Archived Topic

Sklyer Halford SLCC Committed 2013-14

by scott715 · 3/5/2013

Advertisement
S
scott715
SLCC combo guard Skyler Halford (6'1", 180 lbs.) verbally committed to Dave Rose's BYU Basketball program today; will sign in the spring. per Greg Wrubell



In 30 games with SLCC (No. 6-ranked juco), Halford avg 17.6 ppg, 47.3% FG, 42.1% 3PFG, 92.2% FT, 4.6 rpg, 3.9 apg. Started 28 gms, 32.0 mpg.



Halford hit on 61 of 145 3PFGA (42.1%), 113 of 223 2PFGA (51%). 1.8-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio; 1.7 steals/game.
B
beauso79
I'm sorry but I'm really not all that excited about this commit unless he can play point. We can't afford another Cusick right now. I still think Delgado will be better than this Halford next year and will probably be a wasted scholarship because he's not tall enough to play the 3. We need a longer 3/4 type athlete that can hit the 3
B
BroncoBot
If Rose wants him, I want him.
C
Cougs_Rule
beauso79 wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm really not all that excited about this commit unless he can play point. We can't afford another Cusick right now. I still think Delgado will be better than this Halford next year and will probably be a wasted scholarship because he's not tall enough to play the 3. We need a longer 3/4 type athlete that can hit the 3


Maybe there wasn't one out there. maybe he's insurance against MC getting to where Rose wants. I'm not thrilled about another skinny white kid, but you know what's weird, as undersized as 6'2" 180 seems, consider that Sharp as a 4 is only a buck eighty.
N
nuk13
What's the highest % for 3 points shooting on the team? His 42.1 doesn't look bad if he can keep it close to that maybe it'll quiet the rumblings over poor 3pt. shooting.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Maybe he can be our "Heslip" a la Baylor. I just remember Delgado and Ambrosino hitting at a good clip from 3pt and look how that turned out. I still think Delgado could really help our team next year and I think Rose should give him a look as back-up point



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
It is a stretch to get excited about any JC BB players. As our BB first fans always remind us, there are a trillion D1 and other D schools with basketball teams. I am surprised a JC can even find a player with potential to be great. I know. There are exceptions. Rare exceptions.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
beauso79
Did some digging and supposedly Skyler was the SWAC player of the year and the MVP at the league championship tournament. He's supposedly a lock down defender and often draws the teams tougher defensive assignments. He shoots 92.2% from the FT line and 42% from 3pt. That's better than Tyler. Halford may have better handles than anyone on the team right now including Carlino. At least it gives me hope that we might actually be able to play man defense next year with the addition of KC and Halford. We are missing that big time this year. It was also said that this guy is not Cusick#2 and that Cusick would likely have a tough time seeing the floor for SLCC this year. Halford would likely be playing for USU right now if USU hadn't bungled their scholarships when Halford was on his mission
C
Cougs_Rule
Nice report. Thanks. MC will hopefully figure out what Rose wants and doesn't want and that Rose is in charge of his team.
M
Mars
beauso79 wrote:
Halford would likely be playing for USU right now if USU hadn't bungled their scholarships when Halford was on his mission

Halford got home from a mission in 2011. USU did not offer him in 2011, 2012, or 2013. That's a choice, not an accident.
Advertisement
S
scott715
He redshirted at USU then went on his mission.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
Halford would likely be playing for USU right now if USU hadn't bungled their scholarships when Halford was on his mission

That's a choice, not an accident.

Yeah, and USU hasn't been all that great for a while.



BYU also made a choice. They decided to get this guy, I'm behind him as much as I am the Lone Peak crew right now.
Q
Qman
If he can shoot and play a little D I don't care where he comes from.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.