man (or maybe I'm not a man, this is online communication, after all, you don't know who or what I am).



My postings tend to gravitate toward these off-topics, which I shall continue to post in the future ever the more boldly. Others will have to wade through this nonsense in order to get to the real tidbits of information and meaningful discussion which is why they come to this site in the first place. This now begs the question, is wading through nonsensical postings any better than wading through vitriolic, point-proving postings in order to obtain information that which is desired to sate and satisfy one's BYU football information cravings? And a follow-up, if I have 100 postings, 98 of which are nonsensical, bastard children of the aforementioned topics with BYU football musings, and 2 of which are actual insightful tidbits which others may be interested in--does this make it worth it? What is the appropriate ratio of toleration of nonsense?



Where is my check now, Mr. Hawkwing? (If that's your real name, and sex for that matter)
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
I like CB, but I never post so I don't really get involved. The fact of the matter is that forum is meant for mass information and mass posting. It's pretty messy but can be very fun to read. We don't get near the volume of information here. But that is a good thing too.
G
Guest
I enjoy the insights we get here at CougarCorner. I wish we had a bit more regular posters, but I'm not sure how to increase that while keeping the quality up. If anyone has great ideas, let me know. If we could bring in another 10-20 or so regular posters, I think we'd have a real great mix of active participants and deep quality posts.
C
crazycougar84601
Ok fine. I will start posting. :)
G
Guest
crazycougar84601 wrote:
Ok fine. I will start posting. :)

:D :D :D



Welcome back, crazy!
C
crazycougar84601
I have been here the whole time...just don't usually post. I am that creepy guy in the corner.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.