Archived Topic

JC corner Trammel goes down on 1st practice

by TulaneVandyRiceCoug · 3/5/2013

Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Ugh...any details yet? Apparently it was a knee injury, and he stayed down for a little while. I hate injuries. I hope he bounces back soon, he is a good one to have.
B
byucougar1
We will know more about the severity after MRI on left knee.
C
Cougs_Rule
Bummer. Doesn't sound good. Hope he's ok.
B
beauso79
Seriously, this is one spot on the field we can't afford to lose guys unless Leavitt can play corner
D
Ddawg
:bug: Ugggh! Mongo not happy with this news. I hope it's a strain. Some therapy, rest and a J-Dawg ;) .
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
beauso79 wrote:
Seriously, this is one spot on the field we can't afford to lose guys unless Leavitt can play corner


He was it. We needed this guy really bad. he as all but guaranteed to replace hadley. this is really bad news. crossing fingers that he will be ready by fall. even if minor injuyr he needs the practice the next few weeks will give him in bronco's system.
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
He was it. We needed this guy really bad. he as all but guaranteed to replace hadley.

Him, or Lee, or Comer, or Smith, or Hague...
G
golong
He was supposed to be evaluated on Tuesday but I've seen no official report on his actual injury, surgery, or how long he'll be out. Anyone know?
L
Lawboy
Heard rumblings that he is out this year, but unsubstantiated. If I had to bet $$$ on it, I;d expect him to get a medical redshirt.
C
Cougs_Rule
Lawboy wrote:
Heard rumblings that he is out this year, but unsubstantiated. If I had to bet $$$ on it, I;d expect him to get a medical redshirt.


I would also put money on this. His tears/emotions were not from pain, they were from very bad news that while needing confirmation via MRI, probably were consistent with major surgery and out for a year.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Lawboy wrote:
Heard rumblings that he is out this year, but unsubstantiated. If I had to bet $$$ on it, I;d expect him to get a medical redshirt.


Suck - wasn't Jordan Smith moved back to DB for depth?? Maybe he can rise up take the job as he's quite the athlete I believe
J
jonnylingo
Mars wrote:
He was it. We needed this guy really bad. he as all but guaranteed to replace hadley.

Him, or Lee, or Comer, or Smith, or Hague...


Not one of those has the potential trammel did. i think he was pretty much slated to be a starter.
B
BroncoBot
there it is... potential.



I feel bad for Trammel, hope he comes back hungry. Meanwhile, it's time for someone to step up and prove they are capable of locking down some receivers.
T
trueblue72
I hope all goes well and he's back for fall. Comer who left the team last year was second on the depth chart before he quit, so I doubt he's chopped liver.



I know I will crucified for saying this but I think maybe we should put JJ at Boundary, I wasn't all that impressed with him last year. I heard everyone complain about Hadley but if a team was looking for a big play or needed some yardage in a desperate situation they went after JJ every time.



The aforementioned will not happen but it's just my 2 cents...



If we don't have Trammel and no one separate's themselves from the rest of the group then the most physical player should be in as the boundary corner. The BC is a heavy run support position, our corner blitzes come from here and of the two corner positions this is one that will play bump and only 5-7 yards off to be more physical.



I think it will come down to Comer and Hague (if Trammell is out) Comer is a well built kid and Hague isn't afraid of contact and he has pretty good technique.
F
frdbtr
They did pick on JJ a lot last year but he was just a sophomore last year and had never played DB before coming to BYU. He will keep improving.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
BYU corners tend to be the whipping boys. Mostly by people who do not understand the scheme and how BYU chooses to play their corners. And people act like a corner should never get beat in space, which is laughable. Even Revis gets beat when asked to cover for too long, or by solid execution.



JJ was great at FC, and Hadley was the best boundary BYU has had in the Bronco era. Logan a close second. It is no coincidence that BYU's defensive ranking gradually improved with those 2 guys at corner.



JJ is too small to play boundary. In the 3-4, you want a bigger guy who tackles better at that spot. Does not have to cover awesome, but well enough, because usually has safety help over the top. Field corner often does not, so needs better cover skills. If can tackle also, that is a bonus.



If Trammell can't go, Hague has cross trained at boundary, but I think he was slotted as our nickel back this year, so that would change that. Other options include moving Comer to boundary or Bateman or PoVey. It is easily our thinnest position on defense.



http://byuroster.com/depth-chart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
beauso79
Trammell has torn ACL and is done for the year. Who's going to start in Trammells spot?? Is McTyer still available......lol??
T
trueblue72
Lawboy, I understand the scheme. My thought behind having JJ at BC was because he will have safety help, which will help him in run support. With more time JJ will be very good, I don't think he should be moved to BC, was more throwing a hypothetical out.



Trammell is out with an ACL tear, just heard it. Crap.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I hate the ACL injury. Recovery just takes forever. Having surgery in the month of March might make him available to play in spring camp of 2014, but even that is no guarantee. Sheesh. All I can say is just do your best with school in the mean time, continue watching and learning the system and stay involved in every way possible with the team, and give rehab and physical therapy your all, young man. You'll be back, Trammel, and we will need you in 2014!
L
Lawboy
Bronco said Mike Hague will possibly be slotted at Boundary now, and was expected to be the nickel. Sam Lee comes in this fall, so he might get a shot as well, most likely in boundary or nickel. I just want a guy who is physical and can cover, like we had with Logan and Hadley. That was a solid run of play from that spot with those 2 guys.



Does not sounds like they want to move Comer over yet, he'll most likely end up being JJ's back-up.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.